Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Engineer wont sign off on extension

Options
  • 02-07-2020 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hello,

An extension was recently put on our house, en extra bedroom. The engineer refused to sign off on it as he said the window in that room is too small.

The architect and builder are refusing to take full responsibility but will offer a small contribution to the cost of alteration. I'm not happy with this as i feel i shouldn't have to fork out any more money than i already have. :(

Whose fault is this?

Thanks

Antoswords

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

antoswords wrote: »
    Hello,

An extension was recently put on our house, en extra bedroom. The engineer refused to sign off on it as he said the window in that room is too small.

The architect and builder are refusing to take full responsibility but will offer a small contribution to the cost of alteration. I'm not happy with this as i feel i shouldn't have to fork out any more money than i already have. :(

Whose fault is this?

Thanks

Antoswords

Who prepared the construction drawings?
    Who gave the window company the order?

The engineer is right not to sign off as this window is a means of escape / rescue in the event of a fire.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,988 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The window manufacturer

Edit : I'm being slightly disingenuous here.

Its basically everyone's fault.... Depending on what the issue is.

The architect IF they dimensioned the window too small for fire regs.

The window manufacturer for making the opening section too small for either or both fire and ventilation regs.

The builder for not knowing what was installed was wrong

sydthebeat wrote: »
    The window manufacturer

Can depend on who gave the window manufacturer the dimensions and ope sizes.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Can depend on who gave the window manufacturer the dimensions and ope sizes.

I did an edit above.

At the same time, I do feel the question needs to be asked by the window manufacturer as to the use of the room, and thus the regs which need to be complied with..... And in the case of non compliance they should make this known to builder or client or both

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Was there a window/door schedule prepared by architect? If answer is no then is there an elevation drawing showing an opening dimension? If you had either of these and the sizing was wrong its the architects fault as builder would follow those. If they didnt exist and builder took it upon himself without external direction to size the window then its' the builders fault.

The fact they both are willing to make a contribution means they know they fu7ked up so if I were you I wouldn't be paying anything towards fixing it and in fact retain money from payments to remedy. It sounds like this is only now an issue which leads to the question was their any supervision or site visits by the engineer or architect during construction where this would have been spotted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

As above , have you retained any money or is everybody fully paid off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

antoswords wrote: »
    Hello,

Whose fault is this?

Thanks

Antoswords

Hi there,

What is the cost of the alteration for a new larger window for egress in case of fire to evacuate safely?

I cant see how its the fault of the builder, he is only working off the drawings from the Architect , if anyone is at fault its the architects drawings, he should be up to scratch on Building Fire Regulations.

For the safety of you and your family just get it changed out.

And when you say the engineer, do you mean the Fingal County Council fire safety engineer or some independent engineer?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭prewtna

The window manufacturer

Edit : I'm being slightly disingenuous here.

Its basically everyone's fault.... Depending on what the issue is.

The architect IF they dimensioned the window too small for fire regs.

The window manufacturer for making the opening section too small for either or both fire and ventilation regs.

The builder for not knowing what was installed was wrong

I’d be of the opinion that builders can’t just throw their arms in the air and say they just blindly built what was in the drawing. They are obliged to build in compliance with the regs. Most drawings have a standard note seeking any errors to be brought to the attention of the architect immediately. Though Many are unfamiliar with the contents of the TGDs. The window supplier similarly have an obligation to provide compliant products and they shouldn’t be able to throw their arms in the air in denial too irrespective of errors on drawings. They have an obligation to complete the design of the system with their product - they could be considered expert in that particular element of the construction process. Lastly, And of course, the architect should be getting the dimension correct in the first place. But errors happen and when they do, mud starts to sling.

Oh and the engineer is dead right not sign-off

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

If the window was sized by the architect, it is the architects responsibility. The builder is expected to build to the building regulations, but it not his job to second-guess every dimension given to him by the architect (if he did, no job would ever get finished, and no architect would work with him anyway). The fact that your engineer spotted the window is too small and refused to sign off is an indication you got a good engineer. Unless you yourself insisted the window was to be the size it is, then I would be demanding that the architect correct his mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭overshoot

Assuming the opening isn't the full window, always a chance the architects window schedule just provided an overall size and the builder went off an ordered without any communication on the ope size (not a great reflection on either party)
    Some manufacturers chunkier window frames may mean a larger opening section is required than other manufacturers too depending on how fine the margin is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 SpielCheck

Does the engineer not check openings during construction?

It's a familiar problem , lack of detail or errrors in architect drawings. Usually the contractors correct any errors onsite.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Surely the window manufacturer measured up AFTER construction so they made the window to fit the opening.

So that points to the builder.

But if the builder built exactly from the Architect's plans then it goes back to the Architect.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I did an edit above.

At the same time, I do feel the question needs to be asked by the window manufacturer as to the use of the room, and thus the regs which need to be complied with..... And in the case of non compliance they should make this known to builder or client or both

There could be several windows in a room, not all required to be escapeable (so to speak) so why would the Window manufacturer be at fault? they are given a size and work with that.

We built a two storey extension last year and had the plans fully prepared by an Architect (German no less).

When it came to building it the builder one day was standing there stratching his head. The measurements written down were all wrong on one section by the Architect.

Now ultimately the builder could not go too wrong as it was blatantly obvious from the drawing where the building line dog legged but it was just the wrong measurement had been written down. Human error.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It unlikely to that it's the window manufacturers fault. It's a single window for a build, it could be a replacement window for any room in a house or garage.

It's with the architect or builders fault. As another poster said probably both of there's if they are willing to make a contribution to its cost. Cost will depend on whether it's just a replacement window ( more than likely) or if the window ope has to be resized. If the window ope has to be resized you are into issues with final finish

Slava Ukrainii

Ultimately this is all resolvable and it shouldnt be huge cost tbh. Start with the Architect i would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I draw for a living.

If I have a window not compliant with TGD B, I'll blame myself, not builder or window supplier.

Your engineer is right not to sign off, highly unlikely it'll ever be the case, but it could be a matter of life and death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I can't see now it's the manufacturer's fault. For all they know there are already 10 windows in the room that meet the regulations.

The architect is mostly at fault as they are they one designing it. The builders should know if the window has to meet regulations
    and should be flagging this. I'd say 80/20 fault between the architect and the builders.

Funny how people are assigning blame without anyone knowing what the actual problem is.

Is the window opening too small from fire reg point of view? If so, is that because the block ope is too small or because the window openable section is too small?
    Is the block ope OK but the window manufacturer use a side guide hinge which caused the openable section to be too small?
    Did the manufacturer put in a muntin which reduced the openable section size?
    Is the fire reg fine but the ventilation reg isn't met?

Let's see what the actual problem is before we start making assumptions.

Funny how people are assigning blame without anyone knowing what the actual problem is.

Is the window opening too small from fire reg point of view? If so, is that because the block ope is too small or because the window openable section is too small?
    Is the block ope OK but the window manufacturer use a side guide hinge which caused the openable section to be too small?

You have been the one assigning blame. Your opening post did that. With a boatload of assumptions.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    You have been the one assigning blame. Your opening post did that. With a boatload of assumptions.

I said it was everyone's fault depending on what the issue is.... We still don't know what the issue is. So no, I'm not assigning blame anywhere, I'm giving possible scenarios. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Architect's fault. Its their professional responsibility to design to regulations. Its also their responsibility to assess the existing property and how the changes they have designed may compromise things like access and ventilation to that pre-existing property.

If the window is meant to have satisfied fire regulations then it should be big enough, obviously, otherwise fire regulations must be satisfied by other windows and doors in the pre-existing property or in the extension. If they are not, in either way, its the Architect's problem to accept and to solve.

Funny that the architect is refusing to take full responsibility IF the issue is that they designed a block ope that was too small???

Until the OP comes back and tells us EXACTLY what the issue is, everything else is just assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

There isn't an architect alive who ever took full responsibility for a problem on site :pac:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I think it’s the clients fault.

Maybe the OP could comeback and defend her/himself

Let's all go for a site visit shall we?

Let's all go for a site visit shall we?

Only of there's a pint and a 9 euro meal

listermint wrote: »
    Only of there's a pint and a 9 euro meal

I'll buy the tayto, ye can buy the pints :p

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭SC024

Wouldnt the engineer have had access to construction drawings from architect to work from?

Wouldn't / Shouldn't he have spotted this during his site visits? as opposed to waiting till the job is finished & then refusing to sign off?

• Advertisement

SC024 wrote: »
    Wouldnt the engineer have had access to construction drawings from architect to work from?

Wouldn't / Shouldn't he have spotted this during his site visits? as opposed to waiting till the job is finished & then refusing to sign off?

Depends if the engineer was engaged to prepare construction drawings.
    Depends if the architect was engaged to prepare construction drawings.

I see this daily in my profession. Arrive to site and the client is instructing the builder using planning drawings. Client says yes, I have an engineer. Brilliant. I get his/her details and speak to them. No sorry sir, I’m only providing structural certification.

A lot of the above depends on what the OP has actually engaged the professional if any for. The OP hasn’t been back on yet so it’s all mindless speculation at this stage.

It could be the gardeners fault for all we know now.

Advertisement