Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Reseeding/Stitching Discussion Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭farisfat

Dose the time harrow form good enough seed bed in a full reseed.
    What rate do u sow clover when over seeding.
    And cost per acre.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

farisfat wrote: »
    Dose the time harrow form good enough seed bed in a full reseed.
    What rate do u sow clover when over seeding.
    And cost per acre.

A seed bed just has to be soild and the ground exposed. If you till the ground like mad All you are left with at times is powdery soil which is poached easily when wet.

Most of my work is repairing patchy reseeds or reseeds after the first winter. Poweharrows leave the ground very vulnerable to holding water unless very well rolled numerous times. All the seed needs is soil contact and that's where the roller comes in.

Clover is usually sown at 2kg an acre. The clover itself is expensive compared to grass seed so not sure about that but seeding run of harrow is €25 and any preparation runs are €10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Reggie. wrote: »
    It would be as it applies more pressure to the ground with the tensioner tine. A chain harrow just drags along the top of the ground. You would have to add weight to the chain. Some lads attach a GATE to them

Good to see ya took my advice :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭farisfat

A seed bed just has to be soild and the ground exposed. If you till the ground like mad All you are left with at times is powdery soil which is poached easily when wet.

Most of my work is repairing patchy reseeds or reseeds after the first winter. Poweharrows leave the ground very vulnerable to holding water unless very well rolled numerous times. All the seed needs is soil contact and that's where the roller comes in.

Clover is usually sown at 2kg an acre. The clover itself is expensive compared to grass seed so not sure about that but seeding run of harrow is €25 and any preparation runs are €10

Have you many full reseed jobs done.....and how did they turn out compared to power harrow or guttler.
    What's output like on good level ground.
    Sorry for all the questions.

I says wrote: »
    Good to see ya took my advice :):):)

No need. That's that butcher way of doing things. I'm more civilised :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Dozer1

so the Rakeman 3000 is selling at €2,950 inc. 23 per cent Vat only 3m wide,

its very tempting but 1 question I have is my ground is muddy, are the tines strong enough for heavier ground?
    I think they look a better job than the chain harrow but you can buy a wider chain harrow so cover the ground faster which is important for the part time person

No need. That's that butcher way of doing things. I'm more civilised :D

Yeah ‘‘tis only an auld shook gate I use none of yer fancy stuff:)

farisfat wrote: »
    Have you many full reseed jobs done.....and how did they turn out compared to power harrow or guttler.
    What's output like on good level ground.
    Sorry for all the questions.

No hassle. Only small amounts of full reseeds done last year as not much time but supposed to be large bits this year.

Difference in tine harrow to guttler is that the tine harrow has 180 tines exposing the ground where a guttler has about 26 (I think) per run. The guttlers tines are also straight tines so when they wear they might not have the same depth in the ground. After that the only difference is the roller at the rear. Only think about the roller is that it Sometimes can gather up the seed again if the rollers get damp.

With the powerharrow you get the ground well prepared but it has a habit of leaving the ground very tender. For instance we reseeded 5 acres in April one year. Went into the field in Oct with teleporter to lift a tree and sank the machine but the teleporter had no trouble in any other field only the reseeded one. I csme to the conculsion that it was powerharrowed too deeply and the soil wasn't compacted and allowing moisture to be stored between the layers. Never got a power harrow back since.

Was told after that you shouldn't powerharrow any deeper than an inch or two but at that rate you might as well be using a tine harrow and you don't be messing up the soil structure.

**all opinions above are my own and from my personnel experience. I'm aware people may have different thoughts on systems.

Yeah ‘‘tis only an auld shook gate I use none of yer fancy stuff:)

I seen the pics. Rough operator :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Tomjim wrote:
    what other options are available that would not be too expensive

I've seeded most ways except overfeeding and stitching the chain harrow system does work

• Advertisement

lab man wrote: »
    I've seeded most ways except overfeeding and stitching the chain harrow system does work

Which would you prefer lab? Or is it farm dependant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Reggie. wrote:
    Which would you prefer lab? Or is it farm dependant

Well have a lot of mud here in west clare so it's best not to churn it up so all I do now is spray off seed roll light lime fert leave alone then but I do most of the seeding in sept or early October it works here as yer not disturbing the ground and light weanlings can graze it off if it's dry,
    First time I went seeding I ploughed disked powerharrowed i told the guy powerharrowing to go light as in 2 inches max but let it down to the last I was gone to work when he was at it I couldn't go into the field for 3 yrs after as you'd just sink a pure disaster that was 9 yrs ago no powerharrow let in here since either

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭foxirl

2017 must have been a year for the chickweed as a neighbour has the same issue. He says it's popped up everywhere in a reseed.

If the grass doesn't smother it you could try to harrow it out after that. Hopefully the double hit might knock it back. Other than that then spray might be your only option.

As well as the chickweed it's fairly patchy in areas as you can see from the pic. If I broadcast some more seed with a wagtail and roll would it be worth it. Don't have access to chain harrow and would probably tear up a lot of what's already sown as only 7 months

2017 must have been a year for the chickweed as a neighbour has the same issue. He says it's popped up everywhere in a reseed.

If the grass doesn't smother it you could try to harrow it out after that. Hopefully the double hit might knock it back. Other than that then spray might be your only option.

As well as the chickweed it's fairly patchy in areas as you can see from the pic. If I broadcast some more seed with a wagtail and roll would it be worth it. Don't have access to chain harrow and would probably tear up a lot of what's already sown as only 7 months

foxirl wrote: »

I'd give it time to tiller out first. If still that bad in autumn I'd consider another bit of overseeding. Don't forget it was a hard winter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Great info Reggie. Any advice for mouse eared chickweed. Reseed from last September is full of it and the sheep don't seem to eat it. Thinking of saving hay on some of it and was wondering once the grass gets long will is smother it out.

Grazing tight normally sorts the chickweed with cows anyway. If closing it for silage or hay give it a spray after it's grazed most herbicides would sort chickweed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

There's nothing wrong with that! Bag manure and graze it.

I'd give it time to tiller out first. If still that bad in autumn I'd consider another bit of overseeding. Don't forget it was a hard winter

Thanks Reggie

Mooooo wrote: »
    Grazing tight normally sorts the chickweed with cows anyway. If closing it for silage or hay give it a spray after it's grazed most herbicides would sort chickweed
    Might hold off on cutting as was advised that wouldn't help with tillering. Will spray in autumn if it comes to it but trying to avoid killing clover. Will come back in another month with a pic of progress.
    Thanks

Might hold off on cutting as was advised that wouldn't help with tillering. Will spray in autumn if it comes to it but trying to avoid killing clover. Will come back in another month with a pic of progress.
    Thanks

Don't forget clover can always be added after you have the seed under control

• Advertisement

Best way to repair rut marks left by tractor around gateways and wet areas?

Best way to repair rut marks left by tractor around gateways and wet areas?

If very bad a landleveller or tripe k harrow. Tine harrow if marks aren't too deep

If very bad a landleveller or tripe k harrow. Tine harrow if marks aren't too deep

I wouldn’t want the tine harrow too deep for that so landleveler it is thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Thanks

You can cut it once you don't go leaving it grow for 10 weeks, if it was growing for 4 or 5 it would be fine i find anyway. Also with reseed the grass would need regular fert this would help it get on top of weeds and get established. Reseeding and not fertilizing is a bit of false economy as the sward will just revert back to weed grasses etc as new grass needs to be fed

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

Has any1 tried the DLF ProNitro seed, nitrogen coated seed..

oxjkqg wrote: »
    Has any1 tried the DLF ProNitro seed, nitrogen coated seed..

Coated or treated

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

Coated or treated

Coated

If people can remember back to when I stitched my paddocks last year in late sept to not so great conditions. This is them today

oxjkqg wrote: »
    Coated

I used treated seed last year. (The pics are above) and found it good. Now it's not coated.

The thing with Coated seed is that there is less seed in a bag. Normal seed is toughly 11250 seeds per 12kg and coated seed is roughly 7500 seeds per 12kg.

Because of this lads don't like it but some tests claim that you get more seeds striking from coated or treated seeds than you do from "naked" seed per bag even tho there's 30% less seed in it. so it's up to the individual really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

What rate would you need to seed at for stitching in some seem to say 14kg acre and others 12 will be grazing a field off in the next few days have seed ordered but might have enough

Advertisement