Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some advice on a kayak

• 15-02-2012 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm thinking on getting a kayak for paddle'n about the bay.

I have my eye on a winner velocity kayak and I was wondering if anybody has experience with one of these kayaks and would know if it's a good or bad one, it's main use would be paddling about the sea and maby try a bit of surf with...

I've only kayaked a few times but I'd love to do it during the summer...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jimkayak

Hi There,
    This is in my opinion the best all round kayak on the market for some folks it's a bit pricey at 800 euro, we use them for the sea and river,
    there are video's on youtube showing how to get back in if you fall out at sea.
    the small play kayaks are to slow if you want to go any distance.

http://www.nativewatercraft.com/boat.cfm?id=26

hope this helps,
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Hey, I'm thinking on getting a kayak for paddle'n about the bay.

I have my eye on a winner velocity kayak and I was wondering if anybody has experience with one of these kayaks and would know if it's a good or bad one, it's main use would be paddling about the sea and maby try a bit of surf with...

I've only kayaked a few times but I'd love to do it during the summer...

They are a great allround kayak. Not so good though if you are very heavy, as the seat would be a bit tight then. Great spec for the price. (less than €400 all in ). I shopped around and got mine one Saturday in Sligo at http://www.sunset.ie/p/velocity_sitontop_kayakinc_paddlebackrest
    Easy to use, self draining and stable. Stunning scenery all weekend, lovely lakes and coast. Best thing I ever bought as its great fresh air and exercise on a weekend exploring away in the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

Thanks all for the replies!

I've recentally purchased the winner velocity kayak :D

I've been on it once due to being very busy but plan on going on it a lot more soon, it's a great lil boat so far but for the first time, your muscled don't like you the next day :p

Can't wait to get good at it now over the next while so I can paddle further and build up some fitness with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭cubix

CD were did you get your velocity in the end. There is a crowd in cork offering it for €399 for kayak/paddle/backrest/buoyancy aid and shipping. Was thinking of getting a couple for the kids.

I got it off I-Canoe.com, I had seen the offer from that place in cork so he matched that offer .I wanted to get extra bits aswell, inflatable roof rack, better seat ect as well so that's why I chose I-canoe. The guy there Colm is great to deal with.

• Advertisement

Cheers, will check it out. What was the difference with the upgraded sit over the one supplied. How do you find it over all

The one I got has a slightly highter back and has a cushion on the base so your not sitting on hard plastic, I got it as I thought over long lengths of time it would be better, I think i got a free upgrade with it??

So far I've been out about 5/6 times, wanted to go out more but with tides and the bad weather it's cut it down but on a calm day it's brilliant, ver easy to paddle, takes a lot out of ur arms but they build up after a while, and it's a light enough boat, one person carry it no bother..

And if your buying it for the kids, it has multiple foot rests so any one can fit if u ever feel the need to have a go :p I'm about 6ft and it perfect

Good stuff, absolutely dont think I will get away without having a go. We use to mess around years ago with the old type fiberglass canoes. Which could be a pain some times as you nearly always went over and were a bit more difficult to get back into, plus these lads will take a bit more bashing;)

When you go out do find you have to where a wet suit

I just wear swim shorts and a thermal tshirt I have from snowboarding.... A wetsuit would be handy but u warm up while paddling.....

And yea they can take a hiding, when going to shore I always thing I'll rip the bottom with the Stoney beach but no marks yet :D

• Advertisement

Thanks, if you have a chance could you post up a pic of the upgraded seat or even a make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭nookie

This post has been deleted.

nookie wrote: »
    I just wear swim shorts and a thermal tshirt I have from snowboarding.... A wetsuit would be handy but u warm up while paddling.....

Lads - it's still fairly early in the year, the water is not that warm. If something was to go wrong and you were to be immersed in the water for any length of time, you will become hypothermic surprisingly quickly.
    Wear a wetsuit.
    Nookie i am hearing u. It will be a while until i get out with the kids, so hopfully warmer.

Advertisement