Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice - tips & tricks on moves / strokes

• 11-02-2010 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Just wanted to open a thread that will encourage everyone to ask for advice and also to post advice on the many different strokes and moves out there. It doesnt matter how basic or difficult the move / stroke is I am sure there will be someone here who can give an opinion on it. It sometimes takes several approaches to something until it clicks but when it does that eureka moment comes and you wonder why it took so long to learn. When you get it practice and repeat it until it sinks into your muscle memory.
    My four cents are

Hanging draw tip - Before planting the blade ensure the last stroke is on the same side as the hanging draw. this pushes the bow of the boat away from the direction intended and thus stops the boat spinning out. Its also really important to ensure the padlle position is in line with your hip.

Rolling tip - If you find when you sweep the paddle that it sinks and you cannot feel the force upon the blade, rotate your wrists forward. this opens up the power face of the blade and will actually bring the blade towards the surface instead of diving down.

Rolling tip - When you are 75% up out of the water and the hip flick is almost complete scull the blade forwards and finish in a forward sitting position. The roll will have two strokes and resemble a sculling action. This gives extra purchase on the water and brings you up in a positive stroke position where you can continue into a strong forward stroke

Advice wanted - Double pump - ive got the sweep to lift the bow - able to put the boat on edge, the bow comes down fast and the bow sinks however the boat does not go up to the stall. it just feels i have not got enough pressure on the back of the blade on the second stroke. Is the blade best close to the boat or away from it. and do you need to get the boat right on its edge or may I be trying to get the boat too vertical ????? all advice welcommed

I stand to be corrected or challenged but that is a part of the point of this thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭joey100

Hard to say what is happening with your double pump without actually seeing it but from teaching a few people a few problems people have are,

1. Dont pull your weight back on the first stroke of the double pump. Keep your weight in the middle, the stroke is more about getting the bow down than getting the bow in the air. Keep your weight in the middle or a bit forward to help drive down the bow.

2. When doing the stroke, dont pull the paddle too far away from the boat, keep it close but not too close. Try to get the boat going in a straight line rather than pulling to one side, this will help when you start linking cart wheels together.

3. When you pull the paddle back on the first stroke of the double pump make sure it is parallel to the water. This will mean you can get your weight right over the paddle and really pushes the bow down.

In my experience it is usually the third point that people have problems with as you have to be completely comfortable with the boat on edge and not using a brace.

Hope this is of some help to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭christramp

Yep that makes a lot of sense, I do tend to lean back on the first stroke in order to lift the bow - now you have said about keeping the weight in the centre it makes perfect sense. Im completely comfortable on edge - stern squirts and stern stalls are all good and easily done. Ill give your advice a go in the pool next week - Here goes

Fantastic - its exactely what I wanted from this thread - C'mon everyone post up your issues and suggestions here

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

christramp wrote: »
    Advice wanted - Double pump - ive got the sweep to lift the bow - able to put the boat on edge, the bow comes down fast and the bow sinks however the boat does not go up to the stall. it just feels i have not got enough pressure on the back of the blade on the second stroke. Is the blade best close to the boat or away from it. and do you need to get the boat right on its edge or may I be trying to get the boat too vertical ????? all advice welcommed

Hey Chris,

This is how I do / teach it ( Click the pic)

Capture1.jpg

I have a few other boating related "how to's" right HERE.

Adrian

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭christramp

I didnt think it would take too long for your advice. Thats a great tutorial and plenty of advice available on your site:D

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

when trying to get a zombied paddler back on track when the river is pushing them around i get them to follow the mantra; lift your upstream edge, point your nose where you wanna go and PLF* this focuses them on simple tasks and gets them acting in a proactive instead of a reactive manner. sometimes simple works.

*PLF = paddle like....fairly positivlely proactive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Hey,

Here is another hand skill for all you white water boaters out there.

Click the pic....

Capture-43.jpg

Adrian

Advertisement