Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Takeaway delivery driver job

• 20-10-2019 12:17am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi all I'm in college and I need a part time job. I see a number of takeaways in my area are looking for drivers to do deliveries. I have a full driving licence but only recently passed my test so I need to use N plates. Could I apply for one of these jobs if I use N plates or will they take on someone without much experience driving. I like driving and find it fairly easy would definitely prefer it to stacking shelves or working on the tills in a shop for example.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭Uncle Charlie

Joker2019 wrote: »
    Hi all I'm in college and I need a part time job. I see a number of takeaways in my area are looking for drivers to do deliveries. I have a full driving licence but only recently passed my test so I need to use N plates. Could I apply for one of these jobs if I use N plates or will they take on someone without much experience driving. I like driving and find it fairly easy would definitely prefer it to stacking shelves or working on the tills in a shop for example.

Its not worth doing a lot of places pay less than minimum wage and expect you to make your money from tips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

What are you in college for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

They won’t give a ****e when you passed your test once you passed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

They won’t give a ****e when you passed your test once you passed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I did this for a while before N plates came in. I was on a standard insurance policy.
    Can anyone confirm I would have been screwed if I was in an accident while working with only a social, domestic & pleasure insurance policy?
    If true be sure to take it into consideration.

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Literally posted the same thing as you posted.

Yes you would have been, you need commercial car insurance.

Yep, figured as much and had a fair idea about it at the time too. Decided it was worth the risk but in hindsight it wasn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭Joker2019

Its not worth doing a lot of places pay less than minimum wage and expect you to make your money from tips.

It's not really about pay so much more about gaining work experience but pay would be an added bonus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

tuxy wrote: »
    I did this for a while before N plates came in. I was on a standard insurance policy.
    Can anyone confirm I would have been screwed if I was in an accident while working with only a social, domestic & pleasure insurance policy?
    If true be sure to take it into consideration.

Not only that, but if you get pulled in by the Gardai, they could take your car from off of you.

Not only that, but if you get pulled in by the Gardai, they could take your car from off of you.

Would the chances of that not be slim. Like if you just put the heated bag in the boot instead of the back seat how would they know unless they searched the car

Actually did get pulled over and asked what I was doing.
    Was seen driving around just about every housing estate in the town by the same Garda and he wanted to know what I was doing.
    They didn't care once I explained but could have gone very differently. Also it was over 10 years ago and things have changed and I believe it's much more strict.

• Advertisement

Would the chances of that not be slim. Like if you just put the heated bag in the boot instead of the back seat how would they know unless they searched the car

Depends on if that guard has ambitions of getting promoted. Increased conviction numbers are very important to an ambitious guard out for promotion. And like I said you will be noticed if you are seen constantly driving around different housing estates in the same area.

sugarman wrote: »
    If you're working the same area doing multiple deliveries a night, you tend to run into the same lads at the same routine checkpoints.

What exact crime is being committed though? Also since I'm in college would be doing it a few nights a week

What exact crime is being committed though? Also since I'm in college would be doing it a few nights a week

Insurance invalid so the crime would be driving while uninsured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Long story short but if you are driving your car on your own insurance policy delivering anything, basically you are not insured. Why , because have you informed your insurance company you are now using your car in a business capacity. Honest answer you haven't therefore under the small print your insurance is VOID.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Driving with inadequate insurance.
    Last year they went after the motorbike riders doing deliveries and took a lot of them off the road.

Insurance invalid so the crime would be driving while uninsured.

Would most people doing it have the right insurance maybe but I somehow doubt it. It seems awfully unfair that the Guards would prosecute someone for the crime of trying to earn a living through driving.

How many fast food delivery drivers are insured though? I don't know any that have ever had valid insurance and I don't see how you could make a profit with valid business insurance unless your employer paid for it.

Would most people doing it have the right insurance maybe but I somehow doubt it. It seems awfully unfair that the Guards would prosecute someone for the crime of trying to earn a living through driving.

True most probably aren't. But if it is illegal to make a living by other illegal activities then so is this. Truth is you will probably find a dodgy employer that will take you on with N plates and no insurance. But know the risks, not just to your self but other people you could **** over if you are involved in an accident.
    It takes ages to get paid out if hit by someone who is uninsured so that person is in real trouble if they are supporting a family and need their car for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

How many fast food delivery drivers are insured though? I don't know any that have ever had valid insurance and I don't see how you could make a profit with valid business insurance unless your employer paid for it.

The ones on bicycles

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

No, you're not being prosecuted for trying to earn a living through driving, you would be prosecuted for having inadequate insurance for the purpose that you are using your car for.

• Advertisement

BDI wrote: »
    The ones on bicycles

If only, I wish you could get reasonable bicycle insurance. The cover from cycling Ireland is not adequate.

Seems ridiculous that you need special insurance why can't you just drive with regular insurance seems like a really stupid law if you ask me.

Seems ridiculous that you need special insurance why can't you just drive with regular insurance seems like a really stupid law if you ask me.

It's not a law, it's at the discretion of the private insurance companies under what conditions they will insure you and at what cost.
    The law just states that you must have valid insurance as agreed in your policy.

True most probably aren't. But if it is illegal to make a living by other illegal activities then so is this. Truth is you will probably find a dodgy employer that will take you on with N plates and no insurance. But know the risks, not just to your self but other people you could **** over if you are involved in an accident.
    It takes ages to get paid out if hit by someone who is uninsured so that person is in real trouble if they are supporting a family and need their car for work.

How could an insurance company prove that you were doing deliveries?

How could an insurance company prove that you were doing deliveries?

It's fairly obvious, do you think what a guard has observed would be dismissed in court over your word. All that food with different recipes and bags for keeping it warm was for yourself? Your employer won't lie to the guards about you working either and will just say he was unaware that you did not take out the correct insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Not only that, but if you get pulled in by the filth, they could take your car from off of you.

Genuinely embarrassed for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Anyone you hit will be covered, the danger is by saying you are driving your car privately and not commercially your insurer will invalidate you insurance and sue you for any payouts they have to do on your behalf.

Genuinely embarrassed for you.

They sound British are you embarrassed because of the latest brexit developments?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,347 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Think it through. The more you drive, the higher the risk of a claim. Why should people who just use their cars for domestic stuff pay a share of the costs of your business operation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

They sound British are you embarrassed because of the latest brexit developments?

No?

Advertisement