Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Irish - How do you learn ?

• 04-10-2015 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi everyone I'm just wondering how do you approach learning answers for prós/filíocht/dráma questions in Irish (Hurlamaboc, An t-Earrach Thiar, An Triail etc.)

I have loads of notes written out with excellent phrases and points which I use when writing up answers for homework. However, that's all I'm able to do with them!

How do you learn answers/points/notes for these questions for exams? Any tips would be appreciated because I just seem to be stuck in a hole at the moment :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Comhairleoir

If you want to learn word for word - be it a full sample answer or just phrases - you have to practise writing them out over and over again. It is time-consuming but rewarding. You can memorise one or two key words in each sentence as a trigger for recalling the whole sentence. It may be useful for you to learn these words and then practise using them to recall the whole sentence.

The most important thing for answering prose and poetry questions is knowing a summary of the poem or story. The way the questions are asked and laid out, this will get you a C. Linking your summary to a meafar or íomhá or tréith áirithe will increase your mark. So before you get technical, know the story/poem inside out. Imagine you were at a table quiz and had to answer questions on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 nikkilc

I find it so difficult to learn these too, but seeing as my Irish is pretty rubbish - it's my only option :P
    What I do is read the whole paragraph, then write out each sentence line by line in bullet points, and try to learn one sentence at a time. When I've finished the paragraph, I read back over them once, put the notes away, and try to write it all out.
    It's the best way I've found so far to approach the learning! :)

Advertisement