Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Liffey Descent Plans

Options
  • 25-08-2011 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

So Liffey Descent isn't to far away!

Whats your plans?

What class/boat are you going to race/participate in?

What are your aspirations? going to win your class??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

dubes wrote: »
    So Liffey Descent isn't to far away!

Whats your plans?

What class/boat are you going to race/participate in?

What are your aspirations? going to win your class??

Plans? Get a nice fleece. :p

General purpose in a Prijon T Canyon and if I get top 20 ill be happy. You?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

It depends.

I could be in a class of my own....

Seriously I need to get the day off first. But either GP or if I get brave a k boat. I do have a very old boat which could do with seeing water again if I repair it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Reckon they could have run it today, got 1 meg for the lower liffey, and would probably have gotten more if it was the liffey and the last flood required for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

Would have been a nice day for it, did my first marathon race today so got some preparation in for the descent proper.

KenHy wrote: »
    Would have been a nice day for it, did my first marathon race today so got some preparation in for the descent proper.

Bit of a slog with the wind and only 1 meg though! What class?

• Advertisement

Yea a slog alright, hope to see some more water on descent day. Did it in a wavehopper (Div 4 I think), was told I was the second plastic boat to come in so happy with that one!

Yea a slog alright, hope to see some more water on descent day. Did it in a wavehopper (Div 4 I think), was told I was the second plastic boat to come in so happy with that one!

Well done.

Reckon by the time the liffey comes around that we should get 2-3 megs, given that they'll be a lot more likely to give us water in October coming into winter than they would in September. That and the fact that it hasn't stopped raining in bloody ages!!!

Hopefully so, not sure where all this rain is going though, it doesn't seem to be getting into rivers. :(

Hopefully so, not sure where all this rain is going though, it doesn't seem to be getting into rivers. :(

Dry ground. Well you can be sure there won't be any size of a flood let off on the liffey between now and the 8th October anyway, more or less regardless of rain!

The past two days would HAVE to have fed the vegitation and flooded the ground a bit.

In saying that, a buddy of mine was sailing in Blessington lake last week and said he was hitting the old walls of the flooded fields :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

Reckon they could have run it today, got 1 meg for the lower liffey, and would probably have gotten more if it was the liffey and the last flood required for the year.

The major problem for the last few years has been the Upper Liffey. They haven't been able to secure a release other than for the decent for the last few years. No Upper Liffey races as a result.

1 meg was low. Couldn't risk shooting Lucan in most composites for example.
    Times were about 10 mins slower than last years Lower Liffey race.

Did it in touring double. Struggled on Leixlip Lake due to low volume of bow in waves. Kept nose diving. Came a cropper on Sluice as per usual for me. Need to get up there an shoot it 5 or 6 times to get the hang of it.

Doing Descent in Touring Double also.

robd wrote: »
    The major problem for the last few years has been the Upper Liffey. They haven't been able to secure a release other than for the decent for the last few years. No Upper Liffey races as a result.

1 meg was low. Couldn't risk shooting Lucan in most composites for example.
    Times were about 10 mins slower than last years Lower Liffey race.

Did it in touring double. Struggled on Leixlip Lake due to low volume of bow in waves. Kept nose diving. Came a cropper on Sluice as per usual for me. Need to get up there an shoot it 5 or 6 times to get the hang of it.

Doing Descent in Touring Double also.

Lucan was ok in a kevlar k1 as long as you came in at the right angle. Bit bumpy, but no damage.

K2 was a bit of an issue from what I heard though, especially on Chapelizod.

Lucan was ok in a kevlar k1 as long as you came in at the right angle. Bit bumpy, but no damage.

K2 was a bit of an issue from what I heard though, especially on Chapelizod.

Yep. Had my and our first capsize ever on Chapelizod. Was a bit dis-orientated to be honest, and over listened to directions from rescue on top of weir to come forward. Smacked bow off lip wall at top of weir. Stern kept on going on down and crashed onto fish pass wall at the bottom, chucking the 2 of us out. Further insult when our boat ran us over.

Portaged Lucan as didn't feel it was worth the risk.

Portaged Lucan as didn't feel it was worth the risk.

I had no trouble on either, but from what I heard Chapelizod was worse for damage. Although maybe that's because people were prepared for Lucan and did as you did, and weren't prepared for Chapelizod.

SO I went and did an 18 Mile training session yesterday. Happy enough with my times etc.... Boat needs a bit of work due to old age. Had half the river in with me by the end of the trip.

Question is, Is there any point ? Are we going to be given our release ? I'd rather not hand away my 40 quid if it wont be running. In fact, if I get there and there's no release I'll be turning straight around and heading home !

Any news on a release ?

MugMugs wrote: »
    SO I went and did an 18 Mile training session yesterday. Happy enough with my times etc.... Boat needs a bit of work due to old age. Had half the river in with me by the end of the trip.

Question is, Is there any point ? Are we going to be given our release ? I'd rather not hand away my 40 quid if it wont be running. In fact, if I get there and there's no release I'll be turning straight around and heading home !

Any news on a release ?

Scout Liffey Descent is on Sunday 2nd Oct (this Sunday). Guy organising it has been promised 2 Megawatts. Would give a good indication.

BOB said on http://www.liffeydescent.com/Forum/aff/47/aft/484/afv/topic.aspx that the ESB are allowed hold lower levels in lake in October compared to September, hence a release should not be a problem.

Release for Lower Liffey wasn't great but that too was September (orig Descent date).

Scout Liffey Descent is on Sunday 2nd Oct (this Sunday). Guy organising it has been promised 2 Megawatts. Would give a good indication.

BOB said on http://www.liffeydescent.com/Forum/aff/47/aft/484/afv/topic.aspx that the ESB are allowed hold lower levels in lake in October compared to September, hence a release should not be a problem.

Release for Lower Liffey wasn't great but that too was September (orig Descent date).

That's better than a kick in the hole so ! :)

I don't think there will be a release this weekend, there is work going on on some of the weirs so they cant release as far as I know.

I reckon minimum 2 megawatts, they gave 1 for the lower liffey in september, and theres been a fair bit of rain since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 _ross

Just signed up for the liffey descent there early last week. Doing it in a candian with a mate. Been paddling for too long, but this is my first year doing the descent. We are bring flasks of teas, sandwichs and choclate digestives (have a dry bag anchored to the boat), going to take it really handy and enjoy the day out. We are planning to run all the weirs and expect a miniumum of two swims :)

Just wondering if I should expect a confirmation e-mail or anything. They haven't taken any money out of my credit card yet. Am I over reacting, they probably have tonnes of entries to go through.

• Advertisement

_ross wrote: »
    Just signed up for the liffey descent there early last week. Doing it in a candian with a mate. Been paddling for too long, but this is my first year doing the descent. We are bring flasks of teas, sandwichs and choclate digestives (have a dry bag anchored to the boat), going to take it really handy and enjoy the day out. We are planning to run all the weirs and expect a miniumum of two swims :)

Just wondering if I should expect a confirmation e-mail or anything. They haven't taken any money out of my credit card yet. Am I over reacting, they probably have tonnes of entries to go through.

Last year they put a list of confirmed entries up on their site. Don't think that's happening this year. Apparently you can ring ICU and they will confirm receipt of entry.

I think you mean you'r expecting a minimum of 2 weirs without a swim. ;-) Enjoy. Tough work in those Canadians.

_ross wrote: »

They dont send confirmation but a quick phone call will ease your nerves.

Never fear though, the ICU will always make their way to your credit card eventually ! :)

ps - I'd rather a two man Canadian than a General Purpose Kayak !

Lots of water on the Liffey today. Much more than for Lower Liffey. I'd guess the equivalent of 2 MW.

Lake was pretty full, although they're probably holding back for tomorrows Scout Liffey Descent release. No idea about Blesington.

Did a run from Leixlip lake down to Islandbridge. Every weir was shootable though we portaged most of them, due to no rescue backup. Good flow too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 _ross

Just to say I gave the ICU a call on monday.
    They had miss placed my application but we got it all sorted.
    Thanks for the advice, no harm calling to make sure, if there is no action on your account (01) 6251105.
    Best of luck on the weekend.

Thanks for the support robd :D

Final Liffey Notice
    1 The bib collection will be at Salmon Leap Canoe Club (Leixlip Lake) from 5.00 pm to 9.00 pm on Friday 7th of Oct. T shirts, goodie bags, boat number can be collected there. Paddlers travelling long distances can collect bibs on Saturday morning at Staffan carpark (info centre).Wrist bands will be issued as meal tickets, please place on your wrist and exchange at the race finish for your free meal.
    2 There will be boat checking in SLCC carpark on the Friday night to ease the pressure on Sat morning boat checking (as per previous years). Boats must have adequate buoyancy, rigid foam air bags etc. A sticker will be put on the boats once checked and passed
    3 A Bus will be available before the start of the race leaving Trinity boathouse (the finish) at 10 am to arrive at the race start by 11 am. A bus will also be available after the race to bring paddler back to the start to collect cars leaving Trinity boathouse at 5 pm. It is important that paddlers book a place on the bus by Friday night at bib collection, the service is Free, but must be booked beforehand and a ticket received.
    4 Paddlers must only park in the grass field opposite the Trinity boathouse, they must NOT park in the paved carpark adjacent to the Trinity boathouse (it is a condition of the use of the park by the OPW for public use, not associated with the Liffey Descent). Parking on the approach road to the War memorial park and Trinity boathouse in not permitted, the Gardai have indicated canoeists cars may be clamped if parked on the approach road.
    5 The jungle has been trimmed and all obstacles removed however all paddlers are advised to proceed with caution through the jungle and take extreme care in overtaking. All paddlers are obliged to render assistance to distressed/swimming paddlers, failure to do so will result in sanctions being applied.
    6 Boats must allow enough time to paddle up to the start line before the first start at 12.30. Paddlers are reminded that in strong flows this can take more than 30 minutes. Canadians and GPs must get on the water before 12 to allow enough time to reach the start.
    7 The carpark for the start of the race is the new Smurfit Course carpark (as per 2010) which is on the Kill side (south bank) of Straffan. At the race start, cars parking and staying, should park on the left hand side, while cars dropping and going should stop on the right hand side of the Straffan car park.
    8 Should you withdraw from the race at any point it is essential you inform the rescuers at the nearest weir to notify the timing station at the finish line so as rescuers are not sent out looking for missing paddlers.
    9 As the race is later in the year than normal and daylight will fade sooner (6.30 pm), canoes that have not reached the portage by 3.30 pm will be required to withdraw from the race. Boats not reaching Wrens nest weir by 4.30 will also be required to withdraw from the race for safety reasons.

10 The race start sequence is
    1 All racing K 2 classes
    2 All racing single classes (K1, WW racer, junior senior, women and Masters
    3 All T2s
    4 GPs Mens Senior
    5 All remaining GP, Veteran, Junior & Women
    6 All Canadian (C1, C2, C3)
    11 Race packs numbers and bibs will be issued at 4 separate desks on Friday
    Desk 1 All racing classes (K1 K2 WW racer junior, senior, masters etc)
    Desk 2 All Canadian
    Desk 3 All GP
    Desk 4 All T2
    Desk 5 All queries, late entries, bus tickets etc
    12 There will be tea and coffee for sale at the start for a nominal fee, all proceeds are going to the slalom committee to support their fundraising efforts, please feel free to support them and benefit from a pre race coffee & cake
    13 The Marathon committee will be selling raffle tickets to support the National team travelling to Singapore to the World Championships in October. There is over 1,500 euros work of prizes which will be raffled at the Post Race party.
    14 The post race party will be in the Church bar (by Jervis street shopping centre) starting at 8 pm, entry & finger food is included in your race entry. Friends and family of canoeists welcome. The basement is booked for the party (with 2 bands (Inside Out) and a DJ playing) while upstairs the music will be a little more chilled – so something to cater for everyone.

Best of Luck
    Liffey Descent Committee 2011

That was emailed out today in case you missed it.

Also, posted on facebook by commitee member:

Just to confirm a full flood is coming > 4 MW so bring your good decks for the Liffey !
    Check out the ICU web page for some last minute updates - I'll try post them later.

BOB

and

Liffey Descent Photos :
    We will have 2 or 3 semi professional photographers taking pics at various locations on the race. The pics will be uploaded to the Marathon web site (flicker section) If you wish to get copies they will be available for a nominal fee (say 5 euro for the file high def etc or say 10 euro for a hard copy A4) You can find out more from the ICU web page and pay the office etc etc . Thanks. BOB

Also mentioned on Monday in case you missed it:
    Liffey Descent Film - CALL FOR HELP

Hi everybody,

"Life Cinematic" adventure-sports film production company here -

Just a quick shout-out to everyone to make you all aware of the film crew that will be shooting the Liffey descent on Saturday. "Life Cinematic" will be operating at various weirs. We promise to cause as little disruption as possible but also we would like to ask kindly for your co-operation on the day. We will be operating a jib arm (crane) and various small tracks for our cameras. As the event dictates, we will have to get into the nitty gritty grit much like the competitors (but staying out of their way of course) so apologies in advance if we are taking up a good vantage point.

We are aware that many of you will be wearing various helmet camera's etc and we would like to make a call out for footage. If you would like it to be included in the final cut of our film - we would appreciate if you could get in touch! (contact provided below)

The film crew will be at Wild Water Kayak Club tomorrow (Tuesday 4th) wearing "Life Cinematic" t-shirts and would like to meet anybody who might like to be apart of the film. We are looking for fun characters to feature in the story to represent the non-competitive paddler.

Thanks to everyone in advance for your co-operation, best of luck to all the paddlers - its going to be a great day!!!

- "Life cinematic" team.

0872535504 OR 0044 7940431120
    jon@lifecinematic.com

Best of luck to everyone doing it!!!

MugMugs wrote: »
    Any news on a release ?

Full release of > 4 MW just confirmed by BOB on Marathon Facebook page.

Change to start order, all GP's now start together.

Best of luck folks.

Done today, Messed up the start, didn't realise there was only two waves before the GP start and ended up at the very back of the group, Took me about 5 minutes to get to the start line and didn't really get going till after the Jungle as I was stuck behind some very slow boats. Still only finished 10 minutes behind 3rd place so very much a case of what could have been. Will learn my lesson for next year.

• Advertisement

Everything that could have gone wrong, went wrong. Spent more time in the water than on it. :(

Lessons learned, make sure everything in the boat is sound beforehand and avoid that horrible big rock in straffan.

Advertisement