Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recycling, how effective is it in Ireland ?

• 07-07-2017 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

First let me point out I have little knowledge of this industry apart from trying to separate the stuff that we are told is recyclable and the stuff that isn't, and then trying to remember which bin I am supposed to drag out and when :)

What I'm wondering is this, how effective is the recycling industry of domestic waste in Ireland ? The wide range of companies in the recycling area must have a large carbon footprint, is it offset by the products recycled ?

Also, is there a definitive list of what can go into the Recycled bin ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,022 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The main reason I know why people recycle is because it's free/cheaper than sending rubbish to landfill. It's nothing to do with worrying about the environment.
    Certain things can and can't go into the bin. Crisp packets sometimes can't, Styrofoam can't, a few other things. We were told by our bin company that the cycling has to barely be clean.(No need to be washing out bottle/can's/etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Good question OP. I often thought that it can't be a great system as it requires lots of manual picking and little control over people who flout the system. I also wonder is it worth recycling some of the things that we're told to, such as HDPE milk bottles etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I once heard that our recycling is sold to China to be recycled and that once it gets there it's put in landfill. I don't know if this is true or not.
    If you contact the company picking up your bin they'll tell you what they will or won't accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

The bin man arrives and collects both my recycling and waste bin and then dumps them both into the same lorry with no separation. No point in us separating the stuff in this case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I try and recycle as much as I can and send little to landfill. I am however dubious of what actually happens to our plastics etc. I'm pretty sure they're shipped to China or other countries and sorted there, probably by children!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You'd be surprised at the sophistication of the machinery that sorts recycling. It's actually amazingly effective.

Most of our recycling goes over to mainland Europe for reprocessing before going on to China, economies of scale and that means that it works out well.

Our big problem in Ireland is that we're really bad at cleaning and sorting our recycling. This reduces the value of our recycling - at one point we had to pay recycling facilities overseas to take our stuff because the cost of sorting it there was so high.

And it's still a problem: https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0221/854387-waste/

Our neighbours in Europe are far more meticulous and conscientious about their green waste - they have way more than 3 bins. Whereas we just throw any old crap in.

I've always recycled, since the days of the original green recycling box (which I'm pretty sure all went to landfill), but I know of people who still just throw everything in the one bin because they don't care.

Pay by weight should sort out the laziness. Nothing really except fines and convictions can sort out the proper dirty bastards who dump their waste in ditches and in other peoples' bins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

The bin man arrives and collects both my recycling and waste bin and then dumps them both into the same lorry with no separation. No point in us separating the stuff in this case.

I've had a similar experience in the past..

I've seen this done all the time but their is a separation but you don't see it unless you see it up close!

I've seen this done all the time but their is a separation but you don't see it unless you see it up close!

This wasn't the case in my experience, I was standing waiting for the bin to be handed back. It was a standard truck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In case you're wondering how the hell you take an assortment of crap in your recycling bin and separate it out on an industrial scale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIVKmwzWSuc

Basically exploiting the differences in weight and composition to progressively pull it all apart.

Obviously these are big and expensive facilities to run so you need a lot of stuff to sort to make it worth your while. We don't have any of these in Ireland afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

Are you sure? Most bin trucks have a segregated core, so that the landfill bin will be lifted and emptied into one side of the truck, containing the landfill waste, and ditto on the other side for recycling, and another section for compost. From the outside, it all looks to be going into the same place though, but its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Yep have to read all the packaging. Amazing how many people in the office don't realise then film that wraps your tomatoes isn't recyclable but the tray is

Are you sure? Most bin trucks have a segregated core, so that the landfill bin will be lifted and emptied into one side of the truck, containing the landfill waste, and ditto on the other side for recycling, and another section for compost. From the outside, it all looks to be going into the same place though, but its not.

This is my experience as well. You've to really look into the lorry to see the division tough.

I will check again with the guys tomorrow, just to confirm what I saw.

Still left wondering my Question, how effective is recycling in general ?

sunny2004 wrote: »
    I will check again with the guys tomorrow, just to confirm what I saw.

Still left wondering my Question, how effective is recycling in general ?

You should ask your bin company about what they do with their recycling.
    I suppose to answer your question. It's better than it all going to land fill. I think tough if bin charges go any more expensive than they are at the moment. We might see a lot more illegal jumping.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I think overall, it's actually very effective. I work with our facilities team to improve our waste management, and there are quite amazing things you can do. Regular recycling does indeed suffer quite a bit from food contamination - essentially, any old rubbish thrown in, or food packaging that wasn't rinsed out before it was put in the bin. While that doesn't necessarily interfere with the recycling process itself (aluminium for example gets melted at temperatures that would vapourise any organic compounds), but it is a health hazard, and if the waste has to be stored or transported before being treated it attracts vermin.

But once the items are clean, it's quite amazing how much can be recycled these days. Even for the things you cannot put in the bin yet, like soft plastics, there are companies that will take them and recycle them. And they'll pay you for it. In my office, we donate that money to charity.

And there already are plenty of things that recycled plastics are used for - from flower pots to garden furniture to decking to front gates and fences to actual clothing and picture frames.

Really though I would prefer it if we could avoid using so much packaging in the first place. I don't really understand why you can't buy a cucumber without it being shrink-wrapped in the stuff, for example. Or why we have to have those plastic rings around drinks cans, rather than putting them into a cardboard box instead, for example.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'd like to see a can/bottle deposit system in ireland, it's annoying at the start but it works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

When I was a nipper you'd get 2p for a bottle.

Just to show how uncoordinated things can be I empted a plastic bleach container and had a look at the info for recycling - the bottle fine, the label fine, the cap not fine. So I took that off and put it in the general waste. Obviously I thought why the hell does a company not have a fully recyclable product? Make the cap out of something else! In fact it should be illegal to make any "domestic grade" plastic item that cannot be sent for recycling.

Shenshen wrote: »

Really though I would prefer it if we could avoid using so much packaging in the first place. I don't really understand why you can't buy a cucumber without it being shrink-wrapped in the stuff, for example.

I worked in a supermarket for a brief period before and it's one thing that I really like now is seeing fruit and veg in wrapping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Shenshen wrote: »

Really though I would prefer it if we could avoid using so much packaging in the first place. I don't really understand why you can't buy a cucumber without it being shrink-wrapped in the stuff, for example. Or why we have to have those plastic rings around drinks cans, rather than putting them into a cardboard box instead, for example.

A lot of time packaging is there for a reason. The shrink wrap on a cucumber actually extends the shelf life more than three times that of an unwrapped one

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/a-lesson-in-packaging-myths-is-shrink-wrap-on-a-cucumber-really-mindless-waste-8340812.html

Reduce excessive packaging of course and I agree there needs to be more thought in to the type of materials used for the necessary packaging to ensure it can be recycled. Packaging designers and the recycling industry need to talk more often!

Advertisement