Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Internet Connection for New build

• 29-06-2020 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct forum so feel free to move if needed.

We are currently building at the moment in rural Laois, hoping to be in by October. We are looking into internet connections and need to get a phone line installed so we will get the builder to lay a trench with a rope on it. We have been trying to get onto Eir about it to find out what we have to do otherwise but they have been running us around the place. My wife managed to talk to someone last month and she was told she will need something called an Odd Key (I think) before they can tell us more. She was told she'd be rang back but never got a call. Satellite broadband isn't an option and we want a fixed line in in case they upgrade the lines in a few years time so we can get decent internet.

Does anyone else know what this Odd Key is or what did you do in terms of getting internet (through phone lines ideally) for new builds that are standalone in the country?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

I am similar situation as yourself, we are less than 2 km from our local town in South Kildare which has fibre inernet and the high speed lines went past the top of our lane which is only 200 meters away.

I have approached Eir, locally elected politicians (TD + County Councillor) and the Kildare County Council all to no avail. I am told Eir have completed their Eir 300K rollout and will not entertain any additions. Getting a phone line installed will be of no benefit is what I am told.

We have to wait for the National Broadband plan, surveying was supposed to start in June 2020 and rollout in first half of 2021. I guess you can easily add 6 months to that timescale at this stage.

Currently on a waiting list for Imagine and using 4 G dongle which is ok but very senstive to bad weather.

I am interested in finding out what an Odd Key is too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Hi if laying ducting follow these guidelines set out by OpenEir. Lay the ducting to the nearest telecom pole at the road. Also describes to install the ETU which is the box on the outside of your house similar to the ESB meter box.

https://fibrerollout.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Ducting-Guidelines.pdf

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Advertisement