Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tracing family in cork questions...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

Thanks Pinkypinky...

Yes all grandparents just too young for census, but have found possibles for their parents....

My Paternal grandfather has a DOB of 7th Dec 1921 in Cork
    This one is the closest one that I've found to it, https://www.familysearch.org/search/recordDetails/show?uri=https://api.familysearch.org/records/pal:/MM9.1.r/MNSZ-LLV/p1 given that he was a dec birth possibly not registered until Jan, but again we've got the whole O thing that I know has come up in conversation in the family that it wasn't there for a while then it came back again...

My Paternal Grandmother is a bit unsure because no one knows where she came from only that she ended up living in the same locality as to where she ended up bringing up her own family with a family she considered her her family, but all kids born after her and the woman of the house wasn't married when my GM was born, but we do have a fathers name listed on her marriage cert, I've hit zero with her but I assume she may have had another name at birth possibly and changed it herself later on, anyway she was born 6th May 1926 and this is the record I used to get her marriage record https://www.familysearch.org/search/recordDetails/show?uri=https://api.familysearch.org/records/pal:/MM9.1.r/MFPM-FHL/p1

My Maternal grandmother I have gotten a Result with a birth record, right name for father but the O again, they both have it on the birth cert and then it's not there for the marriage cert, the address I'm not sure on either, but it's highly possible that it's right because it's in cork city centre
    She has a DOB of Nov 22/23rd 1912 in Cork City, I used the link you gave earlier in the thread for her Marriage cert https://www.familysearch.org/search/recordDetails/show?uri=https://api.familysearch.org/records/pal:/MM9.1.r/MFGN-746/p1
    and this is what I got https://www.familysearch.org/search/recordDetails/show?uri=https://api.familysearch.org/records/pal:/MM9.1.r/MN99-V4H/p1 and it has a DOB of Nov 22nd, fathers name as Daniel O Shea, Fathers name on Marriage Cert is Daniel Shea with the right address on that for them both..

Maternal Grandfather we now have a name for his father, plus an address but on looking at guys almanac for that area it seems there are a few houses in an area at that time, I don't have a mothers name for his but we do have a rough idea of his DOB being May 1915 my mother said he was about 49 when he died in May 1964 but again I wouldn't be entirely convinced she was right about his age either so could be a year or two out..

I have looked at the census and found a variation of 15 years in age between one person in 1901 and 1911 so I'd imagine age is a big variable in all of these things!

I'm going find out what church would have been the parish church for my Maternal grandparents area as it might have baptismal records for that time and we might get a birth cert...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'll do some digging when I get a chance and see what I can find. Have you considered ordering your grandparents deaths certs (if you don't have them already) because there'd be ages - which may of course not be entirely accurate but would be another clue.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yes I was considering their death certs next along with seeing if just having their Dates of births along with possible maiden names for their mothers aswell..

I need to actually put it all together now the parts that are catching me and decided what to do, I was talking to my dad earlier about it and we feel that there must be some connection between the woman who took my nan in because when my nan was born she neither had kids herself or was married from what I can make out of records for her own kids and a possible marriage, not sure how common it was for someone to actually go and adopt a child of possibly 4 or 5 years of age maybe even older when they were just starting their own family, and the general knowledge is that my nan was in an orphange in Passage west in Cork, so her birth cert if it's there might hold some clues or none at all but we feel either way it will tell if she was orphaned or some other sort of story, no matter what its provide constant entertainment for us all....

Another question...

I decided to start cross referencing marriages between Jeremiah O Sullivans and anyone else who got married at that time, year by year, so I've come across a record for a Jeremiah O Sullivan and Kate O Leary that match up, am I right is saying there wouldn't be another match for that year so I could go on to the next year???

Well, there's a small possibility that another couple with those names also got married in the same year in the same location but you're probably safe enough.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Thanks pinky

I've found matches in both 1910 and 1911 now so I'll keep going for another few years....

Can I ask for some guidance on this whole family thing!!!

Firstly

I've found out my mothers paternal grandmothers name, I got lucky with a birth cert for an uncle of my mothers and we found out her name was Ellen O Sullivan, so she was an O Sullivan and married an O Sullivan!

Secondly

I got a birth cert for a possible aunt of my mothers (her mothers sister), her DOB is as my mother said it was, fathers name is right, mothers name is Kate on one and Catherine on the other, and address is different on both too, but not too far from each other, so question is how would I go about verifying they are sisters, anyone any ideas??

Thirdly

Working my way through my In Laws and I think I've found a possible marriage between my Mother in laws grand parents but its in kerry, they do have kerry links, census records show them married with 2 kids in killarney, but they lived in cork when my mother in laws father was born, so any tips on how I'd work back to them to verify them??

1) They may well have been related to each other but then again Cork is full of O'Sullivans.

Q2: There's not much difference between Kate & Catherine, though. Are they too young for the census? You can check the baptismal records, if we're talking post 1920s, they'll still be with the church, but they'd probably let you look or check for you if ask nicely! Also, what about electoral registers for later on? Remember that people had to be 21 to vote until the 1970s.

Q3:
    I need more info - can you show a census link? What date do you have them in each county?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Q2

We're talking 1913 and 1917 for my GM and her sister, if I could verify my GM's mothers name I'd be able to try to get their marriage cert, there is one more sister but she's a Mary O Shea so a lot of them but I know she was born between the 2 above so I may be able to narrow them down enough.. I can place my GM' father in the house my mother was born in, in 1945 and he's not there in 1920 so I know that this wasn't always his address..

When did electoral registers start??

Q3

I consulted with an uncle of my husbands last night about this side of the family and between us we came up with a time line his father was the youngest of 9 born in 1930, I've gotten his birth cert and it verifys his parents names, I then found a marriage record for both parents in killarney in 1907
    Nora Coffey which I think is this one https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.2/MF22-QDN/p1
    and Thomas Walsh https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.2/MF2K-BFK/p1

and this census record for 1911, which I think is the couple above anyway but I think very likely my husbands family, because the 2 kids listed would be the right names for the first 2 kids aswell
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Kerry/Killarney_Urban/Well_Lane__South_/288193/

The story with the family is that the mother Nora was from possibly Killorglin, father was meant to have been from the travelling community but settled when he met this woman and they lived in cork, I've gotten all the kids names along with the married names of the women, and I know also now where most of them were buried so I'm going to take a trip to see if I can get ages for them all to see if they match up roughly with these people above, according to my husbands uncle there is a very strong match because he gave me ages of some of his uncles and aunts before I found these census records so again I need to verify ages of all of the kids to see if they match up but I do think it's the right record...

Meant to ask this question too, again in the same family there was a woman who was known as a sister rather than a niece, it was one my husbands GF's sisters who was her mother, but she was brought up as his sister and his sister (the woman who had given birth to this woman) went off to england, so in terms of registering the birth would it have been the actual mother or the woman who brought her up as her mother, this girl is still alive and never knew when she was born, I've found 2 possible birth records for her but figured I'd check if there was a certain way these things were done in terms of names on the certs...

• Advertisement

We're talking 1913 and 1917 for my GM and her sister, if I could verify my GM's mothers name I'd be able to try to get their marriage cert, there is one more sister but she's a Mary O Shea so a lot of them but I know she was born between the 2 above so I may be able to narrow them down enough.. I can place my GM' father in the house my mother was born in, in 1945 and he's not there in 1920 so I know that this wasn't always his address..

Why aren't you looking for your grandmother's birth cert here? Is it too common a name?

Re: the grandchild brought up as a child, I just don't know. Get both certs. If I were to guess, I'd say it's correct on the cert...neighbours wouldn't have seen it so no reason to lie.

Re: Kerry people - it looks like a good match. I wouldn't be in a hurry to go to graveyards unless you have been told there's a headstone. He's a general labourer - probably wouldn't have been money for headstones.

Genealogy Forum Mod

yes i've gotten a birth cert for my GM it's the right DOB on it, right father, same with her sister, it's the different address that keeps niggling at me that while they look like they are the sisters they may not be either.. On researching the familysearch website again though there is no other record for either an Anne O Shea/Ann Shea/ Anne Shea or Ann O shea, that matches my GM's DOB so I'd say I'm right with it.......

I think I'll order those birth certs to see what they hold...

My husbands uncle knew most of his uncles and aunts from his fathers side and was an adult himself when most of them died, he said he knows that most of them are buried in the graveyard he told me about and he gave me the family names as most aren't in their own grave but one of someone else, it's not out of the way either so wouldn't be too much of a hassle to visit it! If can get some rough ages from headstones it might give a stronger link to the census record..

Advertisement