Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hiking in Beara Peninsula: Tips??

Options
  • 19-10-2018 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    Myself and my OH are heading off for 3 nights to stay near Lauragh on the Beara peninsula. We're hoping to do some nice looped walks (Maybe 4-6hrs..). We will also have a young (albeit well-behaved) Collie with us. Just wondering if any of ye good folk would have any good recommendations ? Glengarriff Horseshoe or a nice hike near Gougane Barra sound nice...Thanks in advance. P.S. Would love to do The Sheep's Head but seems dogs aren't welcome.

Comments

Hands up, been up every single one of the Cahas and done the full Beara Way (and running from the Top of Coom to Turners Rock across Gougane, Knockboy and the Priests Leap in a new hours) so I know Beara..but struggling to think of any routes that are dog friendly. I have seen people bring dogs out on Hungry Hill, though it is private farmland and think they're winging it rather than it being definitely allowed. In fact signs on the Beara Way very clearly warn about no dogs, so doubt things improve off it. The trails through the woods around the back of Gougane Barra are Coillte/OPW so it'll be fine there...but you're talking at best getting 10km in there. And once you move higher up, you're back on sheep farms.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Hi folks,
    Myself and my OH are heading off for 3 nights to stay near Lauragh on the Beara peninsula. We're hoping to do some nice looped walks (Maybe 4-6hrs..). We will also have a young (albeit well-behaved) Collie with us. Just wondering if any of ye good folk would have any good recommendations ? Glengarriff Horseshoe or a nice hike near Gougane Barra sound nice...Thanks in advance. P.S. Would love to do The Sheep's Head but seems dogs aren't welcome.

Beara is all farmland except the glengarriff woods. There are signs warning that dogs can and will be shot outside CtB near the stone circle. Lots of people think their dogs are well behaved until the dogs see sheep and can’t be controlled. I have a dog and wouldn’t bring her anywhere on the peninsula unless it was glengarriff woods. For your and the dogs sake it’s not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭laguacamaya

Thanks for advice folks. Dog is coming regardless:)...Probably confine ourselves to hikes around the forests and a few other rambles...May chance the Horseshoe.

Not sure what the Horseshoe is, but if you're going along the New Beara Way below the Sugarloaf/Nareera, it goes through a sheepfarm and the farmer and his own dogs are often around. I don't see sheep around Barley Lake at the other end of that ridge, and the Nature Reserve at the entrance to the Esknamucky/Coomerkane valleys is fine for dogs, as CJhaughey said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

Thanks for advice folks. Dog is coming regardless:)...Probably confine ourselves to hikes around the forests and a few other rambles...May chance the Horseshoe.

why chance the horseshoe if you have been told dogs aren't welcome ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement