Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Big Winds - Mild Christmas - Trouble Ahead

Options
  • 28-12-2011 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,101 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies I don't know how to predict the weather so don't really post here just read the threads but what I did notice was that our last mild Christmas was 1974, that was also the year that we got battered by serious winds. Is there any relation to that Christmas and they one were having now. Could it be a weather cycle in play which means were in for a very windy January or is it just a coincidence.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm going to go for coincidence. If there was a Weather Cycle of 30 odd years going around, I think it may have been noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I've seen a post or two exploring this very potential. It's not a thread on it's own so I'd never find it again.

But similar has been observed and maps that look identical have been posted and it's a watch for some folks here.

If it were to be a repeating event we probably don't have records going back far enough to solidify the [or a] pattern.

Weather cycles are routine and repetitive anyway, and given the drivers, the weather has the potential to be the same and predictable. It's not of course as precisely what happens next, depends on each ingredient in the mix.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Surely there is so many factors that affect weather, it would be impossible to do more than an educated guess on likelihood of upcoming weather. The idea that we can do this 30 years in advance seems more than a little far fetched.

Butterfly effect and all that. Volcanoes going off. Countries burning more fossil fuels. Trees being cut down.

Unless there was a constant with no change, I can't see it happening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement