Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Getting Your Kit Off For Charity

Options
  • 12-10-2019 12:29am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So over the past few years or so, baring all for charity fundraising purposes seems to have become more popular. Women have been skinny dipping in the Irish Sea for the past few years to raise funds for breast cancer research and treatment and it seems to have been a big success.

Now, it is the turn of the men: the Dickie Dip will be held in November when the Irish Sea will be decidedly Baltic and the funds raised will be going towards prostate cancer treatment and research.

Here is the link:
    https://www.materfoundation.ie/event/dickiedip/

So have you taken part in such an event? Would or will you be taking part in any such skinny dip fundraiser in the coming year or years?

I swim nude from time to time - and it’s not a big deal for me but I know many Irish people are very wary about baring it all.

So, have you - or would you - dare to bare? :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Nah to be honest I could probably just work a days overtime and give that to charity rather than annoy everyone I know for social media likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,490 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

That carry on of people throwing buckets of water over each other seems to have died out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

JupiterKid wrote: »
    So over the past few years or so, baring all for charity fundraising purposes seems to have become more popular. Women have been skinny dipping in the Irish Sea for the past few years to raise funds for breast cancer research and treatment and it seems to have been a big success.

Now, it is the turn of the men: the Dickie Dip will be held in November when the Irish Sea will be decidedly Baltic and the funds raised will be going towards prostate cancer treatment and research.

Here is the link:
    https://www.materfoundation.ie/event/dickiedip/

So have you taken part in such an event? Would or will you be taking part in any such skinny dip fundraiser in the coming year or years?

I swim nude from time to time - and it’s not a big deal for me but I know many Irish people are very wary about baring it all.

So, have you - or would you - dare to bare? :pac:

I regularly swim naked, wouldn't bother me to do it in company (even with winter shrinkage). So yes, I'd dare to bare and if you have an event in mind give me a shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Dickie Dip. Superbly named :)

sugarman wrote: »
    ... in November? Youre alright. I'll donate a few bob to the brave souls that risk hypothermia tough. Could they not do it during the summer like the women for a better turn out?

The sea temperatures are still ok'ish for a dip, at the moment the sea temps are still in the low to mid teens.

You can check the sea state (including temperatures) on 'Magic Seaweed', an app on Android and Iphone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Well, I intend to take part in this as it’s for a good cause and I’ve swam in the sea naked many times before. I prefer to swim, sleep and sunbathe nude. Bathing suits are a soggy hassle IMO.

They only problem is that I currently don’t have a dickie bow...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

You get your kit off for whatever reason you want. Its your body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

No. Just no.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

So, less than a week to go until yours truly along with several hundred other brave men storm the Irish Sea for a good cause: raising funds for men’s cancer research and treatment. A huge amount of money has been raised for so far. :)

I’m very grateful to friends and family who have generously donated to my Dickie Dip challenge. Bought my dickie bow - selecting a good one was important as it’s the only thing I and the other lads will be wearing when we take the plunge next Saturday. :D :cool:

Anyone else on AH doing this charity challenge?

I've no dickie but I'd have no problem having a splash in the nuddy! And more people should swim in the sea, nuddy or not, there's nothing like it.

Good luck with the event, chaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

You’d have to be deeply dippy to take that on, fair dues

Didn't Terry do it for the SSF about 10 years ago when he was AH mod? Always knew he was ahead of his time, that man. It was the most thanked post ever for a while, can't remember if it was overtaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Didn't Terry do it for the SSF about 10 years ago when he was AH mod? Always knew he was ahead of his time, that man. It was the most thanked post ever for a while, can't remember if it was overtaken.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58637457&postcount=325

416 thanks, link to picture no longer works, was overtaken by quite a margin when DeVore posted 'Lets all laugh at people with depression!'
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056481009
    2599 thanks, and counting, (can't believe that's nearly 8 years ago)

Dudess did the strip for SantaStrikeForce as well, and a couple other mods I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,986 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As someone who nearly died of shock when I ran into the Atlantic last New Years Day, I really do admire you who plan to do this.

But wee favour, don't be posting any images. Thanks.

Candie wrote: »
    I've no dickie but I'd have no problem having a splash in the nuddy! And more people should swim in the sea, nuddy or not, there's nothing like it.

Good luck with the event, chaps.

I open water swim all the time, love doing it in the nip.

Myself and the OP are friends on FB so he'd see a lot of my sea and pool swims. I love swimming.

Swimming in the nip is brilliant, even taking shrinkage into account I love doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Some of the breast cancer campaigns are unbelievably tone-deaf towards sufferers. It’s a disease that strikes at the heart of a woman’s appearance, not to mention that mastectomies are pretty brutal procedures that can bring lots of complications. So the whole “LOL, tee hee, let’s strip off!” stuff can seem almost mocking at times.

And campaigns where balloons are put on dogs to mimic breasts and slogans like “Save The Tatas” or “Check Your Boobies/Norks/Melons!” are quite distasteful. Imagine a testicular cancer campaign telling men to ‘Grope Your Danglers!’? My “norks” are trying to kill me. LOL!

The worst I saw was an event where everyone wore bald caps in solidarity. Oh god, no. Just stop. Please.

But you can’t criticise this stuff publicly because you’ll get lambasted because “at least they are doing something!”. I kinda hate how the tertiary sector escapes a lot of criticism hiding behind this refrain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Dudess did the strip for SantaStrikeForce as well, and a couple other mods I think.
    Was that not Whoopsa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Some of the breast cancer campaigns are unbelievably tone-deaf towards sufferers. It’s a disease that strikes at the heart of a woman’s appearance, not to mention that mastectomies are pretty brutal procedures that can bring lots of complications. So the whole “LOL, tee hee, let’s strip off!” stuff can seem almost mocking at times.

And campaigns where balloons are put on dogs to mimic breasts and slogans like “Save The Tatas” or “Check Your Boobies/Norks/Melons!” are quite distasteful. Imagine a testicular cancer campaign telling men to ‘Grope Your Danglers!’? My “norks” are trying to kill me. LOL!

The worst I saw was an event where everyone wore bald caps in solidarity. Oh god, no. Just stop. Please.

But you can’t criticise this stuff publicly because you’ll get lambasted because “at least they are doing something!”. I kinda hate how the tertiary sector escapes a lot of criticism hiding behind this refrain.
    Yeah the stripping thing seems very lacking in sensitivity. And the bald caps - wtf?!

But maybe the other stuff is light hearted to make it seem less scary to check for changes and get any discoveries checked further? I dunno...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Yeah the stripping thing seems very lacking in sensitivity. And the bald caps - wtf?!

But maybe the other stuff is light hearted to make it seem less scary to check for changes and get any discoveries checked further? I dunno...

The stupid names and dog balloons are the most controversial devices amongst sufferers. Does the end justify the means? I’m not so sure. And, I don’t know, I think by giving breasts silly names, I think it just becomes part of the background noise, joining all the other “LOL, sex sells!” nonsense.

The best thing I ever saw re: boob-checking was that infographic with, like, ten panels, each showing a different indicative symptom. Clear and concise, no bullshit trivialisation of a disease that causes such misery and still kills 25% of all who get it. It’s kind of patronising of these charities to think that women need such stupid ploys to understand the importance of self-examination.

Advertisement