Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CC3 -- Why I believe that a third option is needed for climate change

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The Dust Bowl conditions of the 1930s is widely accepted to be linked to the positive AMO of the time. The same thing is occuring in the current positive AMO, with similar conditions leading to the California fire weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 sosndt

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Engaging with 'contrarians and cranks' is part and parcel of debate. Public debate is what engages the public (hence the term) and helps greatly with the public's understanding of whatever topic is being debated.

What is it about 'scientists', and particularly 'climate scientists' that they set themselves apart from common discourse? If they do wish (as they clearly do) to enter into the political arena as a lobby group, then they'll have to wise up a bit and stop hiding behind 'the scientific literature' and troubled teenage girls in the obvious effort to avoid any serious public scrutiny.

Another way to look at it is.
    Would I as a qualified person in my field take advice from a moron on the internet? No I wouldn't.
    Or would I as a qualified person allow myself to be instructed on how to do my job by someone with less knowledge than me? No I wouldn't.
    Or would I even enter a debate with someone just plain talking out their hole while learning from YouTube videos?
    No I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

sosndt wrote:
    Another way to look at it is. Would I as a qualified person in my field take advice from a moron on the internet? No I wouldn't. Or would I as a qualified person allow myself to be instructed on how to do my job by someone with less knowledge than me? No I wouldn't. Or would I even enter a debate with someone just plain talking out their hole while learning from YouTube videos? No I wouldn't.

To be fair, YouTube can be a great source of information, a lot of nonsense on it to though, like anything though

sosndt wrote: »
    Would I as a qualified person in my field take advice from a moron on the internet? No I wouldn't.
    Or would I as a qualified person allow myself to be instructed on how to do my job by someone with less knowledge than me? No I wouldn't.
    Or would I even enter a debate with someone just plain talking out their hole while learning from YouTube videos?
    No I wouldn't.

And still MT chooses to debate with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

No I wouldn't.

And yet here we are.

I'm grateful someone like MT as a qualified person (and it seems the ONLY qualified person in this chat) does take the time to engage with us randomers on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭oriel36

Just to highlight that the Arctic area makes up a tiny percentage of the Earth's total global surface area. North of the Arctic circle 66.5N (northern Iceland) is only 4% of the total surface area, while north of 80N (Svalbard) is just 0.76%. The Mercator maps typically shown in general information gives the false impression that it is much bigger, but the map below shows the true size.

One of the nicest facts out there is that when daily rotation and all its effects are subtracted, the entire surface of the planet experiences a single day/night cycle as a function of our orbital motion. For whatever reason, people understand this because at the North and South poles where net daily rotational velocity is zero (as opposed to a maximum rotational velocity at the Equator), they still experience a single day/night cycle with sunrise/sunset on the equinoxes at the North/South polar latitudes.

The Arctic and Antarctic circles represent the maximum surface area, with the North/South poles as their centre, where the Sun is constantly in view or out of sight on the Solstice with those areas shrinking after the Solstice until the roles are reversed on the equinox with the one and only sunrise or sunset at the respective poles -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okw6Mu3mxdM

A notable feature of the polar regions is that the Sun tracks in opposite directions as a consequence of the specific way the Earth orbits the Sun -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOCCSegL8ic&t=61s

A few weeks ago up to the December Solstice, the surface area where the Sun is constantly in view with the South pole at the centre was expanding while the area where the Sun is constantly out of sight at the North pole was also expanding. Presently a week after the solstice, the distance between the North and South poles to the circle of illumination is shrinking and with it the decrease in surface area where the Sun is constantly in view or out of sight.

In short, it takes two distinct types of surface rotations to explain the seasonal and cyclical appearance and disappearance of Arctic sea ice or indeed the seasons at lower latitudes.

This is the sort of chart I was referring to above. The Arctic warming looks a large proportion of the total area but it's actually just a few percent. The red area north of Russia is tiny in reality.

498619.jpg

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/1210789517713502208?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

No I wouldn't.

If there is no doubt that climate change is happening as they say it is...then they should have no problem answering ALL questions thrown at them...but they are not willing to do this...and why is that...why are they afraid to have a debate...im sure they are getting well paid for their "research" and they think it should not be questioned at all...Absolutely ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pantomine2020

Ryan Maue

I'm sure you know who he is, the equivalent of posting scientific data provided by Andrew Wakefield on a Vaccination thread.

As this is a new profile I cant post links but a simple search will show this ex Cato institute "scientist" has misrepresented the science continuously to further his career and get into the Trump show.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

No I wouldn't.

Classic. Typical of the current generation that I see coming up. Accept everything, challenge nothing, but yet continually lose. Lambs for the slaughter.

• Advertisement

I'm sure you know who he is, the equivalent of posting scientific data provided by Andrew Wakefield on a Vaccination thread.

As this is a new profile I cant post links but a simple search will show this ex Cato institute "scientist" has misrepresented the science continuously to further his career and get into the Trump show.

Again it's who posted it rather than what was posted. Did you find something wrong with the data? That's all that matters. I'm guessing we won't see from you again after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

No I wouldn't.

Well, if this is a reflection of the attitude of climate scientists, then they fully deserve not to be listened too.

"Cherish those who seek the truth.
    Beware of those who find it..."

-Some guy who I can't think of the name of right now.

New Moon

The Dust Bowl conditions of the 1930s is widely accepted to be linked to the positive AMO of the time. The same thing is occuring in the current positive AMO, with similar conditions leading to the California fire weather.

SSTs on a more global scale were overall generally cooler than the present though.

ersst5_world-ced2_sstanom_1934-13.png

with the central Pacific in a possible 'La Nina' phase. (I am not to be quoted on that!)

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The IPCC have always defined "ice-free" to be 5 consecutive September minimum extents of <1 million km². If the chance of a given September being ice-free could be low, then the chance of any 5 in a row being ice-free is even lower.

You’re wrong. The IPCC define ‘nearly ice free’ as 5 years of less than 10 million km2, but ‘ice free’ can be any single given year with less than 1million KM2 of sea ice in the arctic

I don't think anyone here, not least MT, is claiming that it's not warmer now than 1998, so I don't quite know where you're going with that.
    I was talking about Lindzen who banged on about ‘no warming for a decade’ because 1998 was an exceptional year at the time(strong El Niño until it warmed again and now even La Niña years are warmer than 1998 and he has never acknowledged that he was wrong, nor has he revised his opinion when the data came in to refute his low climate sensitivity argument’

This was in response to the US 1934 comment. Most of the global warming has been occuring in the northern hemisphere, where almost 70 percent of the total landmass is. Of that landmass, North America makes up about 30%. To discount this as "local" is not a sound argument.
    Its certainly not global now is it Gaoth Laidir

That and the oven analogy are ridiculous and are typical of the hyperbole being spewed out. Sure enough you backed it up with the Guardian link, which must be doing really well out of all the clicks it's been getting from its climate crusade, given that each article comes with a begging bowl at the bottom of the page.

To even associate a 30-degree spike in the Arctic with the same in a French summer, however unlikely, says a lot about the desperate measures required to try to rebutt some points being made. It is infinitely easier (and much more common) for a cold region like the Arctic to warm to still a cold temperature than it is for France to do so.

I posted it and mentioned France to show how extreme this event was for the region. The extreme heat in the arctic was offset by extreme cold in Europe which balanced out the temperature anomalies for that year. When looking at global temperature anomalies, it is disingenuous to point to regional or local extremes to compare against global average temperature anomalies. In 1934 the US was much hotter than average was it colder than average in Siberia, or China, or Europe that year to balance it out?

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Interesting study showing abrupt climate change every 1470
    Years (ish) in paeleo climate mapping. They have no idea what the cause is, but can see a time pattern...

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1029/2003GL017115
    Even assuming that this paper is accurate ( and it’s 17 years old without much impact on the literature)
    The timing does nothing to explain the current warming

Engaging with 'contrarians and cranks' is part and parcel of debate. Public debate is what engages the public (hence the term) and helps greatly with the public's understanding of whatever topic is being debated.

What is it about 'scientists', and particularly 'climate scientists' that they set themselves apart from common discourse? If they do wish (as they clearly do) to enter into the political arena as a lobby group, then they'll have to wise up a bit and stop hiding behind 'the scientific literature' and troubled teenage girls in the obvious effort to avoid any serious public scrutiny.

Climate scientists deliver lectures and speak to the public about the science all of the time. Debating on a podium with an opponent is not how science is debated, the format does not suit honest rigorous debate because a liar or a fool can throw out more lies than an honest person can debunk in the allotted rebuttal time and when dealing with esoteric topics the general public can not easily tell which facts are true and which are false

Scientific debate happens in the scientific literature

Non scientists debate climate change all of the time and it usually generates more heat than light

One thing we must keep in mind is that global ocean temperatures are pretty high in the present age, which naturally increases global humidity values. This can actually help suppress high summer maxima even in this 'warmer age'. That heat back in '34 could well be down to low RH values which, in the great order of things, can lead to higher temperatures by day and lower temperatures by night (which is why, for example, that temperatures here in Ireland in late-April and May - a period of the year that typically has the lowest RH values - can have a daily 'Diurnal range' of 15c or more.

I don't know much about US temperatures, but I wager that night time minima over there would be rising faster than day time maxima over the last 50 years or so.
    It doesn’t naturally Increase humidity values. 90% of the heat from global warming is going into heating up the oceans. In fact the sea level rises are mostly due to thermal expansion of the water as it heats up because of AGU

Hooter23 wrote: »
    If there is no doubt that climate change is happening as they say it is...then they should have no problem answering ALL questions thrown at them...but they are not willing to do this...and why is that...why are they afraid to have a debate...im sure they are getting well paid for their "research" and they think it should not be questioned at all...Absolutely ridiculous
    If you want a video the late Stephen Schneider talked to a room full of skeptics a few weeks before his death.

https://youtu.be/MWgLJrkK8NY
    This is from almost 10 years ago and the science has only gotten more robust since then (yet these same ‘skeptic’ arguments keep on getting recycled over and over again

Scientists are not afraid of honest questions about the science

Akrasia wrote: »
    You’re wrong. The IPCC define ‘nearly ice free’ as 5 years of less than 10 million km2, but ‘ice free’ can be any single given year with less than 1million KM2 of sea ice in the arctic

OK, fair enough, being pedantic, the IPCC use the word "nearly" for the 5 years. However, they still have it ranging from 1 in 100 to 1 in 3 chance of a single September being ice-free by the end of the century for a 1.5-2-degree stabilised warming. Match that with what some of the leading scientists have projected. Ice-free by 2019-2020 (and even 2016 in some cases). Are these scientists "contrarians", as the IPCC seems to be ignoring them (and rightly so)?

From Wikipedia:
    Many scientists have attempted to estimate when the Arctic will be "ice-free". Professor Peter Wadhams of the University of Cambridge is among these scientists;[23] Wadhams in 2014 predicted that by 2020 "summer sea ice to disappear,"[24][25] Wadhams and several others have noted that climate model predictions have been overly conservative regarding sea ice decline.[1][26]

A 2013 paper suggested that models commonly underestimate the solar radiation absorption characteristics of wildfire soot.[27]

In 2007, Professor Wieslaw Maslowski from the Naval Postgraduate School, California, predicted removal of summer ice by 2013;[28] subsequently, in 2013, Maslowski predicted 2016 ±3 years.[29]

A 2006 paper predicted "near ice-free September conditions by 2040".[30]

Overland and Wang (2013) investigated three different ways of predicting future sea ice levels. From sea ice models and recent satellite images it can be expected that a sea ice free summer will come before 2020.[31]

The IPCC AR5 (for at least one scenario) estimates an ice-free summer might occur around 2050.[4]

The Third U.S. National Climate Assessment (NCA), released May 6, 2014, reports that the Arctic Ocean is expected to be ice free in summer before mid-century. Models that best match historical trends project a nearly ice-free Arctic in the summer by the 2030s.[32][33] However, these models do tend to underestimate the rate of sea ice loss since 2007. Based on the outcomes of several different models, Overland and Wang (2013) put the early limit for a sea ice free summer Arctic near 2040.[31]

Professor James Anderson of Harvard University envisions the Arctic Ice gone by the early 2020s. "The chance that there will be any permanent ice left in the Arctic after 2022 is essentially zero," he said in June of 2019.[34]

• Advertisement

OK, fair enough, being pedantic, the IPCC use the word "nearly" for the 5 years. However, they still have it ranging from 1 in 100 to 1 in 3 chance of a single September being ice-free by the end of the century for a 1.5-2-degree stabilised warming. Match that with what some of the leading scientists have projected. Ice-free by 2019-2020 (and even 2016 in some cases). Are these scientists "contrarians", as the IPCC seems to be ignoring them (and rightly so)?

From Wikipedia:

From Wikipedia:
    it’s not pedantic to point out that you’re comparing apples with oranges. The odds of any given year being ice free is not the same as the first ice free year.

It’s also not pedantic to point out that the 1 in a hundred odds relates to a scenario where we limit warming to 1.5c or below, not the range between 1.5 and 2c

Peter Wadhams is one of the leading experts on arctic sea ice. He thinks the IPCC are being too conservative on their projections and thinks it is a case of sooner rather than later even with the current levels of warming mainly due to a difference of opinion on methane releases and other feedbacks
    On the methane issue Wadhams is a contrarian because I don’t think he is following the best available evidence to inform his view, but even so, his error is on the timescale, not the fundamental science, and his error is likely to be measured in decades rather than centuries, so for the medium term consequences for humanity, we’d be a hell of a lot better off by heeding Wadhams advice than ignoring it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

No denying Wadhams credentials, but he is purely an alarmist and a sensationalist. At this stage his predictions on ice free Arctic basin are to be ignored, much like his claims of assassination.
    Each time his prediction fails, he is not challenged on this but rather encouraged to make another prediction. At what point does he discredit himself?

It's like tabloid science.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭oriel36

Arctic sea ice develops with the North pole at its centre as the surface area (where the Sun and its radiation are absent) expands from the September equinox to the December Solstice until it reaches a maximum circumference known as the Arctic circle at Northern latitudes and the Antarctic circle at it's Southern equivalent where the Sun and it's radiation is constantly in view. Post Solstice that circumference begins to shrink until the area disappears altogether and the roles are reversed.

The one and only sunrise at the Northern polar latitudes is on the March Equinox where radiation and the Sun stay constantly in view for 6 months with an expanding surface area where the Sun is constantly present thereby causing the seasonal disappearance of sea ice.

It doesn't make me an 'expert' , in fact it doesn't make me anything other than appreciate how the entire surface turns once each year parallel to the orbital plane as a function of the Earth's orbital motion where the North and South Poles ( where net daily rotational velocity is zero) act like beacons for this surface rotation.

The relationship between the polar latitudes to the circle of illumination is the most important as this dictates the surface area in constant solar radiation or where it is absent, again, with the North/South Poles at the centre of expansion and contraction. The distance between the poles increases and decreases when they are at a maximum distance on the Solstice and exist on the circle of illumination of the Equinoxes -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OgLCH7jYp8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Space_Climate_Observatory#/media/File:EpicEarth-Globespin-tilt-23.4.gif

Far from being simple, the reasons why Copernicus changed his views from Commentariolus to De Revolutionibus are complicated and involve distinguishing cyclical dynamics as they apply to Earth sciences as opposed to the same dynamics as they apply to a close proximity to timekeeping and into predictive astronomy (eclipses, transits, ect).

First things first - what causes Arctic sea ice to appear and disappear with the North pole at the centre of that development ?. The answer means stepping outside the current topic as it is presented to observers and readers.

It doesn’t naturally Increase humidity values. 90% of the heat from global warming is going into heating up the oceans. In fact the sea level rises are mostly due to thermal expansion of the water as it heats up because of AGU
    I'll take your word for it, but here is a small example of the effect cooler SST has on Valentia in the SW regarding RH values. Data is based on hourly RH values which are then averaged out over a running mean of 365 days.

dbQnoU9.png
    (Met Eireann)

As we all know, the North Atlantic SSTs fell unusually low in 2015, peaking (or should that read 'troughing'?) in late summer 2015 before rising back to the normal modern era warmer state. Quite clearly, this intense but brief cooler state in 2015 had a marked effect on Valentia's RH values.

New Moon

Climate scientists deliver lectures and speak to the public about the science all of the time. Debating on a podium with an opponent is not how science is debated, the format does not suit honest rigorous debate because a liar or a fool can throw out more lies than an honest person can debunk in the allotted rebuttal time and when dealing with esoteric topics the general public can not easily tell which facts are true and which are false

In other words, climate scientists are of an authoritarian bent. The guardians of an 'esoteric' truth of which the public are to dumb to understand, yet are ordered to accept.

Climate scientists place themselves on too high a horse. They look at numbers, that is all, and numbers that do not matter to the vast majority of people in the world.

New Moon

I'll take your word for it, but here is a small example of the effect cooler SST has on Valentia in the SW regarding RH values. Data is based on hourly RH values which are then averaged out over a running mean of 365 days.

dbQnoU9.png
    (Met Eireann)

As we all know, the North Atlantic SSTs fell unusually low in 2015, peaking (or should that read 'troughing'?) in late summer 2015 before rising back to the normal modern era warmer state. Quite clearly, this intense but brief cooler state in 2015 had a marked effect on Valentia's RH values.

Sorry Oneric, I wasn’t disputing the link between SST and RH, I was pointing out that the warmer SSTs are not natural, they are one of the main consequences of global warming

Well, if this is a reflection of the attitude of climate scientists, then they fully deserve not to be listened too.

"Cherish those who seek the truth.
    Beware of those who find it..."

-Some guy who I can't think of the name of right now.

It's my attitude....not climatologists

Danno wrote: »
    Classic. Typical of the current generation that I see coming up. Accept everything, challenge nothing, but yet continually lose. Lambs for the slaughter.

Thanks.
    Never thought I'd be referred to as up and coming at 40.

Maybe my point is just a little uncomfortable for you.

it’s not pedantic to point out that you’re comparing apples with oranges. The odds of any given year being ice free is not the same as the first ice free year.

It’s also not pedantic to point out that the 1 in a hundred odds relates to a scenario where we limit warming to 1.5c or below, not the range between 1.5 and 2c

I already pointed out that the two probabilities each referred to each temperature rise.
    Peter Wadhams is one of the leading experts on arctic sea ice. He thinks the IPCC are being too conservative on their projections and thinks it is a case of sooner rather than later even with the current levels of warming mainly due to a difference of opinion on methane releases and other feedbacks
    On the methane issue Wadhams is a contrarian because I don’t think he is following the best available evidence to inform his view, but even so, his error is on the timescale, not the fundamental science, and his error is likely to be measured in decades rather than centuries, so for the medium term consequences for humanity, we’d be a hell of a lot better off by heeding Wadhams advice than ignoring it

So you think we should listen to Wadhams? Have you actually seen what he's said in 2014? He just extrapolated the curve and came up with 2020.
    "No models here...this is data." This data shows ice volume "is accelerating downward," Wadhams said. "There doesn't seem to be anything to stop it from going down to zero.

"By 2020, one would expect the summer sea ice to disappear. By summer, we mean September. ... (but) not many years after, the neighboring months would also become ice-free."

But he added that it's hard to deny the actual data. He had plotted the ice decline as a graph curving steadily and increasingly downward since the 1970s and hitting zero in 2020.

Wadhams -- who has spent much of his life working in, on or under the Arctic ice -- said he is not suggesting the Arctic is on its way to becoming the new Mediterranean. He is only suggesting the polar ice cap that has locked the region under ice year-round for centuries is going to go away, at least in summer.

"In fact, it (the Arctic) could become nastier" because of that, he added, citing the weather conditions that can develop as rain, wind and snow whip over vast expanses of broken ice.

Wadhams has previously made predictions that Arctic melt would occur faster than most models estimate; in 2012, he said that the Arctic could be ice-free by the summer of 2015 or 2016.

I think instead of listening to Chief Wadhams we should instead listen to Chief Wiggam.

• Advertisement

Its certainly not global now is it Gaoth Laidir

No, and neither is the Arctic. Or Australia.

I posted it and mentioned France to show how extreme this event was for the region. The extreme heat in the arctic was offset by extreme cold in Europe which balanced out the temperature anomalies for that year. When looking at global temperature anomalies, it is disingenuous to point to regional or local extremes to compare against global average temperature anomalies. In 1934 the US was much hotter than average was it colder than average in Siberia, or China, or Europe that year to balance it out?

I don't know if it was or not, but Siberia/China/Europe are larger than the Arctic anomaly area.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement