Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shoegaze

• 06-08-2011 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭

Did a search for threads on shoegaze but none existed, so now one does. Over the past few years it's become very much one of my favourite musical styles and best of all as you look deeper into it you just discover more and more great bands.

My Bloody Valentine are the obvious ones of course, you all know them. Just had to get them out of the way first.

The best in my opinion however are Slowdive who are just f**king amazing. Just check out their second album Souvlaki.

Ride were another one of the more popular originals, their debut album Nowhere is amazing. Guitarist Andy Bell is now wasting his talent in Beady Eye.

Pale Saints were an amazing band as well, especially on their first two albums The Comforts of Madness and In Ribbons.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Anything by Swervedriver........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

You might like some more recent shoegaze-y, dreampop stuff too...I felt the Depreciation Guild (split up last year) were really trying to do something interesting with a similar sonic palette, by incorporating chiptune elements into the mix. There are loads of videos on youtube, these two are probably their best-known:

The Depreciation Guild - Blue Lily
    (you might have to skip a crappy ad at the start)

The Depreciation Guild - Dream About Me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Yeah The Depreciation Guild were a pretty good band. Both their albums were really good, In Her Gentle Jaws was slightly more experimental with elements of chiptune while Spirit Youth had melodic pop-hooks to die for. It's a shame they split because I would have loved a third album but I think Kurt Feldman wanted to concentrate on his role in The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart.

With modern shoegaze bands you can't really go wrong with these:

Probably the best shoegaze/dream-pop band of the past 10 years.

A bit of a rip-off of MBV and JAMC I know, but their debut album Colour Trip is just so good.

One of the most amazing songs you will ever hear from one of the most underrated bands of the past 10 years. Amazing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭mosstin

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Did a search for threads on shoegaze but none existed, so now one does. Over the past few years it's become very much one of my favourite musical styles and best of all as you look deeper into it you just discover more and more great bands.

My Bloody Valentine are the obvious ones of course, you all know them. Just had to get them out of the way first.

The best in my opinion however are Slowdive who are just f**king amazing. Just check out their second album Souvlaki.

Ride were another one of the more popular originals, their debut album Nowhere is amazing. Guitarist Andy Bell is now wasting his talent in Beady Eye.

Pale Saints were an amazing band as well, especially on their first two albums The Comforts of Madness and In Ribbons.

Highest recommendation I can make re shoegazing - terrible name for a scene but a step up from the NME's 'Scene That Celebrates Itself' moniker - is Moose. They were lumped in with all of these bands - Chapterhouse, Lush, Slowdive etc but somehow grew out of it and made some beautiful albums long after the scene imploded especially 'XYZ' and 'Honey Bee'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Just listening to Undertow by Warpaint there.
    Bloody good.
    Kinda contemporary dreampop.

• Advertisement

mosstin wrote: »
    Highest recommendation I can make re shoegazing - terrible name for a scene but a step up from the NME's 'Scene That Celebrates Itself' moniker - is Moose. They were lumped in with all of these bands - Chapterhouse, Lush, Slowdive etc but somehow grew out of it and made some beautiful albums long after the scene imploded especially 'XYZ' and 'Honey Bee'.
    Been meaning to get into Moose actually, I kind of put them on the back-burner, but I will check out those albums soon enough. Yeah the UK scene kind of imploded before the mid-90's but quite a few US shoegaze bands started to pop up then, namely Swirlies and Lilys who are both really amazing.

This last song is a reminder of why shoegaze is so amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Steff

I have to give a shoutout to Alcest. One of my favourite bands, and this song in particular just blew me away first time I heard it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Weren’t 'Curve' lumped in with this too? Never really thought they were that 'shoe-gazy' at the time. I remember the first Boo Radley album was very shoe-gazy.
    Loved Ride's debut album and some of the Slowdive stuff and obviously My Bloody Valentine were amazing.
    But at the same time I was relieved when Grunge blew it away.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I need to spend more time digging into shoegaze, most of what I've heard I love but its very little really in terms of albums I own etc.

There have been a few electronica acts over the years that have dipped into shoegaze, Seefeel I would imagine being one of the first really with their 'Quique' album on Warp in 1993 - a lot more ambient and experimental stuff on it but a quality album from start to finish, well worth getting the 'Redux' reissue from 2007 which has a 2nd disc of bonus material...

Seefeel - Filter Dub

http://www.discogs.com/Seefeel-Quique/master/21177

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

• Advertisement

I love Galaxie 500 but I could never really understand why everyone lumps them in with shoegaze, they didn't really have much to do with it. I just see them as a great indie-rock band similar to Yo La Tengo.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rustyregan

Maybe it's more "dream pop" but how and ever:

Uploaded the Damon & Naomi just now. Also, tried to upload some On! Air! Library! ("For No One") but no joy due to licencing issues or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

This was an absolute belter by The Boo Radleys:

Probably the last real shoegazery song Ride did. The rest of their second album was an awkward mix that didn't really gel. The guitars are beautiful on this:

Lush have some lovely songs in their time:

And what was being created in Ireland at the time:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭cinnamon girl

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Yeah the UK scene kind of imploded before the mid-90's but quite a few US shoegaze bands started to pop up then, namely Swirlies and Lilys who are both really amazing.

Lilys began in the early '90s, I saw them a few times when I was living in DC in '91-'92. Great band. Velocity Girl were another DC band who were very good and shoegazey to start with, although they went a lot more mainstream after changing their singer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Re - Ride.

I loved Ride from the start (Buttery and McGonagles killer gigs), reckoned that Nowhere was a enduring LP of the shoegaze era and was thrilled to discover the slight change of direction on Going Blank Again. Carnival of Light was a revelation though. I bought it during the World Cup in 1994 and took a few days break from my summer job to head west for a short trip. Best laid plans meant that I forgot to bring a bunch of tapes with me aside from a taped from LP copy of Carnival of Light that was stuck in the Walkman. So with no other music for a week I got stuck in. It's a pleasant jangly 60s trip that wears a bunch of influences firmly in its grooves. Not much else released in 1994 sounded like this and from Carnival of Light I decided to check out The Creation...

indiewindy wrote: »

Galaxie 500 had nothing to do with what was termed shoegaze.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

Curve - Super Blaster http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh25cWav6Xs

The Cranes - Tomorrow's tears http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q77v7AyHVKI

Lush - DeLuxe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCvhc2gRBM4

One of the best "shoegaze" track IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

A modern-ish one. Not even shoegaze, but it has that dreamy vocal style. I love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SDPG_LOM0w

A shoegaze band with a flute player anyone? Blind Mr. Jones were jokingly dubbed the "Jethro Tull of shoegaze" by the media in the early 90's, but they have some solid guitars to back it up. Their 1992 album Stereo Musicale is a must have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

All this shoegaze reminds me so much of this movie.

• Advertisement

DeadMoney wrote: »
    All this shoegaze reminds me so much of this movie.

Article about that here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/aug/06/gregg-araki-kaboom-shoegazing. I've never actually seen any of his movies. Worth checking out..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Always thought that the 'shoegaze' tag very quickly became a stick to beat the scene with. Was it NME that invented the term?

Always thought that the 'shoegaze' tag very quickly became a stick to beat the scene with. Was it NME that invented the term?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it was shoegazing back in the early 90s and the name changed to shoegaze with the second wave. This could well be imagination/faulty memory on my part.

Has anyone mentioned Amusement Parks On Fire? Very good album from 2005. Probably edges towards the more punk/Swervedriver end of things.

This is pretty cool too, a kinda garagey take on it. Wasn't entirely convinced by the album this is off, but sweet tune:

Was it NME that invented the term?

There are a few stories about this, but the one that seems to have the most traction is that it was invented by Andy Ross of Food Records after attending a Moose gig which the singer spent looking at lyrics taped to the floor.

Re: shoegazing, shoegaze, etc, I can't remember exactly when which was used but I do have a clear memory of one member of the Lilys back in '91 or '92 looking at a photo I'd taken of them onstage and saying, "Yep, we're the shoegazers".

A few other DC bands from that era if anyone's interested

Galaxie 500 had nothing to do with what was termed shoegaze.

I don't disagree, but what they were doing wasn't exactly a million miles away from shoegaze, either. In fact I'd argue it was closer to the sort of classic shoegaze sound than Pale Saints were.

20 years on it's reasonable to mention them in a discussion of shoegaze IMHO.

I don't disagree, but what they were doing wasn't exactly a million miles away from shoegaze, either. In fact I'd argue it was closer to the sort of classic shoegaze sound than Pale Saints were.

20 years on it's reasonable to mention them in a discussion of shoegaze IMHO.

Oh Christ no. For me much of the 'shoegaze' scene was merely a journalistic construct when there was very little else happening. They - the NME and Melody Maker in particular - lumped together several younger, generally London-based bands trying their best to create some form of excitement. Then Suede came along and they didn't need them anymore. Like most scenes, much of what was lumped in with the scene was drivel anyway in the same way as drivel such as Northside and Flowered Up were lumped in with the Baggy/Madchester thing.
    Galaxie 500 however were just a three college kids who formed a unique band happy to make beautiful, Velvet Underground inspired music. The other thing is that G500 came before shoegaze and it's only been in the past decade or so that there's been a critical appreciation of their legacy. For all things Galaxie 500 related, you can't go wrong with this guy below who is rather pleasingly obsessed.

Oh Christ no. For me much of the 'shoegaze' scene was merely a journalistic construct when there was very little else happening. They - the NME and Melody Maker in particular - lumped together several younger, generally London-based bands trying their best to create some form of excitement. Then Suede came along and they didn't need them anymore. Like most scenes, much of what was lumped in with the scene was drivel anyway in the same way as drivel such as Northside and Flowered Up were lumped in with the Baggy/Madchester thing.
    Galaxie 500 however were just a three college kids who formed a unique band happy to make beautiful, Velvet Underground inspired music. The other thing is that G500 came before shoegaze and it's only been in the past decade or so that there's been a critical appreciation of their legacy. For all things Galaxie 500 related, you can't go wrong with this guy below who is rather pleasingly obsessed.

They would have been proto-shoegaze, wouldn't they? Like Jesus & Mary Chain, early My Bloody Valentine, Cocteau Twins, The Cure and any other soundscape warriors. It's all good stuff anyway.

Did anyone go to the Dean Wareham does Galaxie 500 gig in the Working Mans' club? Was very good indeed. Pity no reunion though. I think that one's definitely out.

Oh Christ no. For me much of the 'shoegaze' scene was merely a journalistic construct when there was very little else happening. ...
    Galaxie 500 however were just a three college kids who formed a unique band happy to make beautiful, Velvet Underground inspired music.

That's why I said "20 years on". We can all reminisce about what was or wasn't part of the scene back then - I'm certainly doing enough of that :) - but "scenes" become irrelevant with time and what's left is the recorded output. To someone listening to that output today, with no knowledge of who were or weren't scenesters, I think musically they would find Galaxie 500 a fairly comfortable fit - more so than a lot of Pale Saints' output or even Moose's even though they were supposedly the original "shoegaze" band.

That doesn't make Galaxie 500 shoegazers, but it does make them relevant to a thread about shoegazers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 BiffRifkin

Don't wanna argue the genre, just want to give a shout out to one of my favorite shoegaze bands, Film School. Even though their 2010 Fission seemed to be less shoegazey, featuring Lorelei Plotcyz on vocals a bit more, Still Might and Sunny Day are both quite enjoyable.

Activated (from Alwaysnever), an obsure song from an obscure album, remains one of my all time favorites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

rustyregan wrote: »
    Did anyone go to the Dean Wareham does Galaxie 500 gig in the Working Mans' club? Was very good indeed. Pity no reunion though. I think that one's definitely out.

I was at that gig, it was excellent, nearly fullv in a nice venue, got all the classics, didnt like the clown heckler at the back though. Picked up his book black postcards after the gig, one of the best music autobiographies that I have read. Wouldnt hold out any hope of a reunion

Advertisement