Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What a let down

Options

Comments

daedal wrote: »
    Sometimes it feels like living here is punishment for something you didn't do, i don't think there are many redeeming qualities for this country. Good weather is the only thing people can look forward to and when you don't get that, the country presents as a miserable cesspit of high rent, greed and rain.

In all fairness, planning camping trips in Ireland around the weather is just looking for opportunities to complain. Get the right gear, go out for the day. Book a hostel instead of a campsite. And if you're talking about wild-camping, the weather shouldn't be holding you back at all either.

Some people like to blame the weather when they're actually the only ones creating the misery for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭pauldry

I live in Sligo too and Id say this is a 100 per cent normal Summer here. Some rain some warmth some mist and some showers. Though August continues the poor theme of recent years bar some days at the very start.

The old May June and July Summer of school books is an accurate reflection. August is Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭alentejo

Note - The low pressures seem to be very slow moving - hence the bad weather is amplified a little. This up coming weekend would have a low pressure arrive on Friday and and clear Ireland until Monday, hence you have 4 days of ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

boetstark wrote: »
    I know we have very variable weather in Ireland but I am amazed that the summer was so different in your locality .
    Here in the midwest summer 2019 has been despicable. Plants rotting in pots green areas muddy and numerous outdoor activities cancelled. So disappointed

Tramore.

It wasnt a good summer. It started with a cool spring and only got slowly better - never good mind you - but in the end it wasnt the worst. Grass was brown even up to before last weekend. A good few golf-in-shorts days and a couple of swims even.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

Sometimes it feels like living here is punishment for something you didn't do, i don't think there are many redeeming qualities for this country. Good weather is the only thing people can look forward to and when you don't get that, the country presents as a miserable cesspit of high rent, greed and rain.

leave so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭daedal

leave so

Yea you are part of the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

mean gene wrote: »
    well ya if your up in dublin maybe but if your in cork kerry galway etc its been brutal

You mean, other places (than Kerry) had sunshine?
    I want to move back to those other places.
    On the good side, my garden needed the rain...but not the wind and storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭jc11

Just got back from Spain where it was ROASTING, was delighted to get back to good oul Irish weather!!

Kids were dancing in the rain getting off the plane lol, love a bit of sunshine but couldn't handle the heat in Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭jc11

Just got back from Spain where it was ROASTING, was delighted to get back to good oul Irish weather!!

Kids were dancing in the rain getting off the plane lol, love a bit of sunshine but couldn't handle the heat in Spain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I'm delighted to see the rain, the river's are topped up at the right side of the summer.
    The seatrout and salmon get to run up the river's and hopefully in a day or two the colour of the water will clear up a bit....
    Happy day's

• Advertisement

Hardly. It's Ireland. The weather will be whatever it will be. Nobody comes to Ireland for the weather. You know this.

So don't be moaning about it. It won't accomplish anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I camp a lot & don't mind the rain while camping. My only issue is trying to dry out a wet tent. We only managed 3 trips this Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

I would have been more resentful of the bad summer weather when the kids were small. It's really hard trying to do a few nice things that aren't a washout . Going for a day out to the beach where the wind would cut you in two halves! Poor weather also meant having to take kids to indoor attractions which wasn't always affordable. You're trying to clock up some good days out with the long evenings.
    Now that they are teenagers they don't want to be seen with me anyway. So I bought myself a nice sun lounger and if there was any bit of sunshine I'd go out the back with my book. Not too much of it this year though. A cool spring and may. No traditional leaving cert fine June weather. Mainly Dry with some nice sunshine in July. August not great really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Agree, not a great summer last year was better. Not cold or anything this summer but just plenty of damp dull days. August not off to a great start either. Very autumn feel to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NCS

Surprising to hear this... I've been in the south coast of Wales for 11 days in August - roughly the same latitude as Wexford and not all that far east - and bar the day immediately preceding the windstorm, there have been only brief showers and mostly either broken cloud or outright blue skies for the most part of each day, particularly mornings and evenings. Proper sunburn territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

I actually enjoyed this summer far more than last year.

The cooler temperatures meant I slept better and far less bad humour days.

Less BBQ's and less alcohol consumption. Too many BBQ's last year. Still trying to lose the weight I put on last year.

I am also studying and I can't study in the heat so the cooler weather kept my focus on my work.

Finally it's far compensation for the lack of cold weather last winter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

everyone and everything is part of the problem bar you .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's hard to be too positive with a morning like this morning and a forecast for the weekend like the one I just saw..

This time of year is peak warmth for the majority of Europe.

Even after all these years you'd think you'd get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Thought it was a really nice summer overall but I’m not a fan of extremely warm temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Summer in Ireland. Just gotta suck it up. No such thing as bad weather, just the wrong gear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

We had a lovely summer here in south Dublin, plenty of days in the garden , grandkids enjoyed good days in the pool here .nice pleasant days in the park with kids . Some lovely sunny days , some days a bit more cloudy but overall not bad at all .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It sounds like you think last summer's scorch-a-thon is the norm, not the freak event that it was. We're going through a bit of a **** spell just now but it hasn't been the worst summer we've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    We had a lovely summer here in south Dublin, plenty of days in the garden , grandkids enjoyed good days in the pool here .nice pleasant days in the park with kids . Some lovely sunny days , some days a bit more cloudy but overall not bad at all .

Twas grand during July - most days were fine but it's crazy how much of an annual disappointment August is..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I love the Irish weather. No extremes of anything. I would hate to live in a Mediterranean climate. Not everyone has the same opinion of what "bad", "poor", "terrible" weather is. It's all subjective.

I'd much rather a misty day to a day of 26C sun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

By no stretch was this summer bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

So many planned days out and camping trips cancelled this year because of the ****e weather. I patiently wait through the misery of an Irish winter and spring for a decent summer (based on last years good fortune). But this year NOTHING, i could count the days of sunshine on my hands. What a ****ing let down. I think there should be a grant awarded to those who pay tax in this **** hole that if there is less than 20 days of sunshine during the summer months they will be awarded €500 to go on a holiday to make up for it.

We got about 7 camping weekends and the weather was good for them all. This weekend looks like it could be our worst weekend but still not too bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I blame the weather forecasters for telling us about the bad weather.

We wouldn't realise how bad it was if they stayed quiet :)

We wouldn't know England got a heat wave and us rain if nothing had been said.

I was glad of the heat and rain.my garden did well.

Give over. We live next to an imposing ocean; one of the commonalities of a maritime climate is an abundance of rainfall.

Utter tripe. Go due south 400 miles and the Atlantic coast of France has FAR better weather than here. This is like what they used to teach us in geography in the 80s "Ireland is an economy on the periphery of Europe with no natural resources thats why we are poor." They never mentioned Japan.

The fact this summer is touted as OK shows how ****e the weather actually is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

A great man once said; there's no such thing as bad weather just the wrong clothes!

That said, it's been a bit wet but I though it was on a par with any typical Irish summer really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

Dreadful 'summer' weather in Leitrim. And then along comes August! Deary me.

Advertisement