Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Female Fury - Watch out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Wow! Cryogenics works

Someone defrosted Freud and now he's a Boardsie!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

meeeeh wrote: »
    Because the rest of the post was about women in general and full of similar nonsense. Since I count myself as one the women that was fairly logical conclusion to make.

Illogical from a not so logical poster, but you're entitled to post your superficial ideas.

So you're cherry picking anyone's post in order to get a hostile observation.

I suppose some people like instant more like it more roasted, and some like it sweet others like it mild...

I hear you, I'd say you're great conversation over a coffee lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Why should men be an emotional punching bag? Like, lads, if a woman is shouting at you or getting aggresive, imagine your a woman and think how a woman would react if another woman shouted at her :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Is there something wrong with you

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

nthclare wrote: »
    Illogical from a not so logical poster, but you're entitled to post your superficial ideas.

So you're cherry picking anyone's post in order to get a hostile observation.

I suppose some people like instant more like it more roasted, and some like it sweet others like it mild...

I hear you, I'd say you're great conversation over a coffee lol

I see you've been going through my post history. Interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭Allinall

After last couple of pages..... thread title checks out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Jmsg wrote: »
    It's a cultural disease emanating from the postmodern "individualistic" societies in which gender roles have been abolished and the sexes are viewed as totally interchangable. This results in women becoming possessed by their masculine side and men their feminine. They're then unable to process their emotions and become highly neurotic.

My masculine side would enjoy shoving your archaic notions where the sun don't shine for you.
    The only thing worse than the patriarchy is the woman who enables and supports the patriarchy in their submission of women.

How do I know this? My 19 year old niece said this to me when I told her she should get a job before she forms an opinion on women v men in the workplace.

She's not wrong in what she said, and she doesn't need to get a job to form opinions. Opinions can be formed from the experiences of others.
    One vote per household meant men as it's head would always vote in the interests of his family which included his wife. If a woman was married then she no longer had a need to work. Remember this was at a time where work was to secure subsistence.

Ah yes, the good old days when the wife would have to waylay her husband before he got to the pub and coax some money from him for the rent and food before he drank it all. Or else she'd send the children to stand at the pub door to importune other patrons to send out their father. A lovely secure existence for all concerned.
    The feminist narrative was at least heavily implied; that women were collectively oppressed historically by being relegated to a subservient role to men and that it is the injustice of this which has built up anger in women throughout the generations. But this can't be the case as women were far calmer and composed in former eras. The neurosis of today's women is due to their rebellion against their reproductive roles. They have only fought to be "liberated" to go and live as male egos because of a delusional perception of what this actually entails and they're now totally misfitted.

Those calmer and composed women of bygone eras were self-medicating with laudanum and in more recent years were taking Valium, Librium and Xanax and the tablets that went before those in order to maintain their calmness so they wouldn't run the risk of being incarcerated in mental asylums for hysteria and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Jmsg

Ah yes, the good old days when the wife would have to waylay her husband before he got to the pub and coax some money from him for the rent and food before he drank it all. Or else she'd send the children to stand at the pub door to importune other patrons to send out their father. A lovely secure existence for all concerned.

Those calmer and composed women of bygone eras were self-medicating with laudanum and in more recent years were taking Valium, Librium and Xanax and the tablets that went before those in order to maintain their calmness so they wouldn't run the risk of being incarcerated in mental asylums for hysteria and the like.

You must tumbled in here from tumblr with that level of tripe.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I see you've been going through my post history. Interesting.

Not really interesting to be honest.
    I was just trying to see how you respond to others posts and my conclusive interpretation was precise.

Just another bored poster who likes winding people up and throwing a spanner in the works.

Sure we're all capable of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

nthclare wrote: »
    Not really interesting to be honest.
    I was just trying to see how you respond to others posts and my conclusive interpretation was precise.

Well it's always nice to see I'm right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

These threads always start out giving out about women giving out and inevitably turns into a load of men giving out.

Which sex is really giving out, heh? Heh?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,474 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

These threads always start out giving out about women giving out and inevitably turns into a load of men giving out.

Women always give out, but they never give in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

I’m more interested in which sex is putting out.

You must tumbled in here from tumblr with that level of tripe.

You think! :D You're crediting me with far too much intelligence.

You're yet another one of those new reg clones, that have been infesting boards for the last couple of years, with an obvious agenda. The cheap and nasty propaganda arm of the NP. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

This sounds like more American nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Exactly. And very few threads actually started by women about how dreadful men are, almost like these things upset men more then women.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Exactly. And very few threads actually started by women about how dreadful men are, almost like these things upset men more then women.

In fairness, they're usually catalysed by the mainstream media giving out about us with clickbait headlines. I'm sure the Irish Independent has enjoyed a lot of ad revenue today after publishing that article, which is why I for one refuse to read it and encourage others to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SnazzyPig

My masculine side would enjoy shoving your archaic notions where the sun don't shine for you.

She's not wrong in what she said, and she doesn't need to get a job to form opinions. Opinions can be formed from the experiences of others.

Spectacular in every wrong way.

Well done if your objecive is to make femeinism meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ishma63

Keyzer wrote: »
    The thing we need to remember is these articles are typically written by idiots with the IQ of a housefly.

The statement above in bold is a load of bollox - unsubstantiated crap backed up by nothing. Perhaps in the 50's and 60's this kind of behaviour was going on but not now and certainly not in any household I know of today. On the contrary, I'd say more men feel under valued and under appreciated.

Women need to stop blaming everyone else and take a long hard look at themselves. Gender pay gap is a nonsense - it simply doesn't exist. I have yet to see one study that would convince me otherwise.

I think it was a nice article. It was just telling women how they can manage their anger in a better way. Everybody gets angry. Be they make or female. The bit about the woman smashing her wedding china and then going in and asking her daughter how her day went creeped me out a bit. That oul'wan sounds like a psychopath.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Its amazing the difference one letter makes (r in this case)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

I hate these battle of the sexes motifs. So lame. I like women and I like men - awesome critters. Guess what, women do bear the children. Guess what, men often do have more upper body strength. Whats with the surprise? The wrestle? Most men and women work things out merrily between them.

Anyway I have never found anger changed a single thing for me - Just made me feel physically unwell and left me stewing in profoundly illogical thoughts. You get older and you just think some mountains are for going around, not over. Find a better way than silly anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,008 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Did you actually read the article?

No matter how often I see that comment in AH, it always makes me laugh!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,911 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

In fairness, they're usually catalysed by the mainstream media giving out about us with clickbait headlines. I'm sure the Irish Independent has enjoyed a lot of ad revenue today after publishing that article, which is why I for one refuse to read it and encourage others to do the same.

I certainly never would have read the article if there wasn't for this thread advertising it.

But to be fair to the posters you quoted, they're right. These threads are numerous and tend to be started by men and are kept going by men parodying things that they imagine the dreaded feminists would say.

There are never the opposite threads started by women and kept going by women parodying misogynistic posts imagining what misogynistic men would say - probably they don't have to make them up because they're provided in abundance by posters in earnest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

For many women, this imbalance continues into the domestic sphere. "When a woman is working and she comes home from work, she feels she has to do so much more than the man does. When it comes to child-rearing, once again, women are far are more responsible than men. That creates a lot of tension and conflict. A lot of women [B]don't feel listened to,[/B] they don't feel valued, they don't feel appreciated, they don't feel supported. And then of course they become resentful, they act out their anger."

Sounds very much to me like this woman needs to learn to control her emotions a bit better.
    I get angry all the time - i never start swinging digs, throwing things, crying, storming off, slamming doors and so on. I suck it the fúck up and if possible make whatever changes are needed to avoid a repeat performance!

What's the solution ???

Independence, freedom and flexibility ???

Single women who are not looking for a man in their lives seem to be quite content and fire from all cylinders...

Maybe have the odd hook up or romantic liaison now and again..

Nothing wrong with that.

SnazzyPig wrote: »
    Spectacular in every wrong way.

Well done if your objecive is to make femeinism meaningless.

Thank you, although I'm not sure why you see what I wrote that way. It was a comment on women of the past - nothing at all to do with feminism.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3cswp2p
    What is making women angry, and can that rage be channelled for good? Kim Chakanetsa speaks to feminist writers from South Africa and the US.

US writer and media critic Soraya Chemaly says women across the world have a right to be angry.

Dela Gwala is a South African activist and writer, who found feminism in the aftermath of being sexually assaulted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Kumejima wrote: »
    Now they still have to do the majority of the household cleaning, cooking, etc while a host of new demands have been placed on them - acting as a taxi for kids hobbies, keeping in shape,etc. They're basically under way more pressure in their "traditional" role than the previous generations which is stressing them out.

Kids' activities are often a self-inflicted burden. It's not ideal for parents to be ferrying their children around all the time -- and it's not good for the kids either to spend so much of their time on scheduled activities.

As for pressure to keep in shape—more than half of Irish women are now overweight or obese. If they feel that they should do something about that, surely that's a good thing for their health?
    Oh yeah, now they also have to do the traditional male role too - go out and earn a living, compete in the workplace, put a roof over their kids heads; basically a whole bunch of other responsibilities which society recognised as so burdensome enough on their own for men that nothing was expected of men once they came in the door of their house.

Women fought long and hard for their right to get educations and jobs. Now you're characterizing earning a living as something these poor overburdened women "have" to do. But what's the alternative—that women should be supported economically by men, or by the state, so they don't have to earn their own living? Bluntly, women can't have it both ways. If they want genuine equality and full participation in civic and economic life, they have to share the burdens and responsibilities that come with that.

As for traditional gender roles, of course things used to be that way. Until the latter decades of the twentieth century, a large percentage of the Irish workforce was employed in agriculture. It was not unreasonable for someone doing hard manual labour on a farm all day long to expect his wife to take care of household duties so that he could rest in the evenings. Things have changed in recent decades, obviously, and most younger men do now play active roles in looking after children and doing household chores.
    Women are basically like GAA players now - having a professional job and a second job that leaves them no time for themselves.

Women have long promoted the idea that women should be free to do anything they want. It's no surprise that some women trying to "do it all" wind up exhausted and frustrated -- but again, it's all about choices and tradeoffs. None of us can do everything. Deciding to do one thing often comes at the opportunity cost of not being able to do something else.

It's very common to externalize blame for our choices onto others. It's no surprise that some women are blaming men for where they are in life, rather than looking closely at the dynamics and expectations that women have created for themselves.

Kids' activities are often a self-inflicted burden. It's not ideal for parents to be ferrying their children around all the time -- and it's not good for the kids either to spend so much of their time on scheduled activities.

As for pressure to keep in shape—more than half of Irish women are now overweight or obese. If they feel that they should do something about that, surely that's a good thing for their health?

Women fought long and hard for their right to get educations and jobs. Now you're characterizing earning a living as something women "have" to do. But what's the alternative—that women should be supported economically by men, or by the state, so they don't have to earn their own living?

As for traditional gender roles, until recently a large percentage of the Irish workforce was employed in agriculture. It was not unreasonable for someone working hard on a farm all day long to expect his wife to take care of the cleaning and cooking so that he could rest in the evenings. Things have changed in recent decades, obviously, and most younger men do now play active roles in looking after children and doing chores.

Women have long promoted the idea that women should be free to do anything they want. No surprise that some women trying to "do it all" wind up exhausted and frustrated -- but again, it's all about choices and tradeoffs.

It's very common to externalize blame for our choices onto others. No surprise that some women are blaming men for where they are in life, rather than looking closely at the dynamics and expectations that women have created for themselves.

Not every woman blame's men for their problems, but the one's who do have nobody to blame only their lack of responsibility and ability to cadge themselves a real responsible guy who's able to support her and her need's, and indeed she supporting him.

There's a plethora of angry women on Tinder and Bumble looking to monkey branch to a better guy.

Unfortunately there's only one type of guy who'll be willing to take on the role,and he's usually similar to the waster she's dumped.

Taking a good inventory and dating the old fashioned way is very rare these days.

A good solid women or man will steer clear of any dramatic situation, and seek out someone who's albe to have a proper functioning relationship.

What guy or woman wants to settle for meeting someone every second Saturday for a date and think it'll blossom into really getting to know each other...

Seriously, thinking like that is as delusional as believing in sky fairies and unicorns...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I certainly never would have read the article if there wasn't for this thread advertising it.

But to be fair to the posters you quoted, they're right. These threads are numerous and tend to be started by men and are kept going by men parodying things that they imagine the dreaded feminists would say.

There are never the opposite threads started by women and kept going by women parodying misogynistic posts imagining what misogynistic men would say - probably they don't have to make them up because they're provided in abundance by posters in earnest.

That's kinda my point, though. The vast majority of women don't actually subscribe to the "it's ok to generalise about men because a high enough proportion of them are scumbags" bullsh!t that's being pushed by a very vocal but relatively small subculture online and in certain pockets IRL, but it's a manufactured outrage magnet for the publications which make money based on how much traffic they get to their websites. The reason men start these threads, in fairness, is that it is extremely galling to see supposedly 'mainstream' and 'respectable' publications run with out and out generalising hate speech against men as a demographic which they wouldn't dare to run with in reverse - but over the last few years I've started to realise that this is purely an advertising gimmick for those publications which are desperate for click revenue, and nothing more than that.

The truth is that growing up in a world which quietly tolerates the "men bad" narrative that gets constantly pushed by the media will psychologically f*ck up a proportion of young men. Not all of us, but those of us who have other confidence issues to begin with. It's no different to how growing up in a world which quietly tolerates the "if a woman has so much as a freckle in the wrong place, she's worthless" bullsh!t from the media will psychologically f*ck up a proportion of young women. Not all, not even anywhere close to a majority in either case, but some people are more suggestible than others when it comes to media headlines stereotyping and generalising about their demographic, and they will react accordingly. I've always been one of those people, but my recent epiphany regarding the purpose of this sh!t (not to drive an actual agenda but to drive ad revenue and nothing more) has caused me to step back from it all.

Ultimately, the problem today is that a double standard has emerged - feminist groups have succeeded in pushing misogynistic narratives about women out of the mainstream media and largely into the tabloids or the trashy subsections of mainstream publications, while misandristic headlines are still tolerated on the front page. That's why this kind of crap pisses so many men off - it's inaccurate to say that society doesn't tolerate misogynistic headlines at all, but it is accurate to say that they receive far more scrutiny and criticism unless they're buried in the trashy subsections to begin with. And I think a lot of men are completely in agreement with the vilification of out and out misogyny - most lads would agree that front page body shaming and scrutiny of womens' relationships etc is total bullsh!t and just trashy - but there's a resentment that there's no corresponding societal outrage against articles like these.

I wish we could all just agree that looking at any human being and making literally any assumption about them based on what you see or hear, without actually interacting with that person, is f*cked up, inaccurate, and just wrong. The idiotic identity politics groups which want to divide right and wrong based on who the target is ("it's ok to openly treat men like sh!t in public life because privilege or some such buzzwords") are just that, idiotic. It's a real shame they've managed to gain such a foothold in modern culture, because as far as I'm concerned up until the mid-2010s society was actually going very much in the right direction, in terms of most ordinary people uniting behind the "how about just don't be a f*cking asshole to other people" banner.

The divisiveness which has crept back in to mainstream culture on the back of this clickbait crap is just sad.

Advertisement