Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Oumuamua latest

• 07-11-2018 4:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭

So these professional astronomers are the first to stick their neck out and associate 'Oumuamua with aliens:

https://arxiv.org/abs/1810.11490

A solar lightsail seems too much of a stretch but it's at the very least a statistically anomalous object.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It is a very unusual object. It is believed to be very long and thin in shape from observations and has originated beyond the solar system.

Would it be at all possible to send out a probe to encounter it at close range? If it did turn out to be a spacecraft or alien artefact of artificial origin it would be the discovery of the millenium.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

It passed through the solar system rather quickly. I doubt we have anything that could catch it at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It is a very unusual object. It is believed to be very long and thin in shape from observations and has originated beyond the solar system.

All they got was a light curve. It could be long and thin, or it could be spherical and oddly marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Carol25

I dont know its ok to link youtube podcasts here but I heard this today.
    It is very interesting to listen to the possibilities and logical conclusions that can be made about oumuamua.

The Mysterious Interstellar Object Oumuamua With Harvards Dr. Avi Loeb - Event Horizon

Advertisement