Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trends that are no more

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Talking of emos, are "moshers" still a thing anymore? When I was a younger fella I seem to remember teenagers dressed in black, wearing band t shirts, everywhere, now they seem rare enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

Umbro jumpers with the half zips

Fancy paper. Used to swap it in the school yard.

Flared jeans (I wish they'd come back into fashion)

Tear-away or rip-off tracksuit pants with the buttons all the way down the sides

Record bags as school bags or college backs etc.

Going around with your walkman/diskman

Glitter spray on nights out

Wearing Ellesse clothing and/or Fila clothing, although it was usually only the scobes who wore Fila

Tommy Hilfiger jumpers with the USA flags emblazoned across the front

Boob tube tops and dresses

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Big long bushy beards on young lads...thankfully seems to be very much on the way out.

Key chains attached to trousers.

The backcombed hairstyle on young girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Aw man. Miss Sixty and Susst jeans, do they still exist even?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

There's a full on, full grown emo lad around Cork. In his mid/late 30s I'd say.

Snake bite piercing, flat-ironed hair, asymmetric fringe, guy liner, super skinny jet black jeans, the whooooole 9 yards. I've overheard him in conversation and he seems fairly normal. I respect the commitment.

You sure he's an Emo? Could just be studying/working at the Crawford. Asymmetric hair is compulsory there, I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,140 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Wearing Ellesse clothing and/or Fila clothing, although it was usually only the scobes who wore Fila

Isn't Ellesse back in now? I'm amazed at how expensive it is!

Arghus wrote: »
    Talking of emos, are "moshers" still a thing anymore? When I was a younger fella I seem to remember teenagers dressed in black, wearing band t shirts, everywhere, now they seem rare enough.

They're still around. Just not teenagers anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Aw man. Miss Sixty and Susst jeans, do they still exist even?

I had a pair of Miss Sixty. They made lovely jeans. Don't know if they still exist.

A shop called Hairy Legs on Liffey Street in town use to sell all the Susst stuff in the late 90s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Sardonicat wrote: »
    You sure he's an Emo? Could just be studying/working at the Crawford. Asymmetric hair is compulsory there, I believe.

Yeah but the flat ironed hair, piercing, clothes etc. remove all doubt :p he looks like someone who'd have been in a lot of MySpace top 8s in the mid 2000s, y'know.

Also you're allowed symmetrical hair in the Crawford as long as it's closely cropped if you're a girl or very very very long if you're a boy!

Yeah but the flat ironed hair, piercing, clothes etc. remove all doubt :p he looks like someone who'd have been in a lot of MySpace top 8s in the mid 2000s, y'know.

Also you're allowed symmetrical hair in the Crawford as long as it's closely cropped if you're a girl or very very very long if you're a boy!

Oh, they've relaxed the rules in the ten years since I gauged how close to home my bus was by the unevenness of the hairstyles out the window, I see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Men in suits flanked by obligatory eye candy girlies in bikinis standing in the street holding some sign or other for promotional newspaper shots.
    Sign in question could be anything from a charity lotto to a road safety campaign.
    Very tigery/2000s.
    Appropriate was just not a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Collecting fancy pages and scented erasers or smelly rubbers as we called them.
    Rats tails, hair cut short with one long piece hanging down the back. A load of us had them in the 80s, I thought I was so cool.
    Luminous coloured socks and t shirts.
    Armfuls of rubber bangles.
    Yoyo tricks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Fancy paper. All the rage in primary school and the scented ones were the best.

Clark's magic Princess shoes. I was gutted when my mother wouldn't buy them for my communion :(

Plastic collectables in cereal boxes. I remember there was one that you put on the wheel of your bike that made a stupid sound when you cycled. Was considered cool back then.

MP3 players. I knew one guy who replaced his CD collection with these and lived to regret it.

MySpace, Bebo.

Tammy! wrote: »
    Does anyone remember Friendship Burns?

Youd hold one of your fingers out and your friend would hold it and rub it with their thumb until it was red raw. Then you'd get a sore and the scar it left was a mark of the friendship :/ ��
    No. But I do remember Friendship Bracelets made out of knotted embroidery thread were all the rage for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    No. But I do remember Friendship Bracelets made out of knotted embroidery thread were all the rage for a while.

That seems to be back in my 7 year old's class, she has 2 balls of wool in her bag and they make bracelets on their lunch break. Nice to see :)

Rubberlegs wrote: »
    That seems to be back in my 7 year old's class, she has 2 balls of wool in her bag and they make bracelets on their lunch break. Nice to see :)
    I'll never forget the post on another thread about the group of mothers to be who all have friendship bracelets and take them out when the mother goes into labour. That's next level evolution!

When I was a young teen I was fond of the whole tartan tights under frayed denim shorts, docs, blazer and trilby type outfits. I cringe at the photos.

When I was a kid I collected Pogs, Mini Boglins and Monsters In My Pockets, and those things with the glass beads you made into bracelets. Can't remember what they were called but they were very important to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,865 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Wassuuuuuuup

A few decades before this we had "its for yoohoo!" everytime a phone rang. From a BT TV ad if memory serves but it was everywhere. Phone ringing in a movie in the cinema & someone from the audience shouts "its for yoohoo!"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Hiccups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Nobody calls them “discos” any more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I had a centre parting in the mid-90s. Spent an extraordinary amount of time on it every day, getting it just right. Spent the rest of the time avoiding gusts of wind. My brother used to refer to it as a 'dick rest'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Playboy branded everything was everywhere for a few years.
    Toe rings existed for a while :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

German Parka jackets.
    Doc-martin boots with 10/12/14+ lace holes per side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

The mullet hairstyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Wassuuuuuuup

Who remembers this bad boy? Every sap was saying it.... you probably were too. Pogs, planking and other preposterous fads took over, didn’t they? What other trends of the last couple of decades have disappeared into the abyss of obscurity?

I'm glad to say that I left Ireland before it took off here, and when I arrived in America it had already stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The mullet hairstyle.

Beards took its place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Bootcut jeans.

Although a, large, no pun intended, cohort of “men” in their 30s and early 40s won’t let it die.

The tide is turning…

Candie wrote: »
    When I was a young teen I was fond of the whole tartan tights under frayed denim shorts, docs, blazer and trilby type outfits. I cringe at the photos.
    You're not alone in feeling the cringe. I had a purple shell suit that I practically lived in :o I look back at the photos now and think "wtf was I thinking?" but in fairness, I look happy in the pictures, oblivious to my shame :D At least I was too young to have had one of those awful mullet hairstyles :pac:

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    You're not alone in feeling the cringe. I had a purple shell suit that I practically lived in :o I look back at the photos now and think "wtf was I thinking?" but in fairness, I look happy in the pictures, oblivious to my shame :D At least I was too young to have had one of those awful mullet hairstyles :pac:

I saw a girl of about 18 walking around a shopping centre with sort of clear plastic shorts on and some cycle type shorts on underneath. She has no idea how retrospectively shamed she's going to feel when she looks back on any photos when she's 30. Not that she's ever going to be 30.

Clear plastic shorts. At least we never went there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Scutting on lurries

Advertisement