Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The perfect sandwich

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭EllieB

Irish pride multi-grain bread, Clonakilty sausages, fried egg, kilmeaden extra mature white cheddar and ballymaloe relish.... heavenly!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

sugarman wrote: »
    It used to be, like everything its absolute muck the last few years.
    Whatever you do, don't toast it... gives off a rotten smell.
    sugarman wrote: »
    Its not the toaster, its the same under the grill ..and every other brand / type of bread is fine other than Brennans white bread.Its a horrible sweet cheesy smell that lingers.
    I used to love it, but its gone to dirt. Much like Cadburys, Kelloggs and most other popular brands in recent years.

Nearly all processed breads are now made with ever increasing amounts of soya and palm oil. And the soya is where the distinctive smell comes from imo.

Ingredients brennan's white pan
    Wheat Flour (Wheat, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Thiamin, Niacin), Water, Yeast, Salt, Vegetable Oil (Rapeseed), Soya Flour, Emulsifier: E472e, Flour Treatment Agent: Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Vegetable Fat (Palm)

https://m.tesco.ie/mt/www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/details/?id=250330059

Same with a lot of other processed foods ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Ham sandwiches are lovely but you need a light smearing of brown sauce on it. Not that HP ****e, chef brown sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I got some very nice brioche burger buns in Aldi's the other day (Tesco's and Lidl's probably have similar, I don't know). Lovely with a package of King crips and a tick layer of butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

cjmc wrote: »
    Ham sandwiches are lovely but you need a light smearing of brown sauce on it. Not that HP ****e, chef brown sauce.

YR or GTFO, tb absolutely h with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Got really into BLTs lately. Was never much of a fan before due to the number of sh1tty shop bought ones I'd had, but made one myself the other day which was gorgeous. Nice thick white bread, decent bacon, tiny bit of mayo....it was amazing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

Whole Mogerleys Steak and Kidney Pie, Mashed into said Fresh Brennans Batch bread, topping of grated cheese and a steaming cup of coffee does it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Wtf ? wrote: »
    Whole Mogerleys Steak and Kidney Pie, Mashed into said Fresh Brennans Batch bread, topping of grated cheese and a steaming cup of coffee does it for me
    :eek:

Apt username is apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

AulWan wrote: »
    Fresh brennans white bread,

That can be a bit of a problem. Brennans - Yesterdays bread tomorrow.

Always, always make sure you muck up the Brennans display as much as you possibly can, as they try and con you by constantly putting their stale bread, that has a 1 or 2 day expiry date at the front of the shelf, rather than the fresh stuff hidden away at the very back, which has a 6 day shelf life left.

Also buying it on a Sunday or Monday means that you're guaranteed to be getting stale bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Got really into BLTs lately. Was never much of a fan before due to the number of sh1tty shop bought ones I'd had, but made one myself the other day which was gorgeous. Nice thick white bread, decent bacon, tiny bit of mayo....it was amazing.
    With BLTs though, the lack of cheese troubles me.

So like the rebel that I am, I have a BLTC.

• Advertisement

Breakfast roll from a place called lunch on Lombard street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

cjmc wrote: »
    I'll get shouted down for this , but had one today, and had forgotten how fcuking good they are.
    Egg and onion. Cannot be beat .

After a hard morning footing turf .

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

Salty and hot roasted chicken pieces, cheese, thinly sliced onion, real butter, garlic mayo and lumpy / moist stuffing, (potentially sausage stuffing).
    Not too fussed about the bread once it's not (a) too floury or (b) too thick or crispy to eat comfortably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Where can you buy fake butter?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

Pheonix10 wrote: »

Generally in tubs called something like LowLow, Flora, or I can't believe it's not butter....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Freshest of white bread. Good ham, cheese and real butter.

Next best is chicken and stuffing.

I also really like french baguette cream cheese and something like seranno or prosciutto ham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭PinotNero

Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Hmmm, difficult

OK

Open sandwich on turnover bread, real butter, proper ham from the butchers, bit of cheddar, few scallions, some coleslaw, package a king emptied on to the plate next to sambo

That'll do

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Nothing, just bread, it's a treat in itself, all you posh folk with fillings

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Plus they still use those horrendous Auld Mr Brennan ads to sell their shït bread.

horrendous says he, fantastic says aye, since i was a whipper snapper says he.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

thick cut white bread
    1 or 2 potato waffle's (grilled or toasted - should be crispy)
    Real Butter
    Maple bacon x 3
    Cheese (Melted or non-melted)
    sauce is optional - I find the melted butter is more than enough

Mug of tea and a quick 20 min snooze after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Tuna mixed with mayo and sweetcorn, topped with coleslaw, on multigrain bread is another good sandwich.

Or there is a very nice sandwich I indulge in occasionally from a certain shop - chargrilled chicken with lemon & basil mayo, roasted tomatoes & rocket on ciabatta. It's delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Christmas dinner leftover sambo - put whatever you want in it - mayo, turkey, ham, cranberry, gravy, mash, veg - even the sauteed sprouts!! But fresh baked home made bread, you know, the kind with 4 or 5 ingredients only. Best sandwich in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,549 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Can't agree with people who go for the softest bread.

If the sandwich requires any kind of grip at all, you need something with a bit of body and spring, not something that sinks under the pressure and becomes a thin doughy strip.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Brown Bread.
    Egg Mayonaise.
    Keoghs Cheese and Onion Crisps.

Heaven!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

I have so many...

Red cheddar cheese, thinly sliced tomato & onion, with a little salad cream.

Prawn cocktail.

Ham with nothing else whatsoever.

All on white bread.

At my daughter's suggestion I recently tried pepperoni with cheese and tomato, and some mayonnaise. Very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Pheonix10 wrote: »

Delis seem to only use fake butter that tastes like chemical sludge.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Brennan's bread. One bag of King Crisps. An inch of butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Sriracha is an odd thing to add, personally I would leave it out. Just my opinion :/

I could have an opinion on this if I knew what it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

You can't go wrong with a nice BLT. Fresh bread, lashings of mayo, fresh lettuce and tomato and some nicely grilled bacon.

Advertisement