Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What to do when former rehab buddies relapse

Options
  • 28-07-2018 2:49pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This has happened me a few times now. I’m in very early recovery but in the past few months a few people who were in rehab with me have contacted me via phone or Messenger clearly inebriated and looking to chat.

I always try to help others but I’ve got to protect myself. One guy was looking to crash on my living room sofa for “a night or two” but I had to say no. I don’t want to put my recovery at risk. I usually tell them to throw away the rest of the booze and get to an AA/LifeRing meeting ASAP. One person I gave this advice to clearly didn’t want to listen.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

It sounds like you know your boundaries and you’re doing a great job of protecting them..

Only advice I can give you is to maybe bar certain numbers or failing that change your number although I know that’s a lot of hassle.

But it’s great that you recognise the danger. Don’t let anyone else hold you back. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭aabarnes1

I agree with Rennaws, you MUST protect yourself at all times. It may sound cruel, but if this friend or friends keep relapsing you need to move on from them whilst they are still 'active'. I am assuming (wrongly or rightly) that you are in early recovery?
    If that is the case then you need to be vigilant until you feel comfortable being around people drinking/using. Maybe you never will be comfortable around people who still drink/use...
    You can not help someone when they are under the influence- fact,So you might as well not answer the phone to them. When they are ready you might be able to help them. Until then, give thanks for what you have and hope they get where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

If they are not going to listen, there isn't a lot you can do except protect yourself. Sounds like if you let them get close enough to you, they could affect you.

Maybe offer to do other activities with them, something outdoors so they can see the alternatives to drinking in a better light.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭donaldtramp

Tell him to sort out his own problems.

Think about it: All the charities out there and he needs help from another drug addict?
    That's not how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Garrett81

The OP never stated he was a drug addict ! And yes that’s exactly the way it works.

• Advertisement

Garrett81 wrote: »
    The OP never stated he was a drug addict ! And yes that’s exactly the way it works.

He's talking about rehab and addiction. Sounds like a drug to me.

And no, that's not how it works.

How does it work then

How does it work then

I think you'll find that the onus lies with you to answer that. I made a very fair statement and you seemed to go against basic rehabilitation guidelines.

So go ahead and explain to me why every single rehab in this country is doing this wrong. :pac:

I think you'll find that the onus lies with you to answer that. I made a very fair statement and you seemed to go against basic rehabilitation guidelines.

So go ahead and explain to me why every single rehab in this country is doing this wrong. :pac:

I wouldn’t waste my time !

I wouldn’t waste my time !

At least you can admit when you're wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Tell him to sort out his own problems.

Think about it: All the charities out there and he needs help from another drug addict?
    That's not how it works.

Lovely to be labelled a drug addict. I am a recovering addict. There is a difference. But perhaps that is wasted on judgemental posters like you.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Lovely to be labelled a drug addict. I am a recovering addict. There is a difference. But perhaps that is wasted on judgemental posters like you.

Step 1) Stop feeling sorry for yourself. Jesus Christ you're negative.

And I didn't say you're still an addict, I said your friend is. God you people always have to feel sorry for yourself. Why ask for help if you're going to throw it back in our faces?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

goodbye donaldtramp

Please ignore above and continue with the topic

Advertisement