Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

connecting ps3 through vodafone 3g broadband

• 04-11-2008 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭

hi folks i,m wondering is it possible to do the above mentioned and if so how can i do this???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

yes it is, you need to coonect your computer to your ps3 and set up your computer for internet connection sharing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Niall0 wrote: »
    yes it is, you need to coonect your computer to your ps3 and set up your computer for internet connection sharing.
    thanks niallo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

can you connect them wirelessly or do you need a LAN cable to connect the computer and ps3?

anyone else had any experience with vodafone broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Can be done easily in VISTA or XP.

Connect computer to PS3 using supplied Ethernet cable. Some people say that the supplied cable won't work because it is not a "crossover cable". They are wrong (unless your computer or OS is very old or unpatched).

Connect to the internet as normal using your Vodafone 3G thing.

Go into network connections, and right-click on the Vodafone 3G connection (which should be "active" or "connected" or whatever).

Select "sharing".

Check the box that says "sharing". In the drop-down just below it, select "LAN" or similar (that effectively shares the internet connection to whatever is connected on the Ethernet port).

You may be good to go. If not then go into Ps3 settings -> "Network Settings" and ensure they are set correctly (can't remember what they should look like - will post again later when I'm sitting at PS3 / laptop).

Some people say that the 3G services aren't fast enough for gaming. I've played LPB and RFOM with no problems with mine... in particular RFOM was lag free.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

Would this work the same of O2 3G? Im thinking of getting it this week, the student deal @ 13euro a month! Theirs no way of connecting wirelessly? one last thing, can my computer still connect to the ps3 for streaming movies etc.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭3DataModem

flynner13 wrote: »
    Would this work the same of O2 3G? Im thinking of getting it this week, the student deal @ 13euro a month! Theirs no way of connecting wirelessly? one last thing, can my computer still connect to the ps3 for streaming movies etc.?

Yes it should work same for O2.. although I've not tried it only 3 and Vodafone.

Yes you can connect wirelessly, but it's a little more complicated... you have to configure your PC so that the PS3 thinks its a Wireless Router.

Yes you can stream stuff from your PC to your PS3. I prefer to keep my movies on an external 320GB hard disk formatted to FAT32 (cost €69) and just plug it into the PS3 USB to watch stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 tetsuo_83

any mac users that want to share their 3G connection using a macbook/imacs built in airport card can just do this.

Turn on Internet sharing:
    select the network you want to share and share it via airport and give your network a name... set up a 5 digit WEP key if you want protection.

open terminal and type ifconfig en1
    This will give you your router number, mine was 10.0.2.1, it will be listed next to the word inet
    next type dig, this will give you your ISP's DNS numbers (at the very bottom, next to the word server)

On your PS3 open the network settings, scan for your new network, enter the WEP key and configure the IP manually.

Under IP type the router number but add a digit to the last number, in other words, my router was 10.0.2.1, so I assigned my PS3 the IP 10.0.2.2
    use the standard subnet mask of 255.255.0.0
    enter the router number you found (10.0.2.1)
    enter the DNS numbers found earlier.

MTU = Auto
    Proxy Server = Do Not Use
    UPnP = doesnt make a difference

and thats it, your done... im using my PS3 with o2 mobile broadband right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Commsoft

Alternatively you can now get a USB 3G router such as the Dovado UMR. See the dedicated thread on boards.ie's "Midband" forum.

More information also at http://3G-router.ie

Regards

Gerry
    Commsoft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ada4347

Im thinking of getting a ps3 slim for christmas! But I was hearing that you can connect it with a mobile broadband and I have Vodafone modem im wondering when i share the settings on my laptop then the ps3 wat do i go into i know i go into network settings but then what im so confused?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,823 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I also would love to know how to connect the vodafone 3G to the ps3

ive the laptop connected by the Ethernet cable but I go into control panel,network and sharing centre and from there I go to manage network connections and right click vodafone modem symbol and then i go into vodafone modem properties and click sharing tab but this comes up

windows cannot display properties of connection. the windows management instrumentation might be corrupted. to correct this,system restore windows to an earlier date etc etc

my operating system is vista

what the **** is wrong ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I have a 3 modem here,I might try it with my ps3 later.

Ok I have a Vodafone modem and Im getting a PS3 Slim Console for Christmas and I want to put my modem on it and i was wondering do you get an Ethernet cable with it somewhone please help me out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

I have a 3 modem here,I might try it with my ps3 later.

mine works fine

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

dave80 wrote: »
    mine works fine

Whats it like for gaming online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

Whats it like for gaming online?

ive only played gta4 with it and it worked fine

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭evanSpiddal

tetsuo_83 wrote: »
    any mac users that want to share their 3G connection using a macbook/imacs built in airport card can just do this.

Turn on Internet sharing:
    select the network you want to share and share it via airport and give your network a name... set up a 5 digit WEP key if you want protection.

open terminal and type ifconfig en1
    This will give you your router number, mine was 10.0.2.1, it will be listed next to the word inet
    next type dig, this will give you your ISP's DNS numbers (at the very bottom, next to the word server)

On your PS3 open the network settings, scan for your new network, enter the WEP key and configure the IP manually.

Under IP type the router number but add a digit to the last number, in other words, my router was 10.0.2.1, so I assigned my PS3 the IP 10.0.2.2
    use the standard subnet mask of 255.255.0.0
    enter the router number you found (10.0.2.1)
    enter the DNS numbers found earlier.

MTU = Auto
    Proxy Server = Do Not Use
    UPnP = doesnt make a difference

and thats it, your done... im using my PS3 with o2 mobile broadband right now.

Thank You!!! I've been trying to get my PS3 online with 3 Mobile Broadband for ages, Works great!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 monks2008

3DataModem wrote: »
    Yes it should work same for O2.. although I've not tried it only 3 and Vodafone.

Yes you can connect wirelessly, but it's a little more complicated... you have to configure your PC so that the PS3 thinks its a Wireless Router.

Yes you can stream stuff from your PC to your PS3. I prefer to keep my movies on an external 320GB hard disk formatted to FAT32 (cost €69) and just plug it into the PS3 USB to watch stuff.

Hey how do i get this set up(Yes you can connect wirelessly, but it's a little more complicated... you have to configure your PC so that the PS3 thinks its a Wireless Router)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭ikol

yea if anyone knows how to connect wireless through vista that would be great.

last night i tryed it with a vodafone modem.. and when i went to network sharing i went ta view status an properties then sharing an then clicked the first yoke something like allow acces by other networks. and i tryed it A MIN ago an it optained ip address and internet connection so i done system update an it stoped at 4 so wud it be my internet is too slow?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭maninblack

im on 3 mobile broadband atm

I was going to hook the ps3 up to it last night, but was worried about it eating up the monthly data allowance (10gb)!

Does gaming on the likes of Modern Warfare 2 use up an awful lot of data? How much would an hours playtime use for example?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

maninblack wrote: »
    im on 3 mobile broadband atm

I was going to hook the ps3 up to it last night, but was worried about it eating up the monthly data allowance (10gb)!

Does gaming on the likes of Modern Warfare 2 use up an awful lot of data? How much would an hours playtime use for example?

I had the same worries before i hooked mine up but it's not as much as you'd think. An hour of online play for me can be around 30-50 MB.

no it does not dont worry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Sorry mods for bring us this thread again, but ive been trying for hours to get this to work.

Basically im following all the intructions on here regarding connecting my PS3 to the internet with a 02 mobile broadband..

Every time my Ps3 searchs for a IP address it says it cannot find one..

Please some one help me..

Im using Windows Vista..A O2 Mobile broadband...

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

Well sorry for bumping this thread again but it's better than opening another one.

I have a family member trying to hook up a new slim PS3 to 3 mobile and has came up blank on two Windows Vista machines.

A friend of his has told him that he had the same problem with Vista but that he has his running on a Windows XP machine.

I am going to test it out on my XP machine today.

Could save someone a few hours of hair pulling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I'm about to go out and buy a ethernet cable to connect my xp pc to my ps3 today. I was looking on teh other thrend and noticed that with the vodafone properties in the advanced tab there is a tick box that says share, on my 3 properties there is no such thing in this part.
    ANyone help before i get a cable or will this only appear when i have the cable connected?

Someone, please help me ive tried everything above but like when im in de sharing tab do i select allow other computer networks connectionns etc... an den local area conection an den astablish a network connection thing an den allow other network connections to disable settings etc... do i do dat or something. else whn i do dat wen i try obtain IP address it always fails an i rlly want to get online please some1 help me im bored with out psn.. and i didnt get to experience online gaming so please help me... thnks for any help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭darkmark79

ada4347 wrote: »
    Someone, please help me ive tried everything above but like when im in de sharing tab do i select allow other computer networks connectionns etc... an den local area conection an den astablish a network connection thing an den allow other network connections to disable settings etc... do i do dat or something. else whn i do dat wen i try obtain IP address it always fails an i rlly want to get online please some1 help me im bored with out psn.. and i didnt get to experience online gaming so please help me... thnks for any help :D

Hi if you have win7 on your comp you can use this (http://www.connectify.me/).It works a treat .

does dat work on a vodafone modem

Well Im trying to connect via 3 broadband and I cant I keep getting an error message "DNS error 80710102"what does this mean anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭darkmark79

Well Im trying to connect via 3 broadband and I cant I keep getting an error message "DNS error 80710102"what does this mean anyone?

Google it , its to do with your ip address i think .You have to manually change it to go on line .

Advertisement