Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

To Tip or not to Tip - what are the rules?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭facehugger99

In an environment where tipping is common (restaurant, barbers, taxi, etc), I'm probably doing it to make myself feel better.

For me, it's not worth the couple of euros I'd save to feel cheap for the rest of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Not sure what point you are making here.

I’m agreeing with you. I’m saying that by lowering the staff wages to pittance, that saves a lot of money for the business. The servers depend on tips to make a living wage, which is a precarious system. The business owner, who profits, should be taking on that risk, not the employee. That happens here in Ireland with minimum wage being paid. That’s really all I have to say about that.

I’m agreeing with you. I’m saying that by lowering the staff wages to pittance, that saves a lot of money for the business. The servers depend on tips to make a living wage, which is a precarious system. The business owner, who profits, should be taking on that risk, not the employee. That happens here in Ireland with minimum wage being paid. That’s really all I have to say about that.

Loads of people in unskilled employment get the minimum wage why should a select few expect it to be supplemented by people paying on top of already paying in full for the service they have received.

It well documented also that it’s counter productive to have a minimum wage that’s too high as it just makes everything more expensive so those who get the increased minimum don’t benefit as everything has increased to cover it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Don’t buy anything ever . Then you will never have this dilemma .

You will probably have to become a thief to do so ....but no tipping dilemma .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,315 ✭✭✭✭zell12

You should never tip in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭Homelander

In the US, tips are their actual wage in many places, it's a weak system but it is what it is and tipping culture makes contextual sense.

There's no reason for it in Ireland, at all. I don't mind tipping for excellent service, for someone who went out of their way, or was just extremely helpful, whatever.

But this thing that you 'have' to tip or else you're a stinge really pisses me off. Why? I don't tip the lad in Curry's, in Woodies, or the lad behind the counter at the cinema nor does anyone else for the most part. They're all generally paid the same; so why should I be tipping someone for serving me a cup of coffee or carrying me a plate of food?

As I said, exceptional service I don't mind. Could be the lad in Currys who went above and beyond in helping me with a TV, some amicable lad in Woodies who carried out a load of paint, an exceptionally friendly and helpful waiter, etc - no problem giving them a few quid in recognition of their efforts.

But this notion that in Ireland, certain service industry jobs automatically deserve tips...well, just because, and if you don't, you're a miserly git..... really annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I tip everyone I can, if fast food places have a tip jar I would tip also. It says more about you as a person than it does about the service you've received and judged the person bases on what you feel was good service.

Stop being miserable it's only a few euro and can make a big difference to the person you've just tipped. And not tipping because nobody tips you is a sad way to look at life.
    I will say as someone who receives tips in my profession, they are getting less frequent as people become more selfish and about themselves. The older the person the more likely it is they will tip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dog Murphy

iamtony wrote: »
    I tip everyone I can, if fast food places have a tip jar I would tip also. It says more about you as a person than it does about the service you've received and judged the person bases on what you feel was good service.

Stop being miserable it's only a few euro and can make a big difference to the person you've just tipped. And not tipping because nobody tips you is a sad way to look at life.
    I will say as someone who receives tips in my profession, they are getting less frequent as people become more selfish and about themselves. The older the person the more likely it is they will tip!

So the people who don't tip are selfish and all about themselves and yet you expect to get tips yourself.

Surely that makes you selfish and all about yourself.

What? No I tip everyone and am definitely not selfish. I'm talking about everyone for themselves society we live in. It's nice to be nice and doing nice things like tipping makes the world a little better.
    I also help people as much as possible and don't expect a tip for it but it's nice to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Next dramas, tip cash? Or add it onto the card?,
    (chains in the UK who were charging an administration fee to staff for tips, and even some who were using the tip to cover wages...),
    Then there's automatic service charge on the bill, (for the customers convenience of course),

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »
    Next dramas, tip cash? Or add it onto the card?,
    (chains in the UK who were charging an administration fee to staff for tips, and even some who were using the tip to cover wages...),
    Then there's automatic service charge on the bill, (for the customers convenience of course),
    I eat out last week and paid 80 by card for the bill and a tenner cash for a tip. If I didn't have cash Id add it to the card but I know they would he happier with cash.

Loads of people in unskilled employment get the minimum wage why should a select few expect it to be supplemented by people paying on top of already paying in full for the service they have received.

It well documented also that it’s counter productive to have a minimum wage that’s too high as it just makes everything more expensive so those who get the increased minimum don’t benefit as everything has increased to cover it.

In the US, servers are paid BELOW the minimum wage or I think have a particular one of their own that is way lower than the normal one. What are you not getting about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

In the US, servers are paid BELOW the minimum wage or I think have a particular one of their own that is way lower than the normal one. What are you not getting about this?

Is this thread not in reference to the tipping culture in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i just hand out free cash on the street to randomers. makes me feel like a big man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭Homelander

In fairness I think unless explicitly mentioning the US, everyone's talking generally about Ireland, including that poster.

Homelander wrote: »
    In fairness I think unless explicitly mentioning the US, everyone's talking generally about Ireland, including that poster.

He replied to my post, in which I was in a dialogue with another about US tipping culture. To anyone paying attention, it was explicit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Don't mind this should or shouldn't stuff. Tip or don't tip - it's up to you. Personally if something costs me €18 and I leave them keep the change out of €20 it's not going to make an impact on the service economy overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I work in retail. I work hard, do a good job and I like to think I give a good service. Im attentive and polite and try to make the customer happy. No one tips me or any of my co workers nor do we expect it. My tip is that they keep coming back and keep me in a job.

Tip if you want to tip, dont tip if you dont want to tip

I personally dont tip, I give repeat custom to those that give a good service.

What I hate is that people have decided that restaurants/hairdressers/taxidrivers should be tipped, that its the done thing.

In restaurants I dont understand why people feel the need to tip because they cooked a good meal or they were polite when they took your order, thats their job !

And who decided that the tip should be 10-15% of the meal ? Thats insane !

You pay €30 for a bottle of wine that sells for €10.99 im my shop and you expect another €4.50 for bringing it to the table?

I also dont get the big guilt trip when your out with others and they are insisting that we all leave a tip and hover over you until you cough up, they are usually the first ones to tell you that they can get the bag of sugar for 15c cheaper in another shop but have no problem forking out another €15 for a tip in a restaurant.

Tip if you want to , but leave those of us that dont out of your guilt trip !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

No flagons permitted into the grounds
    No hand shandies
    No stage diving for ‘Rage against the machine’. or Chris de burgh

Homelander wrote: »
    In the US, tips are their actual wage in many places, it's a weak system but it is what it is and tipping culture makes contextual sense.

There's no reason for it in Ireland, at all. I don't mind tipping for excellent service, for someone who went out of their way, or was just extremely helpful, whatever.

But this thing that you 'have' to tip or else you're a stinge really pisses me off. Why? I don't tip the lad in Curry's, in Woodies, or the lad behind the counter at the cinema nor does anyone else for the most part. They're all generally paid the same; so why should I be tipping someone for serving me a cup of coffee or carrying me a plate of food?

As I said, exceptional service I don't mind. Could be the lad in Currys who went above and beyond in helping me with a TV, some amicable lad in Woodies who carried out a load of paint, an exceptionally friendly and helpful waiter, etc - no problem giving them a few quid in recognition of their efforts.

But this notion that in Ireland, certain service industry jobs automatically deserve tips...well, just because, and if you don't, you're a miserly git..... really annoys me.

Having worked in a busy supermarket and a busy clothes shop and a busy restaurant, waitressing was by far the hardest of the three.

I never expected tips as a waitress though. In my experience, there’s no real sense of entitlement in Ireland about this, at least when I was waitressing in college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Don't mind this should or shouldn't stuff. Tip or don't tip - it's up to you. Personally if something costs me €18 and I leave them keep the change out of €20 it's not going to make an impact on the service economy overall.

No but it does make a difference to the customers pocket. Yes 2 euro is very little but they all add up.
    Tip 2 euro ten times a week and you have 10 euro. Think of what 20 euro could buy. Petrol for the week to drive to work , bag of coal to keep you warm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

years ago when i started out working self employment ,i use to have to price jobs so low just to get my foot in the door,i remember every tip anyone ever gave me and it was always people who didn't have much money to begin with.
    those tips helped both with money and to keep pushing and working hard.
    Different times now and i work in a different profession know.
    so i always tip people who are at the bottom trying hard to succeed.

No but it does make a difference to the customers pocket. Yes 2 euro is very little but they all add up.
    Tip 2 euro ten times a week and you have 10 euro. Think of what 20 euro could buy. Petrol for the week to drive to work , bag of coal to keep you warm

Anyone who is in a position to tip ten times a week (if we’re just counting the few situations it happens with regularity) wouldn’t really have any money worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Exactly. The regularity with which I tip, averages out at I'd say once a fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I can't help but think that the first sentence ofyour last paragraph greatly influences the view expressed in the first two paragraphs.

Do you tip your gp, pharmacist, medical consultant, accountant, mechanic, plumber or tiler? Because, you could.

If not, why not, given you tip everyone you can?

I can't help but think that the first sentence ofyour last paragraph greatly influences the view expressed in the first two paragraphs.

Do you tip your gp, pharmacist, medical consultant, accountant, mechanic, plumber or tiler? Because, you could.

If not, why not, given you tip everyone you can?
    The only one of those services I use regularly is a mechanic and the last time I was in about a month ago getting tires and I had a bottle of red wine in my car and when I was sorted I asked the guy does he like red wine and he said not particularly but he drank it so I gave it to him.
    I diy the rest of those jobs including the gp:D

Just thinking about this thread today when getting my car's fixed. Bill was €1759.00 and I gave €1770 to the helpful mechanic and told the guy to keep the change. But that's not what I wanted to tell yis.

I had carpet fitted on the 2 sets of stairs in my house last week and I had fit wooden floor in the hall and the landing just before and I had yet to buy a divider to go between the landing and the bathroom tiles.
    Anyway the carpet was paid for in advance and when the lads were leaving I gave then a €20 tip as they had a difficult job because their was a stairlift on the bottom stairs.
    Anyway that was grand but when I went upstairs after they left they had fitted a divider between the bathroom and the landing which didn't have any carpet near it so didn't have anything to do with the job they were doing, A really nice surprise as it matched the bar at the top of the stairs and looks well now.
    I just think that was a great example of me being nice out of the goodness of my heart and they were being nice out of the goodness of their heart.
    Wouldn't the country be a better place if everyone was like this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Just thinking about this thread today when getting my car's fixed. Bill was €1759.00 and I gave €1570 to the helpful mechanic and told the guy to keep the change. But that's not what I wanted to tell yis.

I had carpet fitted on the 2 sets of stairs in my house last week and I had fit wooden floor in the hall and the landing just before and I had yet to buy a divider to go between the landing and the bathroom tiles.
    Anyway the carpet was paid for in advance and when the lads were leaving I gave then a €20 tip as they had a difficult job because their was a stairlift on the bottom stairs.
    Anyway that was grand but when I went upstairs after they left they had fitted a divider between the bathroom and the landing which didn't have any carpet near it so didn't have anything to do with the job they were doing, A really nice surprise as it matched the bar at the top of the stairs and looks well now.
    I just think that was a great example of me being nice out of the goodness of my heart and they were being nice out of the goodness of their heart.
    Wouldn't the country be a better place if everyone was like this?

did you mix up the car mechanic figures

bluewolf wrote: »
    did you mix up the car mechanic figures
    Fixed now

• Advertisement
Advertisement