Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

20 staff laid off

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Tasks for tomorrow:
    Delete all '1' saved presets on my various radios...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Listening myself, the link is now "This is...105.2". Depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

Birneybau wrote: »
    Listening myself, the link is now "This is...105.2". Depressing.

Isn't it? I think someone is trying to give us a message with some of the songs chosen so far - Pulp, After You and Editors, An End Has a Start...
    Really hope the talent that's been let go finds a voice somewhere else. I loved the fact that I was listening to people who absolutely live their love of music. You certainly don't get that everywhere on the dial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Piriz

watching on digital tv it says Phantom Tunes: Back to back Phantom favourites and the best new music till dawn; Start: 00.00 Duration: 420 min..

it is a bit depressing...if it was a national radio station it would have been huge!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I really don't know what I am going to listen to now on the radio... really sad to see it go.

• Advertisement

yea its a disaster, ever drive out of dublin to limerick or something..after about a 100k phantom disappears off the air.. its poxy ! then when you drive back and you can hear it again...its relief...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Anyone remember when Sunshine (I listen to the red hot sound of sunshine one-oh-one) went off the air years ago?

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Anyone remember when Sunshine (I listen to the red hot sound of sunshine one-oh-one) went off the air years ago?

Sunset FM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Would have been December 1988!

WE ARE PHANTOM!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭kittycati

kittycati wrote: »

Would have given it five stars myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Yep, they played out to Bridge Over Troubled Water, I was listening and it was sad to just hear the silence after the song finished. I was wondering if Phantom might do the same but it wouldn't have been a great fit. They did play it earlier on in the night though, perhaps a little nod to Sunshine, perhaps not.

I was expecting Joy Division - Love will Tear us Apart to be the final track and it was looking like I had guessed correctly when it ended at midnight but they then ended with The Frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Royaler78

I must say, I found it hugely ironic that Phantom shut down on the same night that Kodaline sold out the O2. Kinda says it all...

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

Yep, they played out to Bridge Over Troubled Water, I was listening and it was sad to just hear the silence after the song finished. I was wondering if Phantom might do the same but it wouldn't have been a great fit. They did play it earlier on in the night though, perhaps a little nod to Sunshine, perhaps not.

I was expecting Joy Division - Love will Tear us Apart to be the final track and it was looking like I had guessed correctly when it ended at midnight but they then ended with The Frames.

I wonder if it was the refrain of "REDEEM YOURSELF" at the end that made them choose Revelate as the final song? I would never have guessed that as the choice of final song in a million years (I love it though). Like yourself, I guessed Love Will Tear Us Apart as a possibility. They also put this up as their final Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/phantom1052/photos/a.97595384189.85603.8093274189/10152256600064190/?type=1&theatre
    But "Redeem yourself x 3" were the final lyrics ever broadcast on Phantom, so there must have been a message there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Slightly OT, but my favourite ever radio sign off tune was ARD (alternative radio dublin, a pirate that broadcast on 257 MW and that was an early home for Ian Dempsey among others).

They finished up with "Fool if you think its over" - sure enough at 8am the next day they started up with virtually the same roster as Radio 257 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

was listening to 105.2 today.

You really miss the banter in between songs.

Are those presenting at the moment the new presenters of TXFM? Cos, that girl this morning wreaked my head. I was kinda glad to get to work. On a teeny tiny plus side, she did play Evil by Interpol and The Ramones.

What made it worse were the adverts (e.g. evening herald) being voiced by the the phantom DJs. Made me sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Sad to see this station go God only knows what the chosen one will reincarnate it too, sad sad day when he rules the airwaves.

Advertisement