Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to dispose of styrofoam/aeroboard type packaging?

• 14-01-2020 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭

In the shed I have about three or four (large) appliances worth of the moulded styrofoam type stuff that holds the items in place inside the cardboard box.
    I've also got two refuse sacks full of the beads from a bean bag that burst, which I guess is the same material.

Can this stuff be broken up and put in the recycling bin? I'm guessing no, though the bag beans would be great for filling up any empty space in the bin before it goes out!

The stuff is a PITA as it's so bulky. Does the Ballymount waste facility take this stuff?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,543 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The only way I know of to dispose of polystyrene is to bag it up as household/kitchen waste. Which at €5 a bag is an expensive exercise. There's an awful temptation to spray €5 worth of petrol over some polystyrene, wait to de-fume and then bag the considerably reduced volume of polystyrene residue. Only kidding.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Never.Give.Up

Just joined and happened to see this. Leaving an FYI here - you can recycle polystyrene, etc for free in Ballyogan Recycling Park in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Just joined and happened to see this. Leaving an FYI here - you can recycle polystyrene, etc for free in Ballyogan Recycling Park in Dublin.

What do they do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Never.Give.Up

Apparently they recycle it.

Joking aside, I don't know. We just deposit the material inside a container. You might find this video interesting: youtube .com/watch?v=UAYl8zrOQZo

Advertisement