Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

January 1987

Options
  • 12-01-2007 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

After listening to the "Eagle" saying that this sunday 14th will be spring like, its 20 years since the last real big prolonged freeze up and the second major coldsnap of the 80s.The weather turned very cold on this day,sourced from an easterly direction on the 11th with a developing LP out of the Med and a exported siberian HP parking itself over Scandinavia.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1987/Rrea00119870111.gif

This was the start of a week long cold wintry spell with bitter easterly winds as the pressure gradient was squeezed over both Ireland and the UK.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1987/Rrea00119870113.gif

The east of the UK was hit big time with persistent snow showers measuring over two feet flat in some places and drifts of higher.
    We got our fare share here.Below freezing temps day and night and continuous snow showers with a organised belt of snow around the 15th iirc.
    The sleeves of my duffle coat:o(with a big furry hood:D my mother made me wear it) was frozed solid and showers were intense at times with thunder snow.The school boilers had frozed and there was no school for nearly two weeks.I measured 7 inches of snow on the first snowfall and more accumulations during that memorable week.

Although not as extreme as 1982 it was however a significant event disrupting the country both in travel and infrastructure.It has been the last costly snow event in this country to date and no other snow events has any comparison to what went on in the 80s to date.

Any of you 20 year plus folk out there remember this event and if so any stories or pics.
    If any pics attach them please as some people are on dial up.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I remember it well, over a foot of level lying snow here in Laois. My uncle has a photo of it, will try and get a scan of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭colmranger

I remember it. On the Sunday the sky was very grey and it was spitting snow all day. At the same time that afternooon Liverpool were live on BBC prior to Sky tv and it was also spitting snow there all throughout the match.

Then later that evening the snow came from the east and i think it fell heavy for between 24 to 48 hours.

I was living in Kilcock at the time which is approx. 27 km inland from East Coast. (perhaps bit less as i can see the Pigeon House chimneys from front garden):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Desperate times aren't they - im talking about the present now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

I couldnt agree more WC.Even if we got a bit of snow or cold snap at that,there is no comparison to what we use to get in the 80s.I dont think that out atmosphere over here nowadays holds enough of the cold energy to reproduce such events or sustained events anymore.

But i like to be wrong on that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I dont think its possible to get a winter worse than this one for cold/snow lovers so far. I think ive only seen frost once since November.

• Advertisement

Winter 88/89 was worse.It was muched talked about as the total opposite of 87.

At least this Winter i broke the minus barrier and that was a December of all months.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Snowbie wrote:
    Winter 88/89 was worse.It was muched talked about as the total opposite of 87.

At least this Winter i broke the minus barrier and that was a December of all months.

Just looked up the stats for that winter on cso.ie and yep, that was a pretty crappy winter as well, forgot about that!
    Unfortunately I think we may beat even then, certainly the max temps have surely been beaten this winter.
    1988M12 1989M01 1989M02
    Casement
    Average Maximum Temperature (Degrees C) 10.1 9.9 9.3
    Average Minimum Temperature (Degrees C) 5.8 4.6 2.7
    Mean Temperature (Degrees C) 8.0 7.3 6.0
    Highest Temperature (Degrees C) 13.3 12.3 13.0
    Lowest Temperature (Degrees C) 0.7 -0.8 -3.0
    Dublin Airport
    Average Maximum Temperature (Degrees C) 10.5 10.5 9.8
    Average Minimum Temperature (Degrees C) 6.2 5.0 3.3
    Mean Temperature (Degrees C) 8.4 7.8 6.6
    Highest Temperature (Degrees C) 13.6 13.1 13.2
    Lowest Temperature (Degrees C) 1.0 0.4 -1.5

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

Despite being only 5-years-old at the time, I remember "The Big Snow of 1987" extremely vividly. In fact, it probably stands out as my very favourite childhood memory.

Late on the Saturday night (well, probably around 10 or 11pm - which is exceptionally late when you're only five), my parents excitedly woke me up to tell me that it was snowing outside. It was only light, but they told me that the place would be white in the morning.

You can imagine my disappointment when I woke up on the Sunday morning to find not one bit of snow on the ground (it's a feeling which I still experience to this day, as a result of reading the occasional ever-so-slightly optimistic forecast on this forum...). "Don't worry," my parents told me. "There's definitely snow forecast." Then, to add to my excitement, it started lashing hail on the way home from mass (ah, mass... like snow, another distant memory). Alas, It soon stopped, and apart from a couple of stray flakes in the afternoon, that was it for Sunday...

On the Monday morning, my mother woke me for school and told me to look out the window. The snow had finally arrived. It was like nothing I'd ever seen before or since. There were around two or three inches of snow lying on the ground, amid blizzard conditions. Visability was so bad that I couldn't see beyond the top of the garden. I remember standing in the kitchen with my mother, beside the Superser heater, looking out the back window, both in complete amazement. It snowed for what seemed like hours, and then it was sunny on the Tuesday, but far too cold to for a thaw. And then on either the Wednesday or Thursday, just when I thought it was all coming to an end, we had another huge blizzard.

All in all, it was an incredible, exciting week. At one point, the snow had drifted so high that the 4ft wall at the front of my garden was completely covered. My neighbour's rusty Datsun was stuck at the top of the road for three days. Even a council gritting truck managed to get stranded. My school was closed for over a week. There were threats of power-cuts, bread shortages, milk shortages, burst pipes. Not being fortunate enough to remember 1982, January 1987 was the starting point of my love-affair with snow. I haven't lost hope that some day, we might see a repeat of that kind of event.

snowing.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Remember it well. As a teenager I got up and walked to work in Tallaght in snow that was knee deep. In those days jobs were hard to come by and you went to work no matter what. There was blizzards and with wind chill it was down to -14 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

I don't remember it (14th being the day i was born) but been told many stories about it...

• Advertisement

I use to make a few bob 82 and 87 shoveling out the snow in neighbours gardens (remember the old green pound notes) and unfortunately 1987 was the last time i took a shovel to snow.20 years ago and its its sad really to think nowadays its far harder to replicate them days weatherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

This happened on my 13th bday, I lived in Co Monaghan at the time and the local lakes all froze up to the point where you could walk on them (although it NOT recommended).
    I vivdly recall myself and my mother going into town that night to get food from the new chinese restaurant and the car not being able to make it through the snow which was starting to drift at this stage and not a gritter in sight, so we got out and walked and then walked the 2 miles home...by that stage the first blizzard had died and the moon was out, all the fields and roads along the way home were glowing blue in the moonlight.
    No schol for almost two weeks that time :D, best bday preset ever.
    No pics unfortunately although I do have one of me standing beside one huge f*cker of a icicle coming off our flat roof in 82

I honestly don't think the country could cope these days if we had a prolonged cold snap like that here now....it'sd be fun finding out though lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Yep - I remember this one - a short but very sweet outbreak of blizzard conditions.

It lasted about three days, one of which was extraordinary in that the temperature didn't exceed -1C anywhere in Ireland from Valencia to Malin in a very strong NE airflow.

In Dublin the accumulated depth was about 10" on the coast.

A very severe but very fleeting episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Yep - I remember this one - a short but very sweet outbreak of blizzard conditions.

It lasted about three days, one of which was extraordinary in that the temperature didn't exceed -1C anywhere in Ireland from Valencia to Malin in a very strong NE airflow.

In Dublin the accumulated depth was about 10" on the coast.

A very severe but very fleeting episode.

U do know this tread is 5 years old :o

davidsr20 wrote: »
    U do know this tread is 5 years old :o

Of course - is there a time limit?

Does history expire at some sell-by date? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

It was interesting just now to read about folks reminisce about winters gone by and almost resign to the fact we'd never experience them again, little did they know they were about to encounter winters 09/10 and Dec 10 which would eclipse the 80s winters for longevity and temps (if not snow depths). Whatever happened to Snowbie btw? He was the first boards expert I used to rely on for predictions (albeit during snow drought winters!). He seemed to disappear when the white stuff returned to Ireland!

fyi, I think Boards frowns upon dragging up zombie threads as it discourages new topics/up to date discussions etc. (eg responding to or arguing a point someone made 5 years ago would be considered rather pointless etc). I think they have something about it in the Boards code of conduct.

ongarboy wrote: »
    I think they have something about it in the Boards code of conduct.

Ooops!

I thought they closed redundant threads :o

Must get around to reading that code.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

There's nothing wrong with bringing up an old thread, as long as what you're posting is relevant! January 1982 was a memorable event, and as there was already a thread on it, Wild Bill did the right thing in having a search first before starting another thread on it. It is duplicate threading that is discouraged.

Some threads are started on a particular event - eg. the snow forecast discussion thread two weeks ago, and that thread was closed after the event as there was nothing more to add.

Re January 1982, I remember it well. As a 6-year old living in north Co. Dublin, at 140 m, I can still remember climbing up the drifts along the ditches and not being far from touching the telegraph wires. My sister went out to the village for supplies but got disorientated in the whiteout and was lost for several hours. I remember they had to helicopter in supplies to nearby Oldtown. I wish my parents had taken some photos at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

'fraid I remember both too.
    In jan '87 the avoca river was frozen in arklow with snow lying on it.
    Even the dec 10 spell didn't do that!

As for 82-2 weeks off school and drifts up to the upstairs windows.
    No electricity either.The snow actually stuck to the wires and was a couple of inches thick on them so a lot of lines just snapped and those that didn't had tree's on them.
    The tractor here and car disappeared under the snow.

Ah yes memories.

For context though,in my lifetime for the longevity and severity of the spell and the depth at times,November/December 10 is actually number one for me even without 10ft high drifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I only have some vague memories of the 1987 snow, a snowman being built etc. Nothing really sticks out so maybe it wasn't that bad where I grew up or maybe I've just forgotten.
    I think 1982 was a lot more snowy there but I was only a bambino then so no chance of any memories. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Su Campu wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with bringing up an old thread, as long as what you're posting is relevant! January 1982 was a memorable event, and as there was already a thread on it, Wild Bill did the right thing in having a search first before starting another thread on it. It is duplicate threading that is discouraged.

Some threads are started on a particular event - eg. the snow forecast discussion thread two weeks ago, and that thread was closed after the event as there was nothing more to add.

QUOTE]

Oops, my mistake then. I think I've seen on other forums where Mods sternly lock threads when someone posts on ones that have been idle for a year or more.

I was 12 in 1987 and lived in Kerry so can't really recall any particular snowy event only that I know there was more snow during those years than the 90s.

ongarboy wrote: »

Oops, my mistake then. I think I've seen on other forums where Mods sternly lock threads when someone posts on ones that have been idle for a year or more.

No prob. :)

Actually this thread is about 1987 - there is a separate one about 1982 which seems to attract more traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

No prob. :)

Actually this thread is about 1987 - there is a separate one about 1982 which seems to attract more traffic.

Jayz why did I read 1982 in the title??!! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Su Campu wrote: »
    Jayz why did I read 1982 in the title??!! :rolleyes:
    Wishful thinking. You wished you were a 6 year old in 1987:D
    It's been fascinating reading this thread - it's almost been historical, especially the posts about the lack of work in the '80's, as if it could never happen after 2007.

I remember the snow of 1987 in Dundrum, very well. I can remember being woken up by thunder and the intense orange glow being reflected from the city streetlights. The sky was unbelievably low and as the snow fell, the increasing whitening of the ground reflected even more of the orange light. It was a weird atmosphere.

The snow flakes were unlike anything that fell in the past few years - dirty great big wet flakes - so wet, that you'd think they wouldn't stick at all but they fell so heavily that there was a foot of snow on the ground by morning.

Or was that 1982......

slowburner wrote: »
    Wishful thinking. You wished you were a 6 year old in 1987:D

I'd take being 6 in 1982 any day! :cool:

I can remember the snow in 1962/63 and being in a car that got stuck in Main St, Blessington.

I guess I could start a thread about Personal Memories of Winter 62/63 and have it all to meself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

I'd take being 6 in 1982 any day! :cool:

I can remember the snow in 1962/63 and being in a car that got stuck in Main St, Blessington.

I guess I could start a thread about Personal Memories of Winter 62/63 and have it all to meself ;)

Wow, that is amazing you can remember winter 62/63!

Would you regard this as the worst winter (or best, depending on your perspective!) that you have ever lived through?

D

derekon wrote: »
    Wow, that is amazing you can remember winter 62/63!

Would you regard this as the worst winter (or best, depending on your perspective!) that you have ever lived through?

D

Speaking only for the general GDA - for a single month nothing in my memory comes close to December last year - so you've seen the best of it! (I wasn't around in '47):)

78/79 was a good one; repeated snowy episodes from Dec to, yes, May! (Well, a few showers in May)

Then there was the school strike of February 1969 - three weeks off school that coincided with several days of snowfall followed by a big freeze.

Several more good periods in the 70s; the 80s we have tapped here - the 1990s and 2000s were seriously meh in terms of any prolonged cold.

Let's hope we are not back to meh again; I'd take the average winters of 75 to 87 over the next ten years and be thankful. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Speaking only for the general GDA - for a single month nothing in my memory comes close to December last year - so you've seen the best of it! (I wasn't around in '47):)

78/79 was a good one; repeated snowy episodes from Dec to, yes, May! (Well, a few showers in May)

Then there was the school strike of February 1969 - three weeks off school that coincided with several days of snowfall followed by a big freeze.

Several more good periods in the 70s; the 80s we have tapped here - the 1990s and 2000s were seriously meh in terms of any prolonged cold.

Let's hope we are not back to meh again; I'd take the average winters of 75 to 87 over the next ten years and be thankful. :D

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Hopefully, we will be adding January and February 2012 to the list of Big Freezes! :D

D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

January 1987 was actually a disappointment unlike 1982. A brilliant snowfall started to thaw immediately so it wasn't on the ground for long.
    This looks like a great chart but all it gave was anticyclonic gloom with temperatures above freezing even at night and the result was a lot of slush!

Rrea00119870116.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Here's an encouraging factoid -- temperatures were above 10 deg on 30 Dec 1986 just about twelve days before the eipic if short-lived cold and snow events of Jan 1987 erupted "out of the blue" -- check the charts for that date and see if you would be predicting such a turn from the pattern, realizing that there was no 10-16 day GFS in those days (I think, don't quote me on that, I'm sure there was no guidance past about 6 days in 1982).

I was looking back at daily CET data for various cold winters (cold Januaries to be more specific) and that was encouraging too. In some cases, of course, the severe cold had arrived by Christmas (of the previous year), for example before 1795, the coldest January on record, and at Christmas 1962 before the coldest modern January. But in several other cases there were days as warm as we're seeing this year (just passed and in the near future) in this same time frame. December 1819 stands out as the best example, before a January that ranks in the coldest ten, there were several days with readings in the 8-12 C range as we're seeing in this current pattern. The winter of 1837-38 has been running similar to date on both sides of the Atlantic and then continues to do so compared to my LRFs in each case.

The conclusion is that the current (seven-day rather than today) level of warmth is by no means a negative indicator for cold in January, although not a positive indicator either. The winter of 1986-87 in eastern North America started out rather mild and bland (similar to this winter, not quite as mild) and began to chill with a more active east coast storm track around the time of the European cold wave. I don't recall if there was a stratwarm in that interval or even what year they started to measure stratospheric warmings, would imagine the concept developed through the 1970s but don't remember the details. Another recent winter that showed a marked temperature drop in early to mid January was 1991 after a similar +AO event in Dec 1990.

So be encouraged by all of the above, if you want snow and cold.

Advertisement