Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beech hedging

Options
  • 18-01-2021 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

I've 40m of hedging to put down between my neighbours, I was going to go with a beech hedge. I've couple of questions. There's a bit of water coming in from neighbour side, so I was wondering about putting a drain in and planting next to it or what do people think? Beech hedges need lots of watering apparently but how much is too much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Where do you get beech hedges need a lot of water. Naturally beech grows on chalk which is one of the best drained soil types going. I had hundreds of yards of beech hedge growing on well drained sand no problem. I'd be worried about beech if it was too wet or too exposed.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭rothai

Where do you get beech hedges need a lot of water. Naturally beech grows on chalk which is one of the best drained soil types going. I had hundreds of yards of beech hedge growing on well drained sand no problem. I'd be worried about beech if it was too wet or too exposed.

Yes, well draining soil but keep it well watered I've heard. I haven't a clue. This will be the first ever hedge I've done, so I appreciate the help. Did you have to water it much or get an irrigation pipe in? Any tips or advice appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

rothai wrote: »
    Yes, well draining soil but keep it well watered I've heard. I haven't a clue. This will be the first ever hedge I've done, so I appreciate the help. Did you have to water it much or get an irrigation pipe in? Any tips or advice appreciated

Don't do as I do as I'm just terrible over watering. I try and do a really good job on the planting side (plenty of organic material dug in) then leave the hedge to it.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You have to well-water any hedge when it first goes in and for the first season, after that they are pretty much ok. Mulching it will keep it damp and keep the weeds down.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Pulse1975

I had to replace some of my beech with hornbeam as the soil was to wet for beech. I would say drain if you can before planting beech. No need to water in, in this weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

As above, I planted hornbeam becuase the ground had a tendancy to be wet. It is thriving.

If you are not tied to beech and you have any doubt, I'd suggest hornbeam as a solid alternative.

Advertisement