Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos RIP thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Soarer wrote: »
    I wouldn't have left it until tomorrow.

If they realise there's a mistake, they mightn't sell it to you.

Finally got to pick up my hairdryer, it wasn't a mistake, but the price has gone up today to 81.24! A few came available over the past few nights, due to people not picking them up.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6345381.htm?_$ja=tsid%3A30390%7Cprd%3A7708057

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭aidz

Reserved an item on Tuesday
    Picked it up on Wednesday, but had to pay at a higher price as the item had increased. Argued about it for a few mins to no avail. It was minimal increase, but more the principal.
    It will put me off reserving items as have to travel to collect these and feel they are not honouring their reserve price when ordered.

Taking this further, I returned an item i previously bought and was refunded the amount i paid. This item had also increased in price on the day i returned it. Using the same principal, Argos could refund me the higher amount :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

aidz wrote: »
    Reserved an item on Tuesday
    Picked it up on Wednesday, but had to pay at a higher price as the item had increased. Argued about it for a few mins to no avail. It was minimal increase, but more the principal.

Taking this further, I returned an item i previously bought and was refunded the amount i paid. This item had also increased in price on the day i returned it. Using the same principal, Argos could refund me the higher amount :)

You argued about a minimal increase ? Argos 99.99% honour the price on the reservation email - but they don't have to , and if its a minimal difference I am not sure what the complaint is other that tough luck ?

Your second point makes no logical sense at all, it is not the same principal - in the first case they had offered something you could, but had not yet purchases. In the other they returned in full the money you pad when you purchased something - you really really think the follow on from one stance is they should refund you more than you paid ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭ Kailey Old Instep

That's a pain. You would really need to collect items the same day you reserve then to protect against price increases. I would often reserve items in the evening time at home and collect the next day during lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

That's a pain. You would really need to collect items the same day you reserve then to protect against price increases. I would often reserve items in the evening time at home and collect the next day during lunch.

Seems like the collection is at least the day after you reserve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

They don't make you drive a fair bit to collect. That's your choice not their premeditated plan to fool you.

Well yes they physically don't come with a shotgun and threaten to kill my family if I don't collect :rolleyes:

But the point still stands.
    If say DID advertise a telly on sale with X discount, you rang up and reserve... then drove to collect. What price should you expect to pay?

Look I know that there's 'invitation to treet' and all that. I'm not saying it's illegal or false advertising... I'm just saying it's sharp practise.

Actually I think it might be false advertising if it's done on a consistent basis. Saying it's an error once is ok but time after time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭Kat1170

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Kat1170 wrote: »

Don't think so, haven't seen generic tassimo pods anywhere.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

No

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

sunny2004 wrote: »
    You're incorrect or didn't understand what I was replying to, it isn't their policy to make you pay the price on the day of collection. In the case of reserved items you pay the reserved price, if on the day the system shows a higher price, which is often then it's at their discretion. Otherwise the prices regarding discounts simply wouldn't work. We are not talking about pricing errors here.
    So in simply terms my statement is correct, please re-read what I quoted. Thanks.

I did understand what you said.
    Argos were bought out by Sainsburys- and there were instructions issued to branches regarding reservations and prices.
    Whereas in the past they almost universally honored the prices indicated at reservations- and think of some of the wonderful offers we got here in this forum- there was at least one 55" AMOLED TV, 2 different Nikon cameras- and other goodies- that we salivated over in this forum.
    These- 'price reservations' as viewed by customers or increasingly 'errors' as deemed by Argos- no longer count towards anything- and the price charged at collection- is the price on the system on the day- and not the reserved price.

There has been a change in how they handle these type situations- brought about in a large part by the sale of Argos to Sainsburys.

This is also behind the recent test trials of fresh food collections in some Dublin based Argos branches (stocked out of NI). Apparently- it wasn't nearly as successful as had been hoped, but hasn't been ruled out for future trials in other areas.

• Advertisement

These- 'price reservations' as viewed by customers or increasingly 'errors' as deemed by Argos- no longer count towards anything- and the price charged at collection- is the price on the system on the day- and not the reserved price..

I went to pickup up a hairdryer reserved at 9.99, and when I put my card in the reservation machine it wanted $84, I just went to customer service who made a price over ride and charged me 9.99, I haven't noticed anything different at my argos, even when buying at ridiculous prices.

This was during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Argos were bought out by Sainsburys- and there were instructions issued to branches regarding reservations and prices.
    Whereas in the past they almost universally honored the prices indicated at reservations- and think of some of the wonderful offers we got here in this forum- there was at least one 55" AMOLED TV, 2 different Nikon cameras- and other goodies- that we salivated over in this forum.
    These- 'price reservations' as viewed by customers or increasingly 'errors' as deemed by Argos- no longer count towards anything- and the price charged at collection- is the price on the system on the day- and not the reserved price.

There has been a change in how they handle these type situations- brought about in a large part by the sale of Argos to Sainsburys.

This is also behind the recent test trials of fresh food collections in some Dublin based Argos branches (stocked out of NI). Apparently- it wasn't nearly as successful as had been hoped, but hasn't been ruled out for future trials in other areas.
    lazeedaisy wrote: »
    I went to pickup up a hairdryer reserved at 9.99, and when I put my card in the reservation machine it wanted $84, I just went to customer service who made a price over ride and charged me 9.99, I haven't noticed anything different at my argos, even when buying at ridiculous prices.

This was during the week

Considering you mention the camera deal. I managed to pick one up and the new system actually worked in my favour I think I reserved it at €330 and when I picked it up it was priced at €303 and that's the price I paid. I would almost guarantee it being a one off but it does show a failing in their system already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭ablelocks

it still looks like it needs a person to intervene though - in my case with the lego, the till operator said that they were issued an email instruction by customer service head office not to release the lego at the "wrong" price - she said they "weren't allowed" override the price, but the option was still there for the manager to do so. There were 5 reasons given on the till for the override - she didn't choose the wrong price option, she chose the "sell at reserved price" option. So as long as there are sound people working in Argos, and the majority are, these price errors may still be honoured. If they ever get AI computers to manage their pricing, then we're screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I have no reason to question or dispute any of the above, my previous post still stands. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

In the Argos BA there is a Nintendo 2DS for sale at 99.99 plus free game, this is basically a free game offer ??? Looks like it’s 99.99 all over. Free game how bad but wonder will this get cheaper closer to Xmas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

vicwatson wrote: »
    In the Argos BA there is a Nintendo 2DS for sale at 99.99 plus free game, this is basically a free game offer ??? Looks like it’s 99.99 all over. Free game how bad but wonder will this get cheaper closer to Xmas?

Between May & July it went as low as €79.99 according to checkargos.

But the free game offer might be gone when/if it drops in price again, hard to know.

http://checkargos.com/product/5985931

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

I don't know if i can post this here, but feel free to move.

There's a scam going around in whatsapp in telling people to claim €500 Argos Voucher by inviting 20 friends,

But after doing so, it brings you around to the start again & doesn't let you claim it, so you think you done something wrong & do it again!

It checks to see if there any duplicate entries in & then it verifies it, which seemed a giveaway alright, but not the voucher sadly :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,635 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

There's a scam going around in whatsapp in telling people to claim €500 Argos Voucher by inviting 20 friends,

But after doing so, it brings you around to the start again & doesn't let you claim it, so you think you done something wrong & do it again!

It checks to see if there any duplicate entries in & then it verifies it, which seemed a giveaway alright, but not the voucher sadly :mad:

Well in fairness if you couldn't tell that was a scam from the start you should probably reduce your access to the internet and social media etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Well in fairness if you couldn't tell that was a scam from the start you should probably reduce your access to the internet and social media etc.

Tbh, It looked too good to be true & will know anymore as it was sent on from a relative & thought it was legit & only recently joined whatsapp as mentioned on here previously it saves you money & that's a big bonus for anyone.
    Boards is the only social media i'm on, don't have time for others & only came on here to tell others to see if it happened to them.

Thanks for the insightful info though ;)
    Now back to the fun:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Also, a Lidl one - €250.00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

vicwatson wrote: »
    Also, a Lidl one - €250.00

Is that the one you have to go to the customer service desk to claim :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭geriatric

Hi

If I buy something on Argos EBay can I return it to a local store if I want?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

geriatric wrote: »
    Hi

Did you call the store and ask ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hi

I left a Targus citrus juicer I bought on the ebay site back to Liffey Valley- no questions asked- was given a gift card rather than a refund- which was fine by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

sunny2004 wrote: »
    Did you call the store and ask ?

No, rather than asking them directly and getting an immediate answer, he came here to ask strangers unaffiliated with Argos instead.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 47 lilka

Hi I noticed MacBook Air for 749 ...older model but reviews suggest almost no noticeable difference. Seems like good deal, I would use it for browsing and not much else so thinking of treating myself

Anyone have a view on whether it's good deal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭Kat1170

No, rather than asking them directly and getting an immediate answer, he came here to ask strangers unaffiliated with Argos instead.

So, every question you have ever asked on Boards was directed specifically at those that know you personally ???????

Nah, didn't think so :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭geriatric

So, every question you have ever asked on Boards was directed specifically at those that know you personally ???????

Nah, didn't think so :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cheers Kat, you got in there before me.. ridiculous response!

Replies to queries benefit all members.

Hi

Using my Google-Fu:

http://stores.ebay.ie/argos-ireland/Help
    Can I return my item to a store?

Currently only Items purchased from Argos on eBay that are Click & Collected from an Argos store can be returned to a store. We’re working hard to update our systems to make all eBay purchases (except large 2 man delivery items) returnable to store but at the moment we’re sorry but non Click & Collect purchases cannot be returned to an Argos store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,715 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

pah wrote: »
    Spec not quite as good as the 13" above but for €288 I think it's a good deal.
    4GB RAM and Quad core cpu with SSD goes a long way on windows 10.

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&productId=1127750

There's a pink version also but less stock

Can anyone comment whether this would handle general internet surfing and programs like WORD/EXCEL with relative ease?

Advertisement