Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Registry of Deeds Archives - tours

• 24-08-2011 8:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭

Saw this advertised on the 'Heritage Week' site. Possibly more architectural than genealogical, but could be worth a visit.
    P.
    http://www.heritageweek.ie/index.php/whats-on/event-search/

Registry Of Deeds Archives
    Event Description: Registry of Deeds has over 5 million records of land transactions dating from 1708. Tour also includes display of Memorials of famous public figures. Archives housed in the south wing of King's Inns, which is the 3rd and last of the great Gandon major public buildings. It is the only one of his buildings not to have been destroyed and reconstructed during its lifetime.
    Date & Times
    22 August : 10:00 - 15:30
    23 August : 10:00 - 15:30
    24 August : 10:00 - 15:30
    25 August : 10:00 - 15:30
    26 August : 10:00 - 15:30
    Admission: Free but places limited so booking by email or phone essential

Event Organiser/Organisation: Registry of Deeds
    Venue: Registry of Deeds
    Henrietta Street, Dublin 1.
    Dublin City
    Access Details
    Suitable for Children: No
    Wheelchair Access: Partial
    Car parking Available: No
    Any Other Details: 3 one hourly tours daily, at 10am, 11.30am and 2.30pm
    Event Category: Archives
    Type:Indoors
    Organiser Name: Daire Guidera
    Contact Address: As below
    Email: daire.guidera@prai.ie
    Telephone: 01 8716518
    Fax: 01 8716535

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I did this tour last year during heritage week.
    It was really worthwhile to see how it all works.

However, I did feel terribly sorry for our nice guide (an ordinary civil servant who works there) when she asked if people had questions and this woman puts up her hand to ask "yes, what does the national archives have?" :confused:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I was in there for research recently - love the place. Expected to see old Scrooge sitting at his desk with a quill pen. That's not to say that the place is not modernised, it is, but the smell of the books just caught my imagination!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭30Min

I went on this. It was really good. I didnt even know the place existed :(.

Advertisement