Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to learn how to tattoo

• 08-11-2018 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

I've dropped out of college recently, I intend on going back but I'm not certain (it's expensive and I'd be starting back into first year).

In the mean time I'm going to get a job, but I want to not waste the year in my own eyes.. as it stands it feels like I'm wasting a year.

So I've bought Red Dead Redemption 2, that'll keep me going.. But I also want to learn a skill.

I'm interested in learning to tattoo, I wouldn't fancy tattooing people just yet but I want to learn.

I'm thinking of buying a kit online, buying some artificial canvases, oranges, grapefruits, pigs skin and what not and learning on that.
    I've no intention of tattooing a gullible friend or myself.. but if it's something I'm good at and I enjoy I might look at building a portfolio and hopefully starting an apprenticeship down the road.

I also want to get back into drawing, sketching and what not too, I haven't gone near it in a long time but I messed around with charcoal awhile back
    Here's an attempt https://imgur.com/gallery/Yqc1Rtd

I know it's not great, the details nonexistent but I enjoyed doing it and my mother thought it was nice enough to frame.. then again she framed drawings from my national school self..

I realise most people don't condone buying a tattoo gun online, but surely it's okay if I keep the ink to inanimate objects?

Are there any kits you'd recommend?
    How much should I be looking to spend?
    Where's the best place to buy canvases, the fruit and veg shop?

Any just any general advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I know most tattoo apprentices have probably studied art at college, but would it be possible to get into an apprenticeship with work I've done myself?

And just any feedback on my doodle would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

they used to say 'Pig Skin' is the best to practice on supposed to be the nearest to human,don't know about getting a kit online , seem to be fairly cheap but maybe not the way to go, tattooing seems to be the hardest to get into, Do you have tattoo's already,just go around the shops with your own drawings and maybe you'd be lucky enough to get in somewhere,probely not as glamours as it seems on the tv shows.just got one last week and while i was there a girl was shouting down the phone saying the ink had leaked from her tattoo that she got the day before and she wanted it fix NOW as you know it can look like this when just done but this girl did'nt and panicked.I'm sure you'll get more replies here , best of luck with it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

We don't usually allow discussion of your post here on the forums but f**k it--the forums dead so Ill allow it but Ill be watching this thread carefully.

Don't buy a kit online--theyre absolute ****.

The only advice I can give you is going the self learning route is very very difficult and not one Id recommend.

Draw every day like theres no tomorrow. Spend hours drawing. Every single day draw as much as you can.
    Then build up a portfolio and call to every single tattoo shop with that port folio and see if you can gain an apprenticeship. Be prepared for years of **** ,floor cleaning etc. WITH ZERO PAY--You aren't even entitled to the dole so you`ll need a night job to support yourself.

There are well known artists that are self taught but they are few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Hellrazer wrote: »
    We don't usually allow discussion of your post here on the forums but f**k it--the forums dead so Ill allow it but Ill be watching this thread carefully.

Don't buy a kit online--theyre absolute ****.

The only advice I can give you is going the self learning route is very very difficult and not one Id recommend.

Draw every day like theres no tomorrow. Spend hours drawing. Every single day draw as much as you can.
    Then build up a portfolio and call to every single tattoo shop with that port folio and see if you can gain an apprenticeship. Be prepared for years of **** ,floor cleaning etc. WITH ZERO PAY--You aren't even entitled to the dole so you`ll need a night job to support yourself.

There are well known artists that are self taught but they are few and far between.
    why are discussions not allowed ? thought that was the whole idea?:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

decky1 wrote: »
    why are discussions not allowed ? thought that was the whole idea?:rolleyes:

The specific discussion of home tattooing etc is frowned upon by the members of the forum and always was. We don't want 16 year old kids scarring themselves for life or spreading diseases because they think they can just pick up a machine bought off ebay and get going because its "cool"

This thread could be an interesting discussion so Ill leave it for the moment.

Advertisement