Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chilli pepper plant - will it fruit year after year ?

Options
  • 09-10-2018 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭

I’ve a plant that was planted late in the year

I’m considering moving it from an I heated greenhouse to indoors

Is there any point? Will it bear the fruit of fire on year 2 ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they're usually an annual, but if you can overwinter it, it should survive. and it should fruit next year, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

Depends on the variety.
    I have a chilli plant in it's 4 year this year and it fruited will although I don't know it's name.
    I've a scotch bonnet plant that I started late and flowered but didn't fruit. I'm going to try overwinter it but they are not a hardy variety

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Depends on the variety.
    I have a chilli plant in it's 4 year this year and it fruited will although I don't know it's name.
    I've a scotch bonnet plant that I started late and flowered but didn't fruit. I'm going to try overwinter it but they are not a hardy variety

How does the yield compare in succeeding years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

Holy Diver wrote: »
    How does the yield compare in succeeding years?

Just as good. I repot it each year with fresh compost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭worded

Are bell peppers the same if over wintered ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Just as good. I repot it each year with fresh compost

I read during the week that the fruits decrease in size in following years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

No, most likely not.

Give it away, Give it away, Give it away, Give it away now.....

(Sorry)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

If you cut back the upper growth, and ensure the remainder of the plant neither freezes nor dries out, you should be grand for most varieties.

Next year, given that the rootball is already well-established, you will have an earlier and stronger upper growth.

I'd put it into a bigger pot with slightly moist compost and ensure it overwinters in a cool but frost-free area.

Start watering gently and feed it in the Spring, and come back in April and let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Or keep it somewhere with good light and warmth plus one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/TOPLANET-Update-Reflector-Spectrum-Greenhouse/dp/B078R9DG21 (or similar there are just too many to choose from).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭worded

Mango Joe wrote: »
    No, most likely not.

Give it away, Give it away, Give it away, Give it away now.....

(Sorry)

What I got I’m going to give it to your Ma Ma ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement