Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-01-2019, 12:30   #46
button_smith

it's east Offaly, it is minus 1.1 c, there is mid to high level cloud all over the sky,but seeing the mucky orange ball off into the east coming into obscure focus was....Brill' It was indeed well worth the cold and i hope i'm still around for the next one.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-01-2019, 13:12   #47
hatrickpatrick

The clouds must have been very localised and intermittent, we were able to see a lot of the early part in Dun Laoghaire before the clouds rolled in but others in Dublin are saying they saw basically nothing at all. Got to see it during the red / totality phase which is the important thing! Only thing I'd have liked to have seen was the few minutes where it acutely transitions from its normal colour to red, and the reverse at the other end of the eclipse - as it happened, both of these parts were clouded. What that did mean was that we saw it in red, then it clouded over for 20 minutes or so, and then when the clouds rolled away it had gone back to white with a big chunk missing Would have been cool to get a video of that, but as most here will know getting decent night sky photos with a phone camera is a complete waste of time.
21-01-2019, 13:20   #48
SmartinMartin

Went down to Dollymount at 4.15, fantastic clear view of the eclipse and a beautiful red moon until 5, then all disappeared in cloud. Didn't even get a decent photo as my camera set up didn't work.
****e phone pic. Could have been so much better!

post image

Last edited by SmartinMartin; 21-01-2019 at 13:24.
(2) thanks from:
21-01-2019, 13:44   #49
hatrickpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartinMartin View Post
Went down to Dollymount at 4.15, fantastic clear view of the eclipse and a beautiful red moon until 5, then all disappeared in cloud.
How long did the colour transition at either end of the totality period actually take? In Dun Laoghaire, cloud cover just happened to coincide with both ends of the totality, so we had white moon -> cloud cover -> red moon -> cloud cover -> white moon again. It was pretty much entirely obscured during the transitions. Was it an abrupt thing like with a solar eclipse, where it's like "sun disappearing, sun disappearing, *BOOM!* corona flares, *BOOM* sun reapparing" or was the colour change more subtle and spaced out?
21-01-2019, 15:27   #50
SmartinMartin

It was clear to full eclipse. It went clear moon, gradual very obvious eclipse, at full eclipse the bottom third and left side were red. A man beside me got incredibly detailed close up photos with a 200mm lens. Then the clouds turned up.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-01-2019, 18:25   #51
Rikand

I woke at 5am and said I'd just give myself a minute more to rest in bed before getting up.

I woke at 6:45
(2) thanks from:
21-01-2019, 20:19   #52
pauldry

This is all I saw.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_20190121-115014.png (291.3 KB, 101 views)
21-01-2019, 20:49   #53
Cork Boy 53

I got up at 5am to watch the eclipse. I could definitely see the reddish blood moon but it was rather hazy, whether this was due to it being somewhat obscured by high cloud/mist or my eyesight deteriorating I`m not sure.
22-01-2019, 13:27   #54
jArgHA

Send a message via MSN to jArgHA Send a message via Yahoo to jArgHA Send a message via Skype™ to jArgHA
There is a lovely widefield video of the eclipse that I came across here:
https://vimeo.com/312478122

It is widefield so does not show the lunar disk in detail, but instead shows how dark the sky becomes during totality - when the stars pop out from the night sky, back to when the moon comes out of totality and 'washes out' the sky with its light (and when the stars become much harder to discern again).

Last edited by jArgHA; 22-01-2019 at 13:27. Reason: typo

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion