Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cold Spell Late Feb/ Early March Technical Discussion only MOD NOTE POST #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Here is what is shown for Saturday morning by the GFS 06Z. Correct me if I'm wrong but this looks like an all snow event in Ireland to me? The South is in -4c uppers while the far north has -6c uppers.

I think you'd usually want upper -8s but the ground and sea temp might move that around, I don't trust the GFS anyway in these situations, think the ECM does do bad weather a lot better. The GFS percip chart is showing snow on land and rain at sea looks marginal there. I'm still going with the ECM and not even thinking about it properly till 96 hours out, worth keeping in mind as the charts progress.

gfs-2-150.png?6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

dacogawa wrote: »
    I think you'd usually want upper -8s but the ground and sea temp might move that around, I don't trust the GFS anyway in these situations, think the ECM does do bad weather a lot better. The GFS percip chart is showing snow on land and rain at sea looks marginal there. I'm still going with the ECM and not even thinking about it properly till 96 hours out, worth keeping in mind as the charts progress.

gfs-2-150.png?6

You need uppers that low for showers. You can have uppers between 0 and -2 and it can still snow during frontal events. Some of our greatest snow events have come from relatively high/marginal uppers. Also dew points are arguably more important, they must be below zero for snow to fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

You need uppers that low for showers. You can have uppers between 0 and -2 and it can still snow during frontal events. Some of our greatest snow events have come from relatively high/marginal uppers. Also dew points are arguably more important, they must be below zero for snow to fall.

Sorry, forgot about the dew points, Sunday morning head :o

Dew points look very marginal here, this would translate to wet snow or sleet when you take into account the relatively cold uppers. Hopefully this system doesn't come this far north!

442800.png

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

My personal opinion is we will see changes in models in the next few run regarding that low on Friday Saturday. I expect to see the low a little future south keeping us in an northeasterly flow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

For some reason all the talk in this thread seems to be about FI time period this morning.

Anyone with fresh thoughts on the <120 hr timeframe??!

Here is the NAVGEM on Saturday morning, at the same time as the GFS above. It is having none of this blizzard, with the South and West in -8 uppers while the east and north are in -6 uppers. Just goes to show that this is far from nailed. (Yes I know the NAVGEM is a poor model but still! )
    442802.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Neddyusa wrote: »
    For some reason all the talk in this thread seems to be about FI time period this morning.

Anyone with fresh thoughts on the <120 hr timeframe??!

The models haven’t really changed in that time period and they can’t model streamers very well, so not must to say really, more a case of radar watching from Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Here is the NAVGEM on Saturday morning, at the same time as the GFS above. It is having none of this blizzard, with the South and West in -8 uppers while the east and north are in -6 uppers. Just goes to show that this is far from nailed. (Yes I know the NAVGEM is a poor model but still! )

I usually trust the ECM and UKMO a bit more than the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

For what it's worth the GFS forecast soundings show snow turning to cold rain overnight Friday and into Saturday for the southeastern third of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This UK Met Office surface chart for Wednesday needs to be archived, so archive it I shall:

bhHjzpB.gif

Beautiful.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

looking at the models (gfs, ecm and ukmo really) this morning they seem to keep ireland in the blue while yesterday they were showing it in the green, much like southern UK is still showing. I'm not sure but would anybody be able to tell me if I am reading it right that it doesn't look as bad/warming as much as it did on yesterdays runs? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Today's 850 hPa temp anomaly analysis (from the GFS) for the 36 hours up to 06z.

mcEPOlH.gif

I am trying to archive as many weather charts from this upcoming spell as possible just to keep them on record, because it is a pattern we sadly don't see very often these days, and may not again for a very long time.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

looking at the models (gfs, ecm and ukmo really) this morning they seem to keep ireland in the blue while yesterday they were showing it in the green, much like southern UK is still showing. I'm not sure but would anybody be able to tell me if I am reading it right that it doesn't look as bad/warming as much as it did on yesterdays runs? thanks

Some of the models may be catching on to the direction of the jet stream and the rigid cold airmass. Also a shift in the prejectory of the low to the east and south will drag more colder air down from the NE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

UKMO Early warning for Thursday's potential. However they note the high uncertainty at this range.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?region=sw&date=2018-03-01&regionType=area
    Chief Forecaster's assessment
    A weather system is expected to move slowly north through Thursday into Friday and has potential to produce widespread snow, accompanied by strong to gale force winds. As less cold air follows from the south, there is a small chance of snow turning to freezing rain bringing an additional ice risk. There is still uncertainty in how this system will develop, but there is a small chance of the combined effects of snow, strong winds and ice leading to severe impacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

I'm no expert but I think there was a slight move south in the last run. Still looks like snow turning to rain on south coast I believe. (Experts feel free to correct me) dew points are not to our advantage either. Yet. It could/will change!

Well if they are starting to move south at this stage it might show some hope, if we could keep the ppn factor of the low by having it not go to south but also keep the cold that would be the best thing to happen, which hopefully the next model runs will start to show rather then pointing the low towards the north

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Today's 850 hPa temp anomaly analysis (from the GFS) for the 36 hours up to 06z.

I am trying to archive as many weather charts from this upcoming spell as possible just to keep them on record, because it is a pattern we sadly don't see very often these days, and may not again for a very long time.

Just be wary about using Imgur for your image archiving purposes - it tends to delete images that aren't viewed more than 1 time every 6 months, so it may lose some stuff on this thread after a couple of years. I believe you can upload to Facebook with "only me" privacy, and then get the Image URL and use it on boards...at least I think so, here's one I made earlier that is "only me" but you should be able to see.

13344730_10154303256537941_150587289863688158_n.jpg?oh=4f9840d6a9ec22f73a8520bba49eddf3&oe=5B0AD712

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

ECM looks promising well into Saturday, then the low seems to split into two seperate lows. While the low has moved southeast on the GFS.

All seems to support the thought that models are simply struggling with all this madness?

How much can lying snow affect other conditions such as air temperatures, and are models good at being able to take this into account?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I don’t suppose the models can model snowfields until they happen. Or am I wrong?

I don’t suppose the models can model snowfields until they happen. Or am I wrong?

Well I figure as they have their own snow depth charts, they should be able to use those in any feedback loop. I'm just wondering what effects lying snow does have, because if we're going to get a fair amount of unmodelled streamers...well you can see where I'm going with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Rougies

MJohnston wrote: »
    Well I figure as they have their own snow depth charts, they should be able to use those in any feedback loop. I'm just wondering what effects lying snow does have, because if we're going to get a fair amount of unmodelled streamers...well you can see where I'm going with that.

Lying snow causes lower temperatures. During the day because it blocks the sun heating the ground, and at night because it blocks heat from the ground warming the air.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The cold march continues....

tempresult_kpj3.gif

442816.png
    442817.png
    The ICON 12Z looks fun during Wednesday night if snow is your thing into Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

The ICON is looking very interesting

icon-1-108.png?25-12

icon-0-102.png?25-12

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Here comes the cold...

tempresult_lzl6.gif

tempresult_gfi0.gif

DP's getting down nice and low.

nmm_uk1-18-36-4_jom3.png

ICON showing significant snow

image.png.8246871d497e7d7838f6b1d3792b4589.png

ICON has the low further south again with the south being plastered in snow for quite a while, this is getting intense it seems!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

MJohnston wrote: »
    How much can lying snow affect other conditions such as air temperatures, and are models good at being able to take this into account?

Yes. Snow fields lead to lower temperatures.

Do you remember january the 10th 2009. If you do, it was time a radio forecaster was memorably heard to utter the following: you can never turn your back on snow? He said that because Met Eireann had forecasted an all rain event everywhere- it wasn't( at least not in the north west), and why it was not was due to wind direction, the angle of attack, and the snowfields, which despite much warmer upper air still had enough cold air lower down to ensure what hit the ground was snow. We had neary 12 hours of blizzard like condition.

I am sure some models depicted what happened accurately, but Met Eireanns did not. So to answer your question, it is possible, if the wind direction is favourable, areas well inland could see all snow even if the uppers are very marginal.

ps i might have got the date wrong, but the point remains accumulated snow, as well as other factors i mentioned can sway things in favour of snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

GFS 12z has a much deeper low approaching the south coast, so even more snow for some potentially.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement