Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish brand recommendations.

Options
  • 18-04-2020 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭

Im trying to support local brands and companies during the lockdown. My problem is I cant find any, or atleast cant find any id want to buy from. I found loads of beautiful online clothes and jewelry shops from the UK, US and all over the EU but the few Irish ones ive come across, jewelry is boring or gaudy and clothes are frumpy, old fashioned, styled for events like weddings, or too dressy and not suitable for everyday wear.
    Im probably not looking in the right places, maybe its just me but Irish companies seem to be very badly advertised, ive been searching the internet for a few weeks and have come across nothing.

Can anyone recommend some Irish jewelry, fashion or accessory shops please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

One I know of is Lucy Nagle, does lovely knitwear. I also got earrings from jewellery designer in the north, lines and current. They are strong on sustainability.

Great idea for a thread

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

There is very little Irish made clothing, especially for casual items.

Is there an international brand of jewelry or accessories that you like, maybe people could point you the way of something in your style then?

Personally I like MoMuse jewelry, I have a ring from them https://www.momuse.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Thanks everyone for the great ideas, if you can think of more, please add them to the thread.
    @Twee im really liking https://daya-jewelry.com/ theyre a Dutch brand I think? The prices are great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ennione

Im trying to support local brands and companies during the lockdown. My problem is I cant find any, or atleast cant find any id want to buy from. I found loads of beautiful online clothes and jewelry shops from the UK, US and all over the EU but the few Irish ones ive come across, jewelry is boring or gaudy and clothes are frumpy, old fashioned, styled for events like weddings, or too dressy and not suitable for everyday wear.
    Im probably not looking in the right places, maybe its just me but Irish companies seem to be very badly advertised, ive been searching the internet for a few weeks and have come across nothing.

Can anyone recommend some Irish jewelry, fashion or accessory shops please?

Absolutejewellery.ie
    Newbridgesilverware.com
    Thecatandthemoon.ie
    Bettyandbiddy.com

All Irish companies varying from costume to handmade silver and gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

MoMuse, Chupi and Juvi are all nice Irish jewellery brands.

I too am trying to order more from Irish brands but obvious that only works if I can find things I want to buy.

I've ordered my few beauty bits from cloud10 (based in Monaghan AFAIK) and they even have hand sanitizer!

Also certain Instagramers are doing shoutouts for small Irish businesses such as Courtney Smith and Sinead from the Beautiful Truth, so maybe keep an eye on them?

As others have said, not a lot of clothing manufacture happens in Ireland, but you can still support Irish retailers where possible. The above influencers have been working with an app called Bizzu which is working with independent boutiques to enable them to sell online.

Finally I've found it easier in other areas to buy Irish and it all matters. I'm shopping for my household and my parents and have been including Irish craft beers, these pizza bases (https://pizzadapiero.ie/) and we finished off a bottle of gin recently (Tanquary) but I made a point to buy Dingle gin to replace it.

I think its a great idea if we can all make small efforts to buy more irish products.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I've been keeping my local brewery in great business :pac:

Etsy is a good one, you can filter the search to only include sellers from Ireland. Some are selling their own wares and some are resellers so not everything is made in Ireland, but they're businesses based here.

Thanks for the info. I heard an Ad for Bizzu on the radio, but I didn't know how they were spelling it. I did a search online, but I cannot find it. I've tried several different spelling but no luck, so if you have a link please send it on. I thought it was funny that they chose a name that needs to be spelled out. It probably works better on Digital advertising. Anyhow, the idea sounds good.

Lisa's Lust List is a great woman for championing Irish businesses, so she might have some good options.

I think we all need to learn that we do have to pay a bit more if we want Irish clothes, because the reality is, the people who make cheap clothes are paid buttons. This isolation period, without shops is helping me realise I don't need most of the stuff I buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It’s Bezzu. They’ve been running a competition on the radio all week and the presenters have had to spell it out every time.

It’s Bezzu. They’ve been running a competition on the radio all week and the presenters have had to spell it out every time.

Thank you. I think it's a poor name choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Ennione wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I heard an Ad for Bizzu on the radio, but I didn't know how they were spelling it. I did a search online, but I cannot find it. I've tried several different spelling but no luck, so if you have a link please send it on. I thought it was funny that they chose a name that needs to be spelled out. It probably works better on Digital advertising. Anyhow, the idea sounds good.

Lisa's Lust List is a great woman for championing Irish businesses, so she might have some good options.

I think we all need to learn that we do have to pay a bit more if we want Irish clothes, because the reality is, the people who make cheap clothes are paid buttons. This isolation period, without shops is helping me realise I don't need most of the stuff I buy.

RE list lust lust...most of what she plugs she has involvement in. She bern shown up bigtime on social media lately

• Advertisement

O i saw something similar on another website. Great idea to get a list going to support Irish companies..not just at christmas but all year around..V hard to find irish clothing brands. Follow Muireann O Connell on Instagram she v good at showing Irish brands
    These are the companies we will turn to for fundraising for our local clubs societies and schools.. Im trying not to use the likes of Amazon. As well as how they treated warehouse staff during lockdown a channel four programm opened my eyes to the amount of fakes on the site

A few Irish companies mentioned were

•Skinformulas.ie. only a couple of years old
    •Tadgh o flynn jewellers in Ennis and Nenagh. Good on line shop and do custommade pieces too.
    • lisadorajewels.com
    • Love Cherish in County Cork..Even before covid had a good online presence both ladies occassion and casual
    •Gympluscoffe
    • Bourke sport
    • Cummins sport in Cork have a good range of brands on their website
    • Lifestyle sport.. v efficent delivery and also a shopping partner of Supervalu where you can earn SV points from then

I was making up a couple baby hampers for friends during lockdown and came accross babybossonline.com. Company based in Mayo and when I got the package a lovely thank you note for my custom.. small touches like that are lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Just discovered 'The Hidden Gem' recently, they do really nice jewellery.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I know it's not fashion but my wife's friend has a pottery company called 'Brookwood Pottery'.

She is based over beside the omni shopping centre and stocks a wide range of her own pottery and other irish designers craft, jewelry etc.

Thanks for any support.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

O i saw something similar on another website. Great idea to get a list going to support Irish companies..not just at christmas but all year around..V hard to find irish clothing brands. Follow Muireann O Connell on Instagram she v good at showing Irish brands
    These are the companies we will turn to for fundraising for our local clubs societies and schools.. Im trying not to use the likes of Amazon. As well as how they treated warehouse staff during lockdown a channel four programm opened my eyes to the amount of fakes on the site

A few Irish companies mentioned were

•Skinformulas.ie. only a couple of years old
    •Tadgh o flynn jewellers in Ennis and Nenagh. Good on line shop and do custommade pieces too.
    • lisadorajewels.com
    • Love Cherish in County Cork..Even before covid had a good online presence both ladies occassion and casual
    •Gympluscoffe
    • Bourke sport
    • Cummins sport in Cork have a good range of brands on their website
    • Lifestyle sport.. v efficent delivery and also a shopping partner of Supervalu where you can earn SV points from then

I was making up a couple baby hampers for friends during lockdown and came accross babybossonline.com. Company based in Mayo and when I got the package a lovely thank you note for my custom.. small touches like that are lovely.

This is a really good point about local sponsorship. I'm involved in a lot of community groups and the local shops are wonderful. They can't support us unless we support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I don't really respect Irish brands for clothes or beauty. I think the only ones that are any use are really expensive irish designers or something.

I don't think we have the same fashion culture as they do in france or the uk. Also we don't have the manufacturing textile power they do in other countries.

So i don't know of any.

In fact I am even finding over the last few years that our choice of clothes in any brand here in this country just seems limited. Its hard to get clothes that are nice. And lots of boutiques/shops are closing.

Yes the choice of clothes in Ireland is gone v bad and worse now Oasis & Debenhams are gone. Any Irish designs are quite expensive for many. But if people come accross any or decent Irish owned shops post them here

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭LilacNails

For jewellery.... Bláthnid Ennis in Wexford. She has beautiful hand made pieces. She has an account on Instagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I love this little shop, some items are made by the owner (no affiliation other than shopping there)
    https://qplusd.com/

Advertisement