Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas present for new partner

Options
  • 08-12-2018 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Just looking for advice on Christmas gift ideas for girl I gave been going out with for 6 months and how much I should spend?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Some jewellery, Newbridge maybe about €50/75.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Eww not Newbridge jewellery. Unless she's an elderly American lady with cheap taste!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

You know her better than we do. What's her interests?

6 months. .. if you have any long-term interest in the girl then it's not how much it costs but what she likes should be the thing to think about Imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭fire_man

She enjoys running,gym,music etc.I was thinking about 150e in total.Does that sound ok?

• Advertisement

fire_man wrote: »
    She enjoys running,gym,music etc.I was thinking about 150e in total.Does that sound ok?

Have you discussed a budget with her? Personally I think that's a bit much for someone you've only been with a few months. It's very generous but if she's not spending a similar amount it could be a bit embarrassing for you both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Absolutely ok. You gotta know she's probably in the same boat...
    I'd go the spray gun approach with lots of small stuff, perfumes, bodywashes, DVD, jewellery, tickets, hats gloves whatever. Make up a hamper or christmas box and see how it goes.
    Better than a one present approach imo.

Yes was thinking the same buying 4 or 5 small gifts .I don't want to sound frugal bringing up a budget!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

fire_man wrote:
    Yes was thinking the same buying 4 or 5 small gifts .I don't want to sound frugal bringing up a budget!

You know her better, but I think trying to discuss it is a good idea, she's probably wondering how much to spend too. Don't bring it up directly if you don't want but say something jokey about that might lead there it to gauge her reaction.
    If you're buying small things make sure they're brands/colours she already uses and will use last thing anyone want is stuff they can't use and can't throw away cos it was a gift.
    I'd be way more inclined to buy an experience gift - tickets, a spa day, an adventure or something you both do together.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Buy her runners and a CD. Ticks all the boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Maybe tickets to a gig? Any gigs in the new year that she'd be in to? You could buy other bits and bobs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Dublin City Marathon entry
    opps too late

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭EarlyStorms

The price doesn't really matter, spend what you can afford. What matters is that you've put some thought into her gift. Don't just get her some random gift, get her a new bottle of her favourite perfume, new running shoes as above is a good one, some kind of fitbit if she hasn't already got one, something you know she'll like and use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

Maybe tickets to a gig? .

A pair of tickets, or a weekend away. They are my go to remedy as well.

Make sure it's a gig that you want to see, or someplace that you want to go to. Sure she'll enjoy your company anyway.

Funny just how cynical you get as you get older!

I wouldn't buy her running shoes. If she's a serious runners she's probably going to want to do that herself, it's got to be the right pair for her gait etc. Maybe a voucher for a pair or something techy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

eviltwin wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy her running shoes. If she's a serious runners she's probably going to want to do that herself, it's got to be the right pair for her gait etc. Maybe a voucher for a pair or something techy?

While I'd agree with first suggestion - don't really like the vouchers as gift for someone I care about; unless SO gave "authorization" for a voucher - I wouldn't go for one.

- Don't envy you if you're still looking for suggestions at this stage. Good Luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Fit bit... Amazbit.... something for a "bit"???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

An iPod

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Well - Do NOT buy any of the following:-
    An iron
    Cheap scratchy polyester black and red 'lingerie'
    Gym membership
    Anything kitchen related
    A tartan shopping trolley

I wish I could remember the other horrors I've been presented with over the years.
    Go for several small personal gifts - perfume, bracelet, scented pillow (lavender), Clarins hand-cream, Egyptian cotton duvet set.... Little luxuries that she wouldn't splash out on herself. Happy Christmas.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Advertisement

Thanks all for suggestions. Looking at tickets for a gig in new year and some running gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A pearl necklace

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

She enjoys running,gym,music etc

Sorry, but that's awfully generic. You've described about 75% of women aged between 20 and 50 living in a capitalist country :D

After 6 months there should be something you know about her - what makes her tick? Stuff she likes to do for her own sake, for her enjoyment? I seriously hope the answer is not "listening to music" or "long walks on the beach"...

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Sorry, but that's awfully generic. You've described about 75% of women aged between 20 and 50 living in a capitalist country :D

After 6 months there should be something you know about her - what makes her tick? Stuff she likes to do for her own sake, for her enjoyment? I seriously hope the answer is not "listening to music" or "long walks on the beach"...

Hey if you have nothing useful to add no need to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Ask her what she wants, buy it for her, fook surprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

Was in a similar position myself a couple of years ago. The girl I was seeing was also big into her gym but liked getting all her own stuff.

So I just took notice of things she had in her house and went with a big Yankee candle and a bottle of wine she liked. She was delighted and was glad I had kept it simple. At the time I was sharing a house with 3 other lads, ages 22-29 and she bought me a little foosball table and a box of beer.

No need for big grand gestures, so try not to worry about it too much, as has been said. She's probably worried about the same thing.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    An iron
    Cheap scratchy polyester black and red 'lingerie'
    Gym membership
    Anything kitchen related
    A tartan shopping trolley
    Some great ideas here

Advertisement