Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Male thinning crown product recommendation

Options
  • 17-07-2020 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

I'm 28 and recently noticed by fluke and by horror my crown is starting to thin and its left me quite paranoid. Looking for product advice as Google will promote what's been paid most for.
    I have fairly thick hair that grows quick (get it cut every 4 weeks) so I'm wondering is applying thickening shampoos only gonna cause the rest of hair to go super thick and be like a mop. Is a cream that I apply to the crown maybe better than an all over shampoo thickener?
    I will add I only use simple all in one shampoo body wash as for years as a kid I have sensitive skin so doctor always recommended using a simple product but I'm wondering is this now what's causing my crown to suffer?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Moving to Beauty, sure to be some good advice!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

Tried onion juice (purple apparently works best)?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,625 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Nisim Shampoo, blended with Nizoral Shampoo
    BOOM!

But you need some finasteride, like 0.10 of a mg a day, not 1.25 mg!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I lost a lot of my hair last year due to stress, at one point you could see my scalp at the back of my head cause my hair was so thin and weak.

I started using Redken Extreme shampoo and conditioner, it’s for strengthening, restoring and repairing weakened hair.
    I’ve personally found it excellent, and between that and regular Olaplex treatments my hair is now in great condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I lost a lot of my hair last year due to stress, at one point you could see my scalp at the back of my head cause my hair was so thin and weak.

I started using Redken Extreme shampoo and conditioner, it’s for strengthening, restoring and repairing weakened hair.
    I’ve personally found it excellent, and between that and regular Olaplex treatments my hair is now in great condition.

Would you believe it I actually went into the salon in town and asked what they had and they sold me 'redken cerafill retailiate shampoo', I was worried they only sold me it cuz it was all they had but google shows its quite good seemingly. Unfortunately as I'm male an my hair thinning/baulding I have a hunch will be hereditary but I do be under alot of stress and anxiety this past few years so that may have brought it on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Yes unfortunately for lads it can just be a case of genes and there's not a lot you can do about that. If I were you I'd try the shampoos/treatments you bought or some of the products geared to men with thinning hair, and give them a good chance with regular use. If it doesn't make the difference you want, I'd look at having a chat with a really good barber and get them to sort you out with a great haircut for your new hair. A good cut can make the world of difference.

Brands I've come across:

- Nioxin, shampoo, conditioner, treatment - can take pills also.
    This was the recommended salon brand, though each salon probably has individual products they're advocating/promoting.

- Phytolium

- Bioxsine

- Klorane

- Bosley Revive (didn't find this in store, but was top reviewed on websites)

See I used to keep my hair bleached so it was always dry/thin.

Recently I started letting it grow normally, and it does appear the strands on the top are thinner than the sides/back.

I'll keep shopping about for a little longer and see what seems to work best.

Apparently one mechanism is dihydrotestosterone inhibitors that work on the scalp.

Some enzyme, 5α-Reductase responsible for conversion of testosterone to DHT, inhibitors of it included in the product formulation.

They're obviously the base of finasteride pills etc - think I saw on one box they're basically applied from the outside in with shampoos/external treatments.

Haven't looked into the base mechanisms of those anti-thinning brands I listed above but presumably the most effective ones use this as their base of action.

A thread was also made on "Mesotherapy" in this sub.

I had been confusing it before with lipolax a fat dissolver, but more conventional mesotherapy is apparently hyaluronic acid, peptides, vitamins and collagen.

Apparently applicable for growth/thinning also.

Thanks for brand suggestions. I'd be reluctant to go down the medicinal route of tweaking hormones as I think it's hereditary. Attached a pic of by hair...I know people might say its minor. I've started using this week Redken Cerafill Retaliate shampoo. Early days not holding my breath.

• Advertisement

Thanks for brand suggestions. I'd be reluctant to go down the medicinal route of tweaking hormones as I think it's hereditary. Attached a pic of by hair...I know people might say its minor. I've started using this week Redken Cerafill Retaliate shampoo. Early days not holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Well bro, have a read of this thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058040074

Pm me if you have any questions.

Advertisement