Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Weather Presenters of the past

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I remember both Paddy McHugh and Michael Gilligan. I was at school with both thier daughters.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Anyone see the RTE weather report at seven? The presenter looked like she was in a biking outfit or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

danslevent wrote: »
    Anyone see the RTE weather report at seven? The presenter looked like she was in a biking outfit or something

Respect;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

danslevent wrote: »
    :)

112400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

What a great humanist Jean is!

• Advertisement

And now in white for the summer...
    jb2.jpg

jb.jpg

Volcanic upper levels, jeburs!

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

redsunset wrote: »
    A very young Jean Byrne in 1981

107211.JPG

Meteorologist Jean Byrne (1981)

She reminds me of a young Caroline Morahan........

274649_jpg_75538t.jpgcmorahan_178416t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Haha! I haven't gone on this in awhile. I have to say, I prefer the white version of the biker outfit, but the black does have a more biker feel to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

BTW what happened to "winking" weatheman Gerard Fleming and his colleague John Eagleton...haven't seen them doing the RTE TV weather forecast in many many months!

Have RTE replaced them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Big Tone wrote: »
    BTW what happened to "winking" weatheman Gerard Fleming and his colleague John Eagleton...haven't seen them doing the RTE TV weather forecast in many many months!

Have RTE replaced them?

Gerard is now Head of Forecasting in Met Éireann so you now only see him on TV when he's being interviewed on a big weather event.

The eagle has quit the TV work to spend more time on his meteorological work at Met Eireann.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Gerard is now Head of Forecasting in Met Éireann so you now only see him on TV when he's being interviewed on a big weather event.

The eagle has quit the TV work to spend more time on his meteorological work at Met Eireann.

Interesting, thanks for that Jerry, very rapid response too!

I thought both those guys were very good at presenting and knew their stuff, must be a daunting job though presenting the weather on RTE TV, bet they both dont miss it. But I feel some of the new crop are not so good, there's a couple of girls there who usually have scant and bare looking graphics....

Aidan Nulty is another guy who's been missing a lot from the TV screens, has Gerard replaced him in ME?

Gerry gave the forecast a few weeks ago - I think it was when the Tall Ships were in Waterford (he still lives in Wexford)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Big Tone wrote: »
    Interesting, thanks for that Jerry, very rapid response too!

I thought both those guys were very good at presenting and knew their stuff, must be a daunting job though presenting the weather on RTE TV, bet they both dont miss it. But I feel some of the new crop are not so good, there's a couple of girls there who usually have scant and bare looking graphics....

Aidan Nulty is another guy who's been missing a lot from the TV screens, has Gerard replaced him in ME?

Aidan Nulty retired, I think around December last year
    Gerald replaced him

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

Eagle was on Radio 1 17.57 forecast this evening in fine fettle....miss him dearly on the tele

Speaking of past presenters, Gerald Fleming was on the radio at few minutes ago. Talking about the history of Met Eireann.

He mentioned during the course of a very interesting interview that Paddy McHugh is still alive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

News report coming up on the 6 one news on the 75th Anniversary of Met Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jackanackanory

Vere Wynn Jones - another blast from the past. Fondly known as Very Windy Jones :)

Vere Wynn Jones - another blast from the past. Fondly known as Very Windy Jones :)

He died four or five year ago. He had a great voice for TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I never knew Vere Wynne Jones presented the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭dexter647

I never knew Vere Wynne Jones presented the weather.

Yea just a news reader as far as i was aware. Didn't realise he had passed either..Rip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Jackanackanory

I didn't know that either, RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭octo

News report coming up on the 6 one news on the 75th Anniversary of Met Eireann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

octo wrote: »

Two familiar faces from the past on the report there. John Doyle & Joan Blackburn!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Danno wrote: »
    Evelyn Cusack was the first, or Jean Byrne...?

Evelyn Murphy was the first female TV Broadcast Meteorologist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

piuswal wrote: »
    Evelyn Murphy was the first female TV Broadcast Meteorologist

Perhaps you should read the thread,this was confirmed on first page.:)

107134.JPG

Caption Meteorologist Evelyn Murphy (1983) Personalities/Groups Murphy, Evelyn
    Description Meteorologist Evelyn Murphy works on a weather chart in Met Éireann's headquarters in Glasnevin, Dublin, in June 1983. A still from this shoot was published in a very brief article in the RTÉ Guide of 17 June 1983. Evelyn Murphy was the first woman to forecast the weather on RTÉ Television.
    Met Éireann is the Irish National Meteorological Service. Collection RTÉ Guide Photographer Holmes, Eve Date of photograph 01/Jun/1983

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

octo wrote: »
    Of course we haven't a clue really
    :D an unfortunate way to end the report :)

Advertisement