Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Chatwalk - Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

There were a few vintage shops on Rosenthal Strasse and in that area. The Mauerpark flea market is brilliant, loads of clothes, antiques, furniture, food and drink.
    The Humana second hand store is huge! And really cheap. I got a camel blazer for €6. http://www.humana-second-hand.de/shops.html
    Garage sells clothes by the kilo http://www.spottedbylocals.com/berlin/garage-second-hand/

The Lonely Planet guide to Berlin is excellent.

Fantastic city :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Cool heading there tomorrow and had only been looking at galleries but wouldn't mind buying myself a treat :) that flea market sounds brill will google it and hopefully it'll be on during the week.

It's just Sundays as far as I remember :(

The Hamburger Bahnhof is an amazing gallery. It's MASSIVE! Modern and Contemporary, when I was there they had some Fluxus stuff. Loads of installations and the likes. Closed on Mondays of course, but I definitely recommend it.

Edit: Have a curry wurst for me. Best fast food going.

yeah we've already planned that for thursday I believe, meant to be an amazing bookshop there, here's hoping for a student discount. Its gonna be five days so we'll hopefully see a lot but I think we'll need some non art to clear our heads by mid week (hence shopping :P).

yeah we've already planned that for thursday I believe, meant to be an amazing bookshop there, here's hoping for a student discount. Its gonna be five days so we'll hopefully see a lot but I think we'll need some non art to clear our heads by mid week (hence shopping :P).

The shop is great! I got my BF at the time a little wind up robot. He loved it!

If you're looking for regular shops, there's H&M and Zara and similar in the Alexa centre at Alexanderplatz.
    There's also a MAC Pro store if you're cosmetically inclined at 36 Rosenthalerstrasse ;) Found the staff really good in there.

• Advertisement

Twee. wrote: »
    The shop is great! I got my BF at the time a little wind up robot. He loved it!

If you're looking for regular shops, there's H&M and Zara and similar in the Alexa centre at Alexanderplatz.
    There's also a MAC Pro store if you're cosmetically inclined at 36 Rosenthalerstrasse ;) Found the staff really good in there.

thats good to know thanks.

I really wish I was gonna be there for the sunday markets. I love these types of markets, its a pity, we originally were meant to go wednesday-wednesday but then we changed out mind. ah well, maybe i'll go again in the summer time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Chupi in WYWT = Bleedin' wow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

o/

I don't want to start a new thread for this, cuz I suspect there are already about 100 similiar ones.

Where is somewhere good to get my eyebrows shaped? The new updated reallyrose needs new eyebrows. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

reallyrose wrote: »
    o/

I don't want to start a new thread for this, cuz I suspect there are already about 100 similiar ones.

Where is somewhere good to get my eyebrows shaped? The new updated reallyrose needs new eyebrows. :D

I highly recommend getting them threaded in Mandala Spa, Dawson St. There's one girl who does it, she's fantastic! But she does them quite thin, so if that's not what you're after get them waxed instead.

I love that place though; I'm fairly sure they do a student discount too. They're not open on Mondays but I've never had a problem getting an appt for the next day or so.

jokettle wrote: »
    I highly recommend getting them threaded in Mandala Spa, Dawson St. There's one girl who does it, she's fantastic! But she does them quite thin, so if that's not what you're after get them waxed instead.

I love that place though; I'm fairly sure they do a student discount too. They're not open on Mondays but I've never had a problem getting an appt for the next day or so.

I don't really know what I want. I always end up flail vaguely at my face and shruging.
    Last time I got them waxed, and the girl almost waxed my brow bone off. I had huge unsightly dry flakey skin all over my brow line for a week or two and patches of raw skin. :(
    I'm going for a weekend away with my boyfriend this weekend, so I'd rather not look like I have leprosy. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

If I've ever felt my brows were too thin I've filled them in with pencil/wax to make them more defined. I'll keep shamelessly plugging the threading technique because it doesn't hurt as much as waxing, takes 5 mins and your skin recovers much faster (at least, I think mine does) and loses the angry redness.

I went to the Benefit bar in Arnotts in the end. Brows look very nice, I keep stroking them.

*stroke*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I want to buy soo many things but have little money. Boo.

This will be my next purchase.

image1xl.jpg

So I'm actually going to buy this dress.

I want to wear it to a wedding. Is it a bit too much though?

Going to a club launch party tonight as part of my work placement! Had an outfit freak out but have decided on navy harem pants, a dark mustard shirt and tan wedges, hair in a big ol' top knot. Not too dressy, but polished.

I really must take a trip to some eyebrow experts soon! Bit of a mess going on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Going to a club launch party tonight as part of my work placement! Had an outfit freak out but have decided on navy harem pants, a dark mustard shirt and tan wedges, hair in a big ol' top knot. Not too dressy, but polished.

I really must take a trip to some eyebrow experts soon! Bit of a mess going on here!

I'm writing a blog post (for an archive blog) on the history of the Persian Carpet in Britain as part of my placement this week... Yesterday I worn jeans, plimsols and a sweater (+loads of shirts/vests, its freezing there). How glam!

I'm writing a blog post (for an archive blog) on the history of the Persian Carpet in Britain as part of my placement this week... Yesterday I worn jeans, plimsols and a sweater (+loads of shirts/vests, its freezing there). How glam!

I'm usually just in jeans for day to day, but tonight I'm getting fancy. The work for the last two months getting the launch and venue ready is paying off with champagne and yummy nibbles :D Our "office" is just the bar/venue during the day, it's cold in there too so lots of layers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

New place of work is business casual :(

Means I have to look nice everyday :p

Tallon wrote: »
    New place of work is business casual :(

Means I have to look nice everyday :p

Business casual sounds confusing! Is that like suit trousers and a shirt, but you don't need a tie kind of thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Business casual sounds confusing! Is that like suit trousers and a shirt, but you don't need a tie kind of thing?
    yeah thats it. Or slacks

Apparently we can get away with black jeans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I'm usually just in jeans for day to day, but tonight I'm getting fancy. The work for the last two months getting the launch and venue ready is paying off with champagne and yummy nibbles :D Our "office" is just the bar/venue during the day, it's cold in there too so lots of layers!

At least theres something glam to look forward to at the end of it! Outfit sounds lovely. I think the last 'night out' here was a cinema trip to watch an archive film on the making of carpets in the old company :rolleyes: I didn't make it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

The woman on the Off The Rails make over tonight had such a good body! 51 years old and looking amazing! Disappointed as usual with the actual make over though. >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

reallyrose wrote: »
    I went to the Benefit bar in Arnotts in the end. Brows look very nice, I keep stroking them.

*stroke*
    Yea! Getting your brows professionally done makes such a difference! I usually get mine done at Estee Lauder in BT. It's €20, but that's redeeemable against products. I usually get something I'd need anyway, like mascara or eyeliner, so effectively it's free :D
    So I'm actually going to buy this dress.

I want to wear it to a wedding. Is it a bit too much though?
    I think so, yes. It'd be a lovely dress for a night out but imo, it's a bit too much skin to be showing early in the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I would love to dress up a bit in work sometimes, but it's good I can dress casual (runner and a tshirt when in the schools, a little smarter when meeting grown ups)... bad side is when i have to wear the long skirts and cover elbows/collarbones when in religious parts but that's not often)
    My work and out of work clothes tho are kinda the same :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

My work clothes are total crap, because I work at home, ha. Right now I'm wearing a hoody and pj bottoms and Uggs. My clothes tend to get destroyed when I'm working so I don't bother wearing anything nice, a huge part of that is laziness too though. Doesn't bother me too much, after years in retail having to look good all the time this is great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

One of the huge advantages of college is being able ot wear whatever you want some girls wear hoodies and runners others are done up to the nines. I hate the restrictions imposed by jobs though I absolutely detest office wear, Wish I could get used to it. Finished placement in three weeks luckily,

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

I wouldn't fancy having to wear a suit everyday - few clients demand that now - but I love my smart work dresses. I do like having different wardrobes, work clothes, casual clothes. Our own office isn't that fussy so I do wear jeans sometimes but I never get as much work done. Wrong clothes to get in the work zone!

lainey316 wrote: »
    I wouldn't fancy having to wear a suit everyday - few clients demand that now - but I love my smart work dresses. I do like having different wardrobes, work clothes, casual clothes. Our own office isn't that fussy so I do wear jeans sometimes but I never get as much work done. Wrong clothes to get in the work zone!
    I agree the dresses are great, Also I think I could get away with a tailored shirt and short skirt with boots but I hate wearing suits as an intern I've been trying to stay on the safe side by sticking with suits thinking of changing it up next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

Sibylla wrote: »
    I agree the dresses are great, Also I think I could get away with a tailored shirt and short skirt with boots but I hate wearing suits as an intern I've been trying to stay on the safe side by sticking with suits thinking of changing it up next week!

I'd be wary of going too short as an intern but otherwise should be fine - you'll find when you have a good reputation in your job, you can get away with a little more in terms of your clothes (and sass!) because the quality of your work speaks for itself :) With a bit more cash as well you can get quirky suits that you'll like better - I have a particular love for dress suits, got a fab one with pleated sleeves in Jesire in the sale. Still a suit but not as 'ugh, boring suit'

Thanks Lainey, The dress suits certainly sound better.

On another note I think what forever 21 are doing for Japan is great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Sibylla wrote: »
    Thanks Lainey, The dress suits certainly sound better.

On another note I think what forever 21 are doing for Japan is great

I keep trying to get onto it to buy something but the website is down for me! :(

Advertisement