Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Movies that surprised you.

Options
  • 05-10-2019 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone watch a movie and expect it to be poor or completely not your kind of movie and be totally turned around by it?

Mine is The Greatest Showman. My wife and kids raved about it and always said it was so good which I accepted but thought it was a kids movie and something I’d have no interest in. Anyway last weekend they decided to watch it again and pleaded with me to watch it with them so I reluctantly agreed.

I couldn’t get over how good it was, great story which keeps you interested right from the start and Hugh Jackman’s singing is amazing (I’d been a fan of his from X-Men/Wolverine) but never knew he had such a great voice and the music is very moving/powerful!

I said to them today that we should watch it again so we have a movie afternoon planned for tomorrow again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

A Star is Born, thought it was going to be a full on musical with people bursting into song every few minutes. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it.
    I thought I would hate Apocolypto because of the subtitles but I really liked it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I seen a grown man recommending a film I thought was for girls and said to myself maybe I should check it out maybe its not all that bad.

Then later I heard same guy was a fan of Hugh jackman from his x men days and decided that maybe the greatest showman is in fact a film for little girls after all.

I’ve been meaning to rewatch the wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Watched Hotel Mumbai recently half expecting it to be a Bollywood style production with random dance scenes in between the shootings and bombing scenes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

La Haine, normally black and white films turn me off instantly, but it added to the impact of it in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Anyone watch a movie and expect it to be poor or completely not your kind of movie and be totally turned around by it?

Mine is The Greatest Showman. My wife and kids raved about it and always said it was so good which I accepted but thought it was a kids movie and something I’d have no interest in. Anyway last weekend they decided to watch it again and pleaded with me to watch it with them so I reluctantly agreed.

I couldn’t get over how good it was, great story which keeps you interested right from the start and Hugh Jackman’s singing is amazing (I’d been a fan of his from X-Men/Wolverine) but never knew he had such a great voice and the music is very moving/powerful!

I said to them today that we should watch it again so we have a movie afternoon planned for tomorrow again.

Awful sh1te

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

And on the other side of the blackboard; movies that you expected might achieve mediocrity, but instead turned out to be dogshite.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

The Wall

Kept seeing it come up my movies section of prime but never paid much attention to it. Couldn't see how a man pinned behind a wall by a sniper could hold for an hour

Finally watched and was surprised at how engrossing it was

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I, Tonya.

Wasn’t expecting much, but was very surprised at how funny and poignant it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Suicide Squad. Was looking forward to it, had high hopes, thought it would be brilliant. An absolute stinker. Jared Leto was an abomination. I felt embarrassed watching it. Should be deleted from history.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Stan & Ollie

Expecting mediocre slapstick "humour" and instead got a very good story of enduring friendship and professionalism. Considering the cast you get surprisingly little comedy, but your heart gets most thoroughly warmed in the least cheesy way possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Suicide Squad. Was looking forward to it, had high hopes, thought it would be brilliant. An absolute stinker. Jared Leto was an abomination. I felt embarrassed watching it. Should be deleted from history.

I couldn't believe what I was watching. Turned it off after 30 minutes or so. Absolute car crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

vicM wrote: »
    The Wall

Kept seeing it come up my movies section of prime but never paid much attention to it. Couldn't see how a man pinned behind a wall by a sniper could hold for an hour

Same thing for Phone Booth starring Colin Farrell. I thought a movie about a man pinned in a phone booth by a sniper sounded as exciting as watching paint dry. Turns out it was actually pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

Brightburn, pleasantly surprised by it in a good way.

Otoh, The dead don't die, got caught up in the hype and the cast. Bitterly disappointed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Same thing for Phone Booth starring Colin Farrell. I thought a movie about a man pinned in a phone booth by a sniper sounded as exciting as watching paint dry. Turns out it was actually pretty good.

Would put Phone Booth in the same class of a film as Locke.
    Equally sh1te except with Tom Hardy in a BMW X5.
    An hour and a half I'll never get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭griffin100

The Devil Wears Prada.

I’m a middle aged man.....WTF? My wife thinks it’s hilarious that I like it.

I don’t know what it is.......the clothes, the feel good story.......As a heterosexual man I’d like to think it’s my horn for Emily Blunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Mama Mia, wife wanted to see it. So I dutifully accompanied her to the cinema. Have always hated musicals but I despite myself enjoyed it. Terrible story, dreadful acting in places, but ABBA tunes. So bad it was good.

• Site Banned Posts: 66 ✭✭Annurca Apples

Rubberlegs wrote: »
    A Star is Born, thought it was going to be a full on musical with people bursting into song every few minutes. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it.
    I thought I would hate Apocolypto because of the subtitles but I really liked it.

I struggle to think of a movie I enjoyed more than Apocolytpo, such a great movie that seems to have been forgotten about, it's a masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

vicM wrote: »
    The Wall

Along the very same lines - Tom Hardy in Locke.

A guy, driving a car for the entire film. How could it be any good? Passed it over and over until I had simply watched everything else and begrudgingly put it on expecting to fall asleep after 10 minutes.

Watched it, thought it was outstanding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Black 47. Didn't expect much but really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Mama Mia, wife wanted to see it. So I dutifully accompanied her to the cinema. Have always hated musicals but I despite myself enjoyed it. Terrible story, dreadful acting in places, but ABBA tunes. So bad it was good.

Along wit Sex in the City 2 , this is the worst film I've ever endured.

Love the Devil wears Prada, apart from the boyfriend who is a tool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Love the Devil wears Prada, apart from the boyfriend who is a tool.

Spot on. He was a tool. But, to be fair, the movie had some terrible “messages” in it.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I struggle to think of a movie I enjoyed more than Apocolytpo, such a great movie that seems to have been forgotten about, it's a masterpiece.

I have been meaning to watch this since it came out but always figured I wouldn’t really like it but I’ll give a chance before judging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Mean Girls. Was dragged to it by a girlfriend and couldn't wait for it to be over before it had even started, but it was actually pretty good. Obviously, loads of movies surprise me, but that was one in particular I would have rather have sat staring at a wall for 90 minutes before actually seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Under the Silver Lake. Completely absurd, funny in places and very entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

I have been meaning to watch this since it came out but always figured I wouldn’t really like it but I’ll give a chance before judging it.

Apocolypto is so good that I was in a hostel in Barcelona and watched it from start to finish with Spanish subs and still knew exactly what was goin on and loved it. Absolute gem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Always have been a fan of werewolf/wolf films, so when I saw the thumbnail for Hold the Dark on Netflix I gave it a go.

An awful, awful movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

P.S. I Love You

I mean I knew it would be **** but Jebus ****ing Christ I was genuinely taken aback by how toe curlingly bad it was. Even herself wanted to leave but I made her sit through it to teach her a valuable lesson. Worst thing I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

I saw Joker today. With all the hype and the 5/5, 10/10, "It's a masterpiece" reviews I decided to give it a go. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece but I also wasn't expecting to find it as boring as I did. It was quite dull really.

On the other end I love really good spoof movies Airplane, The Naked Gun, Loaded Weapon etc.. There is a spoof movie called Not Another Teen Movie that was made by MTV in the early 2000's that I thought would be shíte because it was made by MTV but actually was really funny.

• Site Banned Posts: 66 ✭✭Annurca Apples

Guy Person wrote: »
    I saw Joker today. With all the hype and the 5/5, 10/10, "It's a masterpiece" reviews I decided to give it a go. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece but I also wasn't expecting to find it as boring as I did. It was quite dull really.

What exactly were you expecting that was absent?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

What exactly were you expecting that was absent?
    I don't want to spoil it by saying what I didn't like about it but I had no expectations really, we just wanted to watch a good movie on a Saturday Afternoon. We knew it was similar in style to Taxi Driver and it was but we still just found it dull.

Advertisement