Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

London Marathon 2018

• 26-04-2017 9:49am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Before the 2017 thread gets confused with questions on how to enter the 2018 event I figured it's already time for the new thread even before everyones legs have recovered from this year.

The 2017 incarnation of the thread can be found here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057606172

How to enter London 2018, main methods used by people here in bold:

Elite entry - run superfast and be invited.
    Championship - run sub 1:15 half or sub 2:45 full for men, or sub 1:30 half or sub 3:15 full for women. Must also be a paid up member of a UK Athletics affiliated running club. Not all UK running clubs are affiliated to the correct body.
    Good For Age - run one of the times listed on this page appropriate for your age category and have a UK address. They don't care about nationality, just that you have a UK address and the time. There will be a date, sometime in May probably, that you need to submit your entry by. If you get a place you then get two weeks, normally sometime in June'ish to pay the entry fee. Keep an eye on that page for when the dates are announced, and in case the qualification times change which they have done before.
    Ballot - enter the UK ballot. Again you'll need a UK address, but time doesn't matter. https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/how-to-enter/ballot-entry/
    Ballot must be entered between 1st and 5th May 2017
    International Ballot - enter the overseas ballot. Less places available but worth a punt, you should be able to get away with entering the UK and overseas ballot without being noticed once you have appropriate address details for both entries. Same entry dates, 1st to 5th May.
    Charity - find a charity who has places, convince them you can raise the cash, they give you a place. Will probably be in the region of a couple of thousand pounds you'd need to raise.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The GFA times have been confirmed and I don't see any changes from previous years:

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/how-to-enter/good-age-entry/

Note that the ages groups are a little odd and you need to be 41 to move up an age category, 40 just isn't old enough to be able to claim those extra minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hi,

Just want to ask 2 questions about the ballot options.

For the UK ballot, do you just need a UK address ?

Can you enter the UK ballot and international ballot with two different addresses?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yes and yes.

robinph wrote: »
    Yes and yes.

Thanks alot and I don't need proof of address?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Jesus Christ! Why am I in this thread considering going in for the ballot!? :D

• Advertisement

You will need proof of a UK address for the UK ballot, but nothing needed for the international one. Well nothing that you won't already have without jumping through any extra hoops anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭ooter

As far as i know you only have to provide proof of address if you are successful in the ballot, someone else might clear that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

Any idea of cost going through the Irish sports travel company for the package?

Any idea of cost going through the Irish sports travel company for the package?

Think it was close to 1,000

Think it was close to 1,000

Well Holy God.....London Marathon or Divorce???

• Advertisement

Well Holy God.....London Marathon or Divorce???

New york is better value with that company. Divorce means you will have more training time

New york is better value with that company. Divorce means you will have more training time

NY in November might be an easier sell to herself than London in April!!!

NY in November might be an easier sell to herself than London in April!!!

I went with the tour company and they were top class. Wife enjoyed the shopping after the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

You will need proof of a UK address for the UK ballot, but nothing needed for the international one. Well nothing that you won't already have without jumping through any extra hoops anyway.

What is accepted as a proof of address for a GFA entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Utility bill

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

A bill from an online purchase showing your GB address will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

RubyK wrote: »
    A bill from an online purchase showing your GB address will do.

Wonder if they would believe that I live in the Parcel Motel depot....

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

Email is afternoon from London marathon,

The ballot will open on Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

International Ballot - enter the overseas ballot. Less places available but worth a punt, you should be able to get away with entering the UK and overseas ballot without being noticed once you have appropriate address details for both entries.

Any idea what happens if you're caught entering both ballots? I have a pretty unique surname so not sure if I should take a chance.

Folks sorry if this seems like a stupid question but can I enter the general Ballot with an Irish address does anyone know or is there an overseas option when the ballot opens tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭ooter

Folks sorry if this seems like a stupid question but can I enter the general Ballot with an Irish address does anyone know or is there an overseas option when the ballot opens tomorrow?

There's a UK ballot and an overseas ballot, you can enter the overseas ballot with an Irish address.

Just registered in the overseas ballot, but at no point did it ask me for payment details. The price at the end said £0.00 and I've had the confirmation email that I'm registered.
    Is this right? Do they only ask for your payment details if you get in for the overseas ballot? Pretty sure last year, when I was living in the UK, I had to give them upfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭chinguetti

5th year doing the overseas ballot and they never ask for payment, just details for now and you worry about paying in October if you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭positron

chinguetti wrote: »
    5th year doing the overseas ballot and they never ask for payment, just details for now and you worry about paying in October if you get it.

How many times did you win of these five entries?

Joined overseas ballot myself, I know odds are poor but.. would be thrilled if it comes thru.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭chinguetti

positron wrote: »
    How many times did you win of these five entries?

Joined overseas ballot myself, I know odds are poor but.. would be thrilled if it comes thru.

0 from 5. Under Flora if you entered 5 times and didn't get in, you automatically got in the next year but Virgin don't allow that so i'll keep trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭S.L.F.

I wonder what the stats are for people entering from abroad verses how many places are actually offered.

Thanks.

For the UK ballot you can "donate" your entry fee, pay upfront, get an extra shot at a secondary ballot (but not worth it for that) and they will then send you a running top in October when you don't get a place.

Or if you don't donate your entry fee then you pay nothing now. I guess they don't want international donations as it will cost them more in shipping the tops, so you only have to pay when you get a place.

For the UK ballot you can "donate" your entry fee, pay upfront, get an extra shot at a secondary ballot (but not worth it for that) and they will then send you a running top in October when you don't get a place.

Or if you don't donate your entry fee then you pay nothing now. I guess they don't want international donations as it will cost them more in shipping the tops, so you only have to pay when you get a place.

Thanks. Yeah I donated my fee last year and got the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

Wonder if they would believe that I live in the Parcel Motel depot....

Was thinking along similar lines.

Advertisement