Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Ciara - Strong Winds & Potential Snow **TECHNICAL DISCUSSION**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Monday is starting to look quite disruptive from snow. It really has upgraded over the last 24 hours particularly for the Southern half of the country. I see no reason why that front can't quickly turn to snow. The parameters for snow are just about ticked but then the heavy ppn should sway the matter. Amazing stuff really in its own right.....it's not every day we get snow from the southwest.....IF indeed it does happen. An orange warning for snow is not impossible and for once it's bypassing the media with the election and stuff going on!

Interesting alright especially given GL has not struck it down...yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭mobil 222

My cats went out yesterday morning ,stood together in the middle of the street and did not move for nearly 10 minutes. Very strange because there first port of call in the mornings is the bottom of the garden in search of any frozen little bird . They stood there then moved back to the steps into the garage and just stood there .Very unusual because to add to this the sound coming from the sea which is about 2km away was very loud.I think we are looking at very bad weather later and over the next few days. Its our own choice to take it serious or not but to everyone out there who will disagree just respect what we are been told because something i have learned over the years do not ever underestimate the power of wind .All it takes is a few seconds out of any day to bring grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The 00z models out so far have little new insight, waiting to see the ECM.

What intrigues me is that a very unusual 175 kt reading at 500 mb (90 kt at same location 700 mb) is indicated from Yarmouth NS at 00z. Winds have increased over NS to 80-120 km/hr in the past two hours. The centre of the low (already about 967 mbs) was near western Newfoundland at 04z.

Then bear in mind this quite strong cyclone is being swung around an even deeper 932 mb low west of Iceland. Given those upper level wind anomalies, I think we should be ready to process intensification signals in future model runs, perhaps the ECM will pick up on this potential with the 00z run due out in an hour or so.

The 175 kt reading was not flagged as suspect on the chart. To give some context, readings above 120 knots are unusual (at 500 mb). Also 90 kts at 700 mb is close to an extreme. So there is definitely a low level jet forming as the low about to become storm "Ciara" enters the western Atlantic.

Will be keeping a very close watch on developments as my intuition says this one could over-perform (there is also a massive energy peak on Feb 9th to phase with the storm approaching the Rockall marine zone).

It may well stay within the limits we have been discussing but be prepared for some chance of a red alert being required on this occasion. Would think the 12z model run will pick up any strong potential for upgrades.

Here's the ECM 700-hPa chart for 00Z showing even above 100 kts over New Foundland. This translates eastwards and brings the 90 kts close to Ireland tomorrow morning.

ecm0125_nat_r700_w700_uv700_gh700_gh700-1000_2020020800_000.png

ecm0125_nat_r700_w700_uv700_gh700_gh700-1000_2020020800_030.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

mobil 222 wrote: »
    My cats went out yesterday morning ,stood together in the middle of the street and did not move for nearly 10 minutes. Very strange because there first port of call in the mornings is the bottom of the garden in search of any frozen little bird . They stood there then moved back to the steps into the garage and just stood there .Very unusual because to add to this the sound coming from the sea which is about 2km away was very loud.I think we are looking at very bad weather later and over the next few days. Its our own choice to take it serious or not but to everyone out there who will disagree just respect what we are been told because something i have learned over the years do not ever underestimate the power of wind .All it takes is a few seconds out of any day to bring grief.

Excellent post and fascinating re the cats. Mine are erratic today as they were yesterday. The 3 rescues I took in 18 months ago were street cats and they are staying out now by choice. They have shelter in the sheds here. Clearly feel safer when with an open door and half a roof!.

I learned to respect the weather when in Orkney where fatalities happened if you did not, Same in the islands here. Easy to forget when you are enjoying the thrill, which is also very real and fine.

For me, no great thrill as we are well weathered out here. Well prepared and very respectful indeed. Aware that were I to be careless and need help it would endanger my neighbours and rescuers.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: New chat/non-technical discussion thread opened for Storm Ciara:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058052509

Can we (try and) keep this thread for technical discussion only....and....charts, maps, satellite pics, observations, data and forecasts.

Please post in the appropriate thread.

Moderators will move posts as they deem appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Just seen ventusky has some snow for the capital.
    And it looks like someone has finally given the city an appropriate name 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

To my surprise there is a light dusting of snow on the hills here in Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Snow will be the bigger disruptive influence rather than wind over the next few days.

Snow will be the bigger disruptive influence rather than wind over the next few days.

MT in his forecast seems to think only on high ground. GL reckons it’s on. Usually other way around!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Pangea wrote: »
    To my surprise there is a light dusting of snow on the hills here in Donegal

Tops of some of the Mayo mountains got a dusting overnight also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

Monday is starting to look quite disruptive from snow. It really has upgraded over the last 24 hours particularly for the Southern half of the country. I see no reason why that front can't quickly turn to snow. The parameters for snow are just about ticked but then the heavy ppn should sway the matter. Amazing stuff really in its own right.....it's not every day we get snow from the southwest.....IF indeed it does happen. An orange warning for snow is not impossible and for once it's bypassing the media with the election and stuff going on!

Is this feature only appearing on the Fax charts, if so then I'm not sure how reliable they are 3 days out

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

MT not confident of snow only higher ground.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

It's actually sunny in Galway this morning and I can see blue skies.
    I thought I wouldn't see any sun for the whole weekend. Small bit breezy and chilly.
    Oops wrong thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

MT in his forecast seems to think only on high ground. GL reckons it’s on. Usually other way around!

Spidey sense in me also atm says its on
    Fax dams suggest so but only barely
    You won't need to go too far inland or uphill unless your wind is off the sea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Rain cleared in North Kerry. Windy and voting steady !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭highdef

Deagol wrote: »
    In fairness, the lad who got the yellow card had it absolutely right.

Regular normal bad couple of wintery days in Ireland. A bit windy, a bit wet and a few wintry showers.

I have no idea why this forum seems to be full of people wishing for natural disasters that will cause misery for 'other' people rather than thanking whatever deity you chose for a quiet life.

I ,for one, am glad that as in 80% of the time your doom and gloom predictions of 180km/h gusts and 10cm+ of snow is comprehensively being shown to be complete and utter tosh based on GFS model nonsense. Why anyone who knows anything about weather even looks at the GFS I have no idea as it is 100% time wrong on anything over 24 hours.

I have to say, I'm pretty much in agreement. I said similar myself in the past few days that I was not expecting this storm to be anything particularly noteworthy - a pretty much regular winter storm albeit with longer longevity than usual. That in itself, combined with a fair drop of rain, may well cause a bit more damage especially when it comes to uprooting some trees. Regarding the GFS model, it started off forecasting this as a "mega" storm and it has gradually tapered off in it's prediction of mass destruction as T-0 has drawn ever nearer and is now looking like an ever so slightly stronger than normal winter storm with longevity being the unusual part.

Across all the main models I'm not seeing anything excessive. What I would agree with is that many inland and eastern parts (where strong winds are not regularly experienced) are likely to have gusts around the 100 km/h mark or a little above for parts of tomorrow, particularly the first half of daytime hours. This in itself does lend itself an element of caution as Sundays are a time when a lot of people are out and about......Sunday walks, mass goers, local football matches, etc.

Snow wise, I'm just not seeing the levels of snow being predicted here, for the vast majority of the populations. High ground is pretty much a dead cert. I'd imagine areas above 200/300m will likely do quite well, especially in northern and western areas and also in the southern half/third of the country later on during Monday (still subject to change). It will be cold, yes, but meaningful/disruptive depths of snow look to be mainly in the areas just mentioned. Even if that more prolonged and heavier area of precipitation passes across (the southern half of) the country during Monday, I can envisage most populated (ie: low-lying) parts to experience a wintry mix of rain, sleet and wet snow with a fairly strong breeze. I can also expect reports coming in from many low-lying parts away from the north and west saying that the snow is not sticking or it's only sticking on cars and grass and roads are just wet.....that kind of thing.

Having said this, I love a good fall of snow and if I'm wrong on the above, I'll be delighted but my gut feeling an analysis of the charts sways me on the side of no meaningful snow for most people. Fingers crossed I'm wrong.

Finally, as is the usually the case with GFS and as touched on earlier in this post, Ciara was initially going to be a disastrous storm and as is often the case, it has backed down to near normal levels of intensity so in true form it is currently showing a fairly powerful storm for next Friday and for Tuesday 18th it is showing an extremely powerful storm with winds gusting in or around 150 km/h in inland parts including the south and east, Dublin etc, during daytime hours. Maybe it will happen and some day it will but I could bet a fair wad of cash that it will be tamed down a huge amount, at the very least. The 06z run is rolling out now and I would be surprised if that is not completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭highdef

the disastrous storm was a totally different system that was forecast for this coming tuesday,which vanished of the charts numbers of days ago, ciara is a totally different system which that other plonker lumped together with ciara.

OK, fair point and point taken. Apart from that, my thoughts still stand regarding the impacts of this weekends events (I really do want a good snowfall though :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Clouds starting to drift into cork city now, moving fast too so the rain is en route. Was a lovely morning with blue skies though. Looking at the charts, I believe the ARPEGE could end up being the winner today with the gusts etc that it's showing. Tomorrow will be even more interesting to see which is the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Calm if a bit cold in east Galway so far.
    Wind was whipping earlier last night before settling.all signs here that the wind will rise later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

If this morning's ECM is to go by, rainfall amounts could be just a big an issue as the wind over the next 24 to 36 hours.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

rSTqMa0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,059 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Gusts up to 65 knots forecast at Shannon tomorrow morning. 60 knots at Knock. Wild enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Gusts up to 65 knots forecast at Shannon tomorrow morning. 60 knots at Knock. Wild enough!

65kts is 120kph. That’s in Orange alert territory according to Met Eireanns criteria (between 110 and 130kph)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

A squall line developing West to East later today so 60 knots within that not out of the question. Around 1pm to 3pm I'd say

Barely any rain fell in Sligo since thunder last night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,690 ✭✭✭endainoz

Akrasia wrote: »
    65kts is 120kph. That’s in Orange alert territory according to Met Eireanns criteria (between 110 and 130kph)

Clare will probably get upgraded to an orange for tomorrow. Will just have to wait and see when Met Eireann update them later on today I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

pauldry wrote: »
    A squall line developing West to East later today so 60 knots within that not out of the question. Around 1pm to 3pm I'd say

Barely any rain fell in Sligo since thunder last night

Maybe that is what just hit out here .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Nationwide orange now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Entire country gone orange for tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Nationwide orange now!!!

Just about to post it! Damn you! :-P

• Advertisement

Is this orange an upgrade or as expected? MT mentioned he felt this system might be stronger than anticipated.

Advertisement