Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A Missing Murder

• 31-10-2017 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I've gotten interested in researching family history and I've been interviewing family to get their stories of growing up in Dublin.

One of my aunts spoke to me about a family who were distantly related to us, where one of the daughters was murdered.

The family were named Daly and ran a guesthouse near Pearse Station in the Pearse Street/Spring Garden Lane area. The boat train came into Westland Row at the time and the guesthouse took in overflow from a hotel in the area.

The daughters name was Rita (though this may have been a shortening of some other name) and she was stabbed to death by a sailor off the boat train.

My aunt was born in the late 30s so this probably happened in the 40s/early 50s.
    In spite of the fact there weren't that many murders in Ireland at the time I can't find one where the details match.

I've tried googling the details and checking some archives but I can't find anything and I'm wondering if anyone recognizes the crime and can give me more solid information to continue researching.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Have you tried newspapers? www.irishnewsarchive.com would have a good range of papers covering that timeframe.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

The daughters name was Rita (though this may have been a shortening of some other name) and she was stabbed to death by a sailor off the boat train.

Rita is usually short for Margaret.

In spite of the fact there weren't that many murders in Ireland at the time I can't find one where the details match.

Statistics show a low number of murders in the 1950s, but they do not include deaths where the perpetrator is convicted of manslaughter or found not guilty by reason of insanity.

Oral history is notoriously unreliable, over time, a word is added or lost, totally changing the story which is remembered by the next person. The actual event could be that Rita's friend/acquaintance could have been almost murdered by someone who was thought to be a sailor.

The truth when you ascertain it, should always be more satisfying than a rumour, so enjoy the search.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

It wouldn't be Robert Stevenson who was sentenced to death in 1954? He was a Scottish Seaman who was less than 12 hours in Dublin when the murder occured. http://www.somervillepress.com/sentence.html

Advertisement