Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Hero's Death - Fontaines DC

• 30-07-2020 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭

Fontaines DC's new album has just been released.

I'm halfway through it and liking it so far. Shows good progression from Dogrel, which would be difficult to follow up.

Reviews seem positive too.

Anybody else listening?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

murpho999 wrote: »
    Fontaines DC's new album has just been released.

I'm halfway through it and liking it so far. Shows good progression from Dogrel, which would be difficult to follow up.

Reviews seem positive too.

Anybody else listening?

Downloaded it but not listened yet. Enjoyed the lead signal. Pleased it got a good pitchfork review.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭dasdog

Just listened to it and it's a very good follow up. Hearing Public Image Limited in 'I Was Not Born' to add to the list of the post punk in their sound. And The Beach Boys in 'Sunny'. Their meteoric rise last year could have ended up in burn out so perhaps the break has helped.

I'll definitely be picking up a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭rainagain

Listened to it today a few times, really like it. Saw them (finally) in March at the Olympia fundraiser, great stage energy.

One of the tracks reminds me of Ex-magician which I find odd, two pretty different bands!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

The vinyl arrived on Tuesday so we've been listening to it non-stop since then. It's cracking, I love all the places it goes. From dark and foreboding to catchy and upbeat ... always still tinged with a bit of dogrel melancholy.

As always with Fontaines, I wish he wouldn't change his accent so much. It's obvious that he's putting it on, especially in some of the more down-tempo songs. They're my favourite ones on the album; or they would be if he wasn't figuring out how a Northside Dubliner would pronounce the words :rolleyes:

The instrumentation and melodies on the tracks make it a real stand-out for 2020 so far. Very proud that they're from Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm constantly distracted by the contrived inner city Dublin accent that actually comes out just plain wrong sometimes. The album has a bright start but by the end it feels laboured and I don't think it flows very well. Some lovely instrumentation going on before the song title is shouted 5 or six times over it.

Televised Mind and Lucid Dreams are really good songs, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Listened fully today. I’m impressed. I haven’t listened to the first one to compare but it’s a strong record. Slightly derivative but what art isn’t. Love Sunny and No. Bit Stone Rosey in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

maybe mayos best ever band?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Joffrey

Listened fully today. I’m impressed. I haven’t listened to the first one to compare but it’s a strong record. Slightly derivative but what art isn’t. Love Sunny and No. Bit Stone Rosey in parts.

They do have something a bit Madchester going on. But like, nothing comparable to the Stone Roses musicianship. I think their manager is the greatest of all time to get them where he has.

Advertisement