Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changes in the GAA - super thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭shockframe

threeball wrote: »
    Exactly, the game as a spectacle is at a low ebb. I think it stems from the weaker teams spending their time working on a system to stop the top teams, which is almost impossible given the gap in resources, but it results in months of perfecting a system to compete with 2 or 3 teams which makes all the other games they play look like dogsh1t.

Its inevitable at some stage that Dublin will be split. There is no scenario where one county with such huge populations resources will be allowed to grow and grow. Where do you draw the line. When the population surpasses 1.5m, 2m etc. ? The game will be dead long before any of that anyway unless measures are taken. If we get 3 more years similar to this no one will be watching. The GAA will act very quickly once the bottom line starts suffering. It seems to be the only thing the top brass understand.

Sorry but I cant agree with that.

The game is the bedrock of so many communities across Ireland. We get 3 years like this and the sky wont fall in.

If SPL or La Liga can survive with only 2 teams being successul I'm sure the GAA will get by.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭threeball

shockframe wrote: »
    Sorry but I cant agree with that.

The game is the bedrock of so many communities across Ireland. We get 3 years like this and the sky wont fall in.

If SPL or La Liga can survive with only 2 teams being successul I'm sure the GAA will get by.

I'm not talking about club but no one will be watching inter county. Its already in decline, in a big way. Ignoring that is head in the sand stuff.

threeball wrote: »
    I'm not talking about club but no one will be watching inter county. Its already in decline, in a big way. Ignoring that is head in the sand stuff.

No one watching inter county? Sorry but there's 2 chances of that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

No one watching inter county? Sorry but there's 2 chances of that happening.

I'd expect viewing figures for this final will probably be the lowest in many years..

lawred2 wrote: »
    I'd expect viewing figures for this final will probably be the lowest in many years..

Maybe so but they have been fairly high the last few years. Last years final the most watched sporting event of 2017. 1 year where interest falls is manageable.

Hurling had some mediocre semi final attendances throughout the last 10 years and it has survived.

Interest is affected by Dublins dominance but it wont last forever (yes financial doping, populations, croke park, professionals v amateurs blah blah blah).

Football has been the dominant sporting game in the Republic for 130 years. It ain't going anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Maybe so but they have been fairly high the last few years. Last years final the most watched sporting event of 2017. 1 year where interest falls is manageable.

Hurling had some mediocre semi final attendances throughout the last 10 years and it has survived.

Interest is affected by Dublins dominance but it wont last forever (yes financial doping, populations, croke park, professionals v amateurs blah blah blah).

Football has been the dominant sporting game in the Republic for 130 years. It ain't going anywhere.

It will never disappear at grassroots level which is the most important thing but I think intercounty football is gradually losing it's appeal both to players and fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭harpsman

http://www.skysports.com/gaa/gaelic-football/news/30543/11470746/watch-what-rule-changes-should-be-made-in-gaelic-football

Some interesting suggestions I think.

I think the backcourt rule McGuinness suggested should be introduced.
    But that would reward ultra defensive teams by making it more difficult to break them down. The big problem in football is 14-15 men inside their own defensive third of the field so stopping this would go along way to solving the other problems. The easiest and most effective imo way to change this is a 4 player in the offensive half at all times rule. That would increase the amount of kicking, and speed up the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭harpsman

A back court rule would make the game more defensive again. It would encourage blanket defences to turn over the ball it aws interesting taht Jim McGuiness suggested it. Two of the suggestions Peter Canavans on 50 metres interfering witha free kick and Billy Joe Paddens for an attacking mark inside the opponents 45 would help attacking play. Backward pass inside your own half might encourage forwardas to stay up after losing the ball but we do not want to turn the game into a series of turnovers.
    Thought it ironic that jim wants to punish defensive play and peter wants to punish cynical play-i was waiting for billy joe to suggest punishing teams who keep finding new ways to blow the all-ireland

It will never disappear at grassroots level which is the most important thing but I think intercounty football is gradually losing it's appeal both to players and fans.

I would dare say the same thing was said at the time when Kerry did the 4 in a row in the early 80s.

Even if things started to open up the media would still moan and moan and moan about something.

I hear all the time from people complaining about football about how they have lost interest and are sick of watching it. It's not uncommon to meet the same people at football matches after.

Same with the likes of Spillane, Carr and Brolly. Forever giving about the modern game compared to their day like 3 Feech La Manna types but still there at all the games. Taking in the media gigs and showing up on tv. Brolly even went to New York for the opening game.

Talk is cheap when it comes to the people who knock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

For the talk of changes since the weekend. I would say its a bit over the top. The 2018 semi finals were not exactly up there with the best but they were far from the worst either.

Hurling has taken the gloss off the Football championship this year but it's easy to forget over the last 10 years that Hurling had some utterly forgettable championships also. 2010, 2015 and 2016 for instance. It just so happens that a few shrewd managerial appointments has brought about a positive show from many counties this season.

KIlkenny not being what they once were has opened things up a lot. Should Limerick win its 4 different winners in 4 years (same as Kerrys 78-81 4 in a row oddly). This would be the first since 1998-2001.

Football is in the situation Hurling found itself around 2007-09.One team way ahead of the rest and struggling for a challenger.

I believe Football will return to a competitive scene in the next 2-3 years. There is potential there in Kerry, Kildare, Galway and Tyrone. A lot could depend on a Dublin decline. With 5 defenders approaching 30+ and Cluxton in his late 30s they have a lot of replacements to make in the years ahead and that will be a huge ask of them to keep winning, Almost all the players from 1-7 have been involved since 2013 and many since the start of the golden era. It won't be easy for them.

Kerry only. Tyrone arent within an asses roar of troubling dubs,neither are galway or kildare. Maybe in a few years but in the next 2-3 no way.
    If kerry had afew defenders theyd trouble dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,169 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I would dare say the same thing was said at the time when Kerry did the 4 in a row in the early 80s.

Even if things started to open up the media would still moan and moan and moan about something.

I hear all the time from people complaining about football about how they have lost interest and are sick of watching it. It's not uncommon to meet the same people at football matches after.

Same with the likes of Spillane, Carr and Brolly. Forever giving about the modern game compared to their day like 3 Feech La Manna types but still there at all the games. Taking in the media gigs and showing up on tv. Brolly even went to New York for the opening game.

Talk is cheap when it comes to the people who knock it.

It was worse when Kerry won the four-in-a-row. Like Dublin now, they were at the peak of their powers, and nobody could see where a challenge was coming from. Attendances were declining, interest was waning, the rise of Galway and then Offaly in hurling made it the game of interest for a few years, just like now, but that soon died off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

blanch152 wrote: »
    It was worse when Kerry won the four-in-a-row. Like Dublin now, they were at the peak of their powers, and nobody could see where a challenge was coming from. Attendances were declining, interest was waning, the rise of Galway and then Offaly in hurling made it the game of interest for a few years, just like now, but that soon died off.
    When Kerry won 4 in a row they often had only one serious game in the year unless Cork put it up to them. Beat Cork then a handy one against Sligo or Monaghan and into final.
    The qualifiers and so called Super 8 are good changes but one step forward two step sideways and three step back football is turning people off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/big-changes-could-be-coming-to-football-as-counties-submit-proposals-for-rule-changes-37250223.html

I think touching the ball on the ground should be eliminated it creates too much of a flash point that can be easily removed. when 4/5 lads are around a ball it nearly always turns into a free. Just pick the ball up any way you like and pass it off quickly. It speeds up the game and no having to go to the ref for an argument.

Another one would be to have lighter balls. it can be kicked further, so maybe it may change the way the game is played as more people may take the shot option instead of 20 hand passes around the 45 line.

Another is talking back to the ref. One person to talk to the ref and that is the captain. No one else. It pees me off when players crowd around the ref. Take your medicine and get on with it.

one more, for the last 10 mins any foul that occurs is an immediate free from the opposition 45m line. Might get rid of the pulling and dragging that occurs in the last minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

kupus wrote: »
    Another is talking back to the ref. One person to talk to the ref and that is the captain. No one else.

This works in rugby because everyone is in the heart of the action, but what if there is a 14 yard free and you captain is playing down the other end in goals? It is a huge problem and not nice to watch, maybe the ref could nominate a player on each side to talk to and everyone else has to stand back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

This works in rugby because everyone is in the heart of the action, but what if there is a 14 yard free and you captain is playing down the other end in goals? It is a huge problem and not nice to watch, maybe the ref could nominate a player on each side to talk to and everyone else has to stand back

Easy way to fix it is if you say anything back to the ref the ball is moved forward 50 metres for the opposition.

With that sort of punishment the players should soon learn there lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Let’s see Gavin manage a mediocre team before proclaiming him up there with the GREAT managers.

My suspicion is he’s a very average manager due to the crazy level of financial investment given to Dublin gaa.

I doubt he’ll ever willingly take on an average team so that we can realistically judge him-emperor new clothes type of scenario?

But in saying that I would love to see how he gets on.

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

Let’s see Gavin manage a mediocre team before proclaiming him up there with the GREAT managers.

My suspicion is he’s a very average manager but has scammed the system due to the crazy level of financial investment given to Dublin gaa.

I doubt he’ll ever willingly take on an average team so that we can realistically judge him-emperor new clothes type of scenario?

But in saying that I would love to see how he gets on.

Inherited a u21 team of players who lost minor games to Offaly and Laois x2 and won u21 All Ireland in 2010. Followed up with another u21 AI in 2012. Was in backroom team when Dublin won their first u21 AI in 2003 but Tommy Lyons claimed all the glory.

I can see him managing his parents native county Clare in a few years.

Gael85 wrote: »
    Inherited a u21 team of players who lost minor games to Offaly and Laois x2 and won u21 All Ireland in 2010. Followed up with another u21 AI in 2012. Was in backroom team when Dublin won their first u21 AI in 2003 but Tommy Lyons claimed all the glory.

I can see him managing his parents native county Clare in a few years.

Re clare I hope so - then we can judge him on a relatively normal level not the absolutely crazy advantages that Dublin currently have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

Games Won Draw Lost Goals Points Total Goals Points Total
    Jim Gavin Championship 2018 8 8 0 0 17 169 220 6 105 123
    League 2018 8 6 1 1 8 125 149 5 98 113
    Championship 2017 6 6 0 0 10 124 154 2 73 79
    League 2017 8 4 3 1 7 125 146 4 92 104
    Championship 2016 7 6 1 0 8 122 146 6 84 102
    League 2016 9 9 0 0 11 127 160 4 99 111
    Championship 2015 7 6 1 0 18 118 172 4 83 95
    League 2015 9 6 1 2 8 131 155 4 101 113
    Championship 2014 5 4 0 1 9 105 132 5 63 78
    League 2014 9 6 1 2 14 138 180 11 117 150
    Championship 2013 6 6 0 0 13 99 138 5 71 86
    League 2013 9 7 1 1 10 139 169 5 106 121
    91 74 9 8 133 1522 1921 61 1092 1275

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Oh please nobody bother, let’s just let this one die quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

One of the greatest ever. Next.

salmocab wrote: »
    Oh please nobody bother, let’s just let this one die quickly.

Eh why? Why try to strangle the debate?

I’m saying Jim G needs to manage more or less any other county other than present day Dublin so that we can judge how good or not so good of a manager he is.

The reason being Dublin football gets crazy levels of funding and support and has a hugely unfair advantage.

Why are you trying to shut down this discussion?

I’m saying Jim G needs to manage any other county other than present day Dublin so that we can judge how good or not so good of a manager he is.

Because it’s a stinking pile of nonsense

salmocab wrote: »
    Because it’s a stinking pile of nonsense

Oh right. Nonsense you say.

You deny the inherent huge advantages that Dublin have? And how it makes his job much easier compared to the rest of the county managers?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yobr

I’m saying Jim G needs to manage more or less any other county other than present day Dublin so that we can judge how good or not so good of a manager he is.

The reason being Dublin football gets crazy levels of funding and support and has a hugely unfair advantage.

You have already raised the same point in multiple other threads, why raise it again?

Oh right. Nonsense you say.

You deny the inherent huge advantages that Dublin have? And how it makes his job much easier compared to the rest of the county managers?

The thread is a stinking pile of nonsense because everyone including yourself knows it’s just another thread to have a moan about the Dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭muddle84

What metric would you propose to measure the manager on if not all ireland success? Dublin have always had the advatages you're talking about but yet they have only won 7 all irelands in the last 30 years, with 5 of them since Gavin toke over. Is that because they had absolutely useless managers up until then? And now Gavin is just slightly better than useless? Or is it because he has built a team that is better than everyone else? The resources dont matter if you dont have the right person orchestrating it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Gavin is a great manager and the proof is in the way his players burst a lung to keep their levels up in a game, because like Brian Cody of Kilkenny if your not operating at your best you get called ashore and it doesn't matter who you are. If your not doing the business, your gone.
    Underneath the quiet, calm exterior is a ruthless son of a b**ch and his players know it.
    As a Meathman, I'm certainly no fanboy, wish we could raise our standards again to have a good rattle at the Dubs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭dunnerc

And another anti Dublin thread , jesus wept .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

I think you put a question mark in the title by accident OP.

Advertisement