Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mary Boyle cover up by mainstream media

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

That is one of the more shocking aspects of the whole story, that the two main investigators know who did it and have been restrained from following that up.
    The state can faff about some more here but very soon it might be too late to find out the truth.

Sadly I think they are banking on it being too late, i.e. waiting for certain people to conveniently die before doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

brooke 2 wrote: »
    What struck me about the mother's desire to keep things quiet is that it is very similar to the refusal of some parents
    in the past in Ireland to support their children when they were being abused. The disgrace and humiliation for the family
    if this got out! I find it really, really weird that the mother has gone as far as putting it in her will that she does not want
    an inquiry into Mary's disappearance, even after her own death. What is THAT about??

As far as I remember, the documentary stated that Mrs Boyle does not want *an inquest*.

That's very different to an inquiry. An inquest is held by a court after a death, to record a cause of death. Inquests can take place where there is no body - but a coroner can ask the Justice Minister for permission to hold an inquest if there is reasonable evidence that the person who has not been seen is dead (http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/death/sudden_or_unexplained_death/missing_presumed_dead.html).

I understand (again from my memory of the documentary) that Mary Boyle's sister Ann has indicated that she would be in favour of an inquest. So there's a divergence of opinion there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

As far as I remember, the documentary stated that Mrs Boyle does not want *an inquest*.

That's very different to an inquiry. An inquest is held by a court after a death, to record a cause of death. Inquests can take place where there is no body - but a coroner can ask the Justice Minister for permission to hold an inquest if there is reasonable evidence that the person who has not been seen is dead (http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/death/sudden_or_unexplained_death/missing_presumed_dead.html).

I understand (again from my memory of the documentary) that Mary Boyle's sister Ann has indicated that she would be in favour of an inquest. So there's a divergence of opinion there.

Mary Boyle's mother and sister are estranged.
    Ann, her sister, is determined to get justice for her. Her mother wants to keep things quiet, possibly because a very close relative of hers is the main suspect in the disappearance of the child.

I had thought 'inquiry' was the word mentioned by Gemma O'Doherty, but I may have been mistaken. I do know that 'oranbhoy' on here, a relation of the Boyles, contacted the coroner to ask about an inquest for Mary, to be told that it may contribute to Mrs. Boyle's ill-health.

Frances Fitzgerald seems to be taking the wishes of the mother on board, as opposed to those of Mary's sister, who is seeking justice for her. Strange stance for our Minister of Justice to take, I think. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

It's irrelevant.

If the Coroner had any interest in establishing facts or moving the case forward he has discretion to do so:

http://www.coroners.ie/en/CS/Pages/Inquests

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/death/sudden_or_unexplained_death/missing_presumed_dead.html

So what problem does the local Coroner have with discharging his duties?

Answer: The dead child's mother doesn't want one held.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Marys mother has told me personally only a few weeks ago - ( I am Marys cousin) that she does not want an inquest held, when I asked her why she said "It was her business & no one elses" I said it was in the public interest. She disagreed.

She also said she was going to put it into her will that no inquest be held after her death .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    Marys mother has told me personally only a few weeks ago - ( I am Marys cousin) that she does not want an inquest held, when I asked her why she said "It was her business & no one elses" I said it was in the public interest. She disagreed.

She also said she was going to put it into her will that no inquest be held after her death .

I doubt putting it in her will can stop it happening if it's decided that one should take place. I mean, she could also put that she doesn't want X ever to be charged in relation to Mary's death but it won't make a blind bit of difference if evidence is found or he confesses. She should be charged herself if it is ever proven she conspired to keep the whole thing a secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    is there any TV station out there brave enough to broadcast this documentary??
    NIMAN wrote: »
    I read it was offered to Rte, Tv3 but none of them wanted it.

too libelous ?

maybe TG4 would show it

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Sapphire3

fryup wrote: »
    rural ireland can be a very strange place....friendly on the surface...but there's an underbelly of clanish'ism and deviousness that can be particularly nasty

So true, it's bloody disgusting if you ask me! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rebelchick2

Rural Ireland may be like that in places but what excuse have the gardai of 2014 going to intimidate Ann Doherty and also arresting an innocent man to try an cover up this murder. 40 years ago corruption was rife in Donegal but that is inexcusable!

Rural Ireland may be like that in places but what excuse have the gardai of 2014 going to intimidate Ann Doherty and also arresting an innocent man to try an cover up this murder. 40 years ago corruption was rife in Donegal but that is inexcusable!

Those two Gardaí arriving at Ann Doherty's home in a remote part of
    Co. Offaly was not accidental. The claim by one of them, from Donegal,
    that he called to see her because he was 'in the area' clearly intimidated
    her. The subsequent arrest of an innocent man, and the garda coordinated
    media hype attached to the arrest, is worthy of an inquiry in itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 missdock.1

PUBLIC MARCH THIS SATURDAY IN BALLYSHANNON (Please share)

March for Mary Boyle on the 16th of July at 2pm in Ballyshannon. #JusticeForMaryBoyle

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yes

No the FF politician is not a sitting TD and in fact was never a TD.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Cold case investigation being launched. RTE news.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Fleawuss wrote: »
    Cold case investigation being launched. RTE news.

By the sounds of it they wont even be interviewing the main suspect, just reviewing the files. Whats the point if theyre not going to investigate the main suspect?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,820 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Looks very like another kick to touch.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    By the sounds of it they wont even be interviewing the main suspect, just reviewing the files. Whats the point if theyre not going to investigate the main suspect?

Throwing a crumb to the plebs. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

No Sirree, couldn't be having any of that stuff like actually investigating the allegations that were brought up in the documentary.

That is the reason for this latest episode of Garda navel gazing after all, isn't it?

The allegations aired in the documentary???

Totally.
    Bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭JakeBell

There's currently a dig underway by Gardai in Donegal, carried out at the request of the family.

JakeBell wrote: »
    There's currently a dig underway by Gardai in Donegal, carried out at the request of the family.

at the request of the mother, before a march for justice tomorrow in Donegal , if you saw the documentary you will know not to get your hopes up too much about that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭golfball37

Look at the way the victims families were treated in the wake of Dublin/Monaghan. We have a Police force here led by political appointees, doing the work of their political masters and the ordinary Gard on the street gets the abuse and he has nothing to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

RTE reporting that there was nothing found on the dig. I wonder what was the information they Gardai had to dig in this specific location? Who told them this spot might be the one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

RTE reporting that there was nothing found on the dig. I wonder what was the information they Gardai had to dig in this specific location? Who told them this spot might be the one?

Well the RTE reported at 2pm that the dig was going to take a few weeks, so anything coming out 2 hours later is probably rubbish reports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

The mainstream media seem to be catching up, but our noble politicians are finding it all a bit boring.

Minister of Foreign Affairs Charles Flanagans response to the Newstalk coverage on twitter?

"ZZ"

Deleted three minutes later.
    http://www.politwoops.co.uk/p/fine-gael/CharlieFlanagan/753983374830678016

What hope do these people have for justice in this country with that kind of tramp running it...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Can someone give me a brief summary in one post of what has happened with this case from her disappearance until today? I've read some of the thread but haven't had time to read it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wexford awake

Gemma O'Doherty was unfairly sacked by her employer, and this was finally acknowledged by her employer.

But now she's latched onto every allegation of corruption that slithers out of the Sinn Fein press office, and every lachrymose complaint made by Mick Wallace, fine & principled man as he is, I'm sure.

She's been shafted in the past, but she's not doing herself any favours by peddling so many conspiracy theories.

The Father Molloy case, whatever truth there may be in it, is a magnet for Shinners and the disaffected folk over on Twitter and TheJournal.ie.

Mary Boyle is just the new Father Molloy.

2 retired gardai who had first hand knowledge of the case are core contributors in your SO CALLED CONSPIRACY THEORY. This country has many sick skeletons in it's closet. Just when you think you've heard it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I see Sean McEniff has come out publicily and stated he was definitely not the councillor who phoned the Guards to stop any investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Satriale wrote: »
    The mainstream media seem to be catching up, but our noble politicians are finding it all a bit boring.

Minister of Foreign Affairs Charles Flanagans response to the Newstalk coverage on twitter?

"ZZ"

Deleted three minutes later.
    http://www.politwoops.co.uk/p/fine-gael/CharlieFlanagan/753983374830678016

What hope do these people have for justice in this country with that kind of tramp running it...

People voted the clown into the Dail so.....you get the morons you vote for.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I see Sean McEniff has come out publicily and stated he was definitely not the councillor who phoned the Guards to stop any investigation.

yeah done it through his lawyers too unlike pat the cope

he does protest too much in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

anna080 wrote: »
    Can someone give me a brief summary in one post of what has happened with this case from her disappearance until today? I've read some of the thread but haven't had time to read it all.

new full length documentary here anna might be handier for you:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

2 retired gardai who had first hand knowledge of the case are core contributors in your SO CALLED CONSPIRACY THEORY. This country has many sick skeletons in it's closet. Just when you think you've heard it all.

Has anyone explained this yet?

http://www.donegalnow.com/news/focus-must-remain-on-missing-mary-boyle-says-investigator-who-believes-cover-up-was-neither-political-or-state/104493

Advertisement