Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Local accounts of 1798 rebellion

• 07-10-2010 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭

Bit of a long shot, anyone know where to get some info on the 1798 rebellion from the point of view of small towns, specifically Charlestown, Mayo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Smartypantsdig

Local Historical Societies are usually a good source for this type of information. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Thanks. I'll have a dig around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

fontanalis wrote: »
    Bit of a long shot, anyone know where to get some info on the 1798 rebellion from the point of view of small towns, specifically Charlestown, Mayo.

Have you tried Google Books? I googled 1798 and a few other local words and came across the transcript to the trial of a local United Irishman in summer 1799. It had an enormous amount of information on him, the organisation of both the Defenders and United Irishmen in the region and much else. The short-form title of the book is Cobbett's complete collection of state trials and proceedings for high treason. (1820, vol 10)

If you know of any local United Irishman who was put on trial maybe there is a transcript of his trial online also.

I did a simple search of 1799 Mayo trial rebellion and came across a reference to a 'List of Persons who have suffered losses in their property in the County of Mayo' in Guy Beiner's Remembering the year of the French: Irish folk history and social memory (Wisconisn, 2007)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Dionysus wrote: »
    Have you tried Google Books? I googled 1798 and a few other local words and came across the transcript to the trial of a local United Irishman in summer 1799. It had an enormous amount of information on him, the organisation of both the Defenders and United Irishmen in the region and much else. The short-form title of the book is Cobbett's complete collection of state trials and proceedings for high treason. (1820, vol 10)

If you know of any local United Irishman who was put on trial maybe there is a transcript of his trial online also.

I did a simple search of 1799 Mayo trial rebellion and came across a reference to a 'List of Persons who have suffered losses in their property in the County of Mayo' in Guy Beiner's Remembering the year of the French: Irish folk history and social memory (Wisconisn, 2007)

Thanks, I'll have a look through it later.
    I'm interested in somethgin specific that might be hard to come across, as I was reading a local history book and it claimed a local blacksmith fled from around that area after the rebellion due to him making weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

fontanalis wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll have a look through it later.
    I'm interested in somethgin specific that might be hard to come across, as I was reading a local history book and it claimed a local blacksmith fled from around that area after the rebellion due to him making weapons.

Could you give Guy Beiner above an email? I'd say he could put you in the right direction. Also, what's the name of the local historical journal in Mayo? Or is there a county museum in mayo? There'll be somebody in both those places who should be able to help.

Go n-éirí an t-ádh leat.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Go into the National Archives on Thomas Street in Dublin 2. (Just off Aungier st., down the road from DIT) Ask for the 1798 papers. They are in a gigantic collection that is almost impossible to navigate, but you should find something relevant to the Connaught Republic ;)

Advertisement