Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Talc , heard it today, asked the person to spell it. claims it is an old gaelic word meaning pillar or some ****

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I like Irish names but names like Feilimíd, Nollaig and Breffni are a bit too much for me

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭TM2015

Have met 2 brothers, Bobby and Kennedy. Why?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Archeron

Talc , heard it today, asked the person to spell it. claims it is an old gaelic word meaning pillar or some ****

I hope he's related to Timotei. If they go missing in the supermarket, you should find them both in the same aisle.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,216 ✭✭✭✭Penn

From Reddit:

Am I The Asshole for wanting to name my daughter after a Star Wars character?
    Throwaway, of course, since we are 99% set on the name and don’t need my child’s name tied to my Reddit history.

My wife and I are huge fans of the Star Wars movies. Huge. We met while camping out for the premiere of The Force Awakens. Our spark was instant, and just a year later, I proposed with a ring hanging from the arm of a Rey Funko figure and she said yes.

Everything about us is Star Wars, and I mean everything from what we watch, to what we play, to our home decor. Our friends think we are a bit nutty but have always respected it until my wife got pregnant and we shared the name we wanted when we found out we are having a girl.

Captain-Phasma. The whole name, like Mary-Kate.

She’s due in 6 weeks, and once we announced the name on a Zoom meeting with our family and closest friends, they went from being happy and excited to appalled. They think we are messing up the child for this.

My wife and I were both bullied as kids, including myself for having a name associated with a girl (example: Jordan), and we think a strong name would make other kids in awe of our daughter. Especially once you have the tie-in to Gwendolyn Christie, who is basically a warrior. Our daughter should be both respected and feared.

My parents are begging us to consider naming our girl Gwendolyn or Brienne even (for Christie’s Game of Thrones character). Honestly it’s a sore point with my wife and me because she watched the show behind my back, and it bothers me. And my parents know this. So I definitely would not consent to naming her Brienne, even though I respect Christie and her talents in the clips I’ve seen.

So AITA (or are we the asshole) for wanting to name our daughter after a strong female character from our favorite movies? I feel like between Star Wars being where we got our start and our lives basically that it shouldn’t be so bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

Just came across this thread - definitely laughing out loud material. I recall the BBC sit-com "Me Mammy", written by Hugh Leonard, and the young female character called Concepta - she was pregnant. She denied it and claimed she'd been eating new bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Really? You'd weep for society after reading a few pages...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

Really? You'd weep for society after reading a few pages...
    Well.....yes.
    Some of them were funny though, unintentionally of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Obviously from Irish Freemason stock.

Tyler, Mason, Roslyn are also masonic names that have become common place without the public realising it. Deacon, Warden and Worshipful Master also as of yet have to be realised.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Obviously from Irish Freemason stock.

Tyler, Mason, Roslyn are also masonic names that have become common place without the public realising it. Deacon, Warden and Worshipful Master also as of yet have to be realised.

Nothing wrong with “Masonic” names, the normal ones, like the ones listed above, anyway.

Too many people let their “imagination” run away with themselves after reading too many Dan Brown books, when it comes to Freemasonry.

It’s just like any other meeting “group”, these days. Their charitable works, which is what their main focus has been on for a long time now, often go unnoticed and unsung.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with “Masonic” names, the normal ones, like the ones listed above, anyway.

Too many people let their “imagination” run away with themselves after reading too many Dan Brown books, when it comes to Freemasonry.

It’s just like any other meeting “group”, these days. Their charitable works, which is what their main focus has been on for a long time now, often go unnoticed and unsung.

The problem is everyone is using them. I believe your name should be chosen from some ancestor predecessor or something in you linage. The problem with that theory is that then everyone would have been called Ugg or the female Ugge.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tyler? Mason? Total knack-bag names.

Life ain't always empty.

Tyler? Mason? Total knack-bag names.

Now they are, long ago those names actually meant something. They were name that had something to live up to. When you were given a name it carried weight and you aspired to maintain that name. I used to love the name Mercedes, after the Count of Monte Cristo, now? not so much

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Anus McNulty

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

JJayoo wrote: »
    Anus McNulty

wasnt he a presenter on kids tv on RTE in the 80's

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    wasnt he a presenter on kids tv on RTE in the 80's

You are thinking of Dr Aidan McNulty or Angeus McAnally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Just read an article about a mum of 16 kids... Christ, the names!! Attached...

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

Bridger :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Luke really lucked out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Must have taken her ages to come up with the alternative spellings . Luke is the lucky one there .!!Journee !!! Really ?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Bob Gray

And Ledger, either a nod to the actor or affirming her love of bookkeeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Bob Gray wrote: »
    And Ledger, either a nod to the actor or affirming her love of bookkeeping.

Based on the litter of pups she’s had and the list of terrible names I’d imagine it’s the actor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Based on the litter of pups she’s had and the list of terrible names I’d imagine it’s the actor :)

I’m only dissappointed there was no wee-wee.

Luke got lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

She needs her VaaGee sewn up, NOW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

Kilron. Always made me think they wanted to kill someone named Ron.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Bellend McManus

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

The Radford family in the UK have 22 kids, their names aren’t bad but they obviously ran out of inspiration half way through cause a lot of the girls names rhyme and sound similar. I’d still rather their names than Bridger & Ledger though :pac:
    Their eldest is 31 and their youngest is just a few months old :eek:

Chris
    Sophie
    Chloe
    Jack
    Daniel
    Luke
    Millie
    Katie
    James
    Ellie
    Aimee
    Josh
    Max
    Tillie
    Oscar
    Casper
    Hallie
    Alfie
    Phoebe
    Archie
    Bonnie
    Heidi

SusieBlue wrote: »
    The Radford family in the UK have 22 kids, their names aren’t bad but they obviously ran out of inspiration half way through cause a lot of the girls names rhyme and sound similar. I’d still rather their names than Bridger & Ledger though :pac:
    Their eldest is 31 and their youngest is just a few months old :eek:

Chris
    Sophie
    Chloe
    Jack
    Daniel
    Luke
    Millie
    Katie
    James
    Ellie
    Aimee
    Josh
    Max
    Tillie
    Oscar
    Casper
    Hallie
    Alfie
    Phoebe
    Archie
    Bonnie
    Heidi

If this was on "The Savage Eye" they would have Mick the Bull, the barman of the year commenting "how did they get a days work done with all the ridin'?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Two new baby boys I saw on Insta (regular Irish mammies)

Jasper-Wren
    Rupert-Wren

Where the hell did this come from
    They're not related at all, so it must be a thing. What kind of thing is beyond me.

Advertisement