Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Is there an actual cancellation email address I can follow up on a phone call with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Rang to cancel.

Explained it was because my laptop is no longer capable of receiving the speeds I was promised & that I'm paying for, 240 Mb.

Okay sir but we can increase that for you, we can put you on/up to 360 Mb.

Cos that'll make things better so now instead of only getting say, 30-40 Mbs out of 240 I'll now get 30-40 Mbs out of 360? Oh right.....

They said they'll give me 6 Months Half Price; sod that, sure that's 62.99/2 = €31.49.......for a service my device is not actually capable of receiving anyway!!

Is there specific number to ring to order Vodafone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Just rang to cancel my 250 mb service as I can get by on my mobile service.

The offered me 30 for 6 months and 60 for 6 months, but I said no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

boombang wrote: »
    Just rang to cancel my 250 mb service as I can get by on my mobile service.

The offered me 30 for 6 months and 60 for 6 months, but I said no thanks.

Is this the best anyone has got? I got offered the same and also cancelled with effect from 15 February but wouldn’t mind sticking with them if a better deal was on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Some people have got 9 months half price after a slog with them on the phone.
    Would have thought they should be making it easier and cheaper for all subscribers who ring up to complain/cancel due to Sky and Vodafone's current offerings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

i rang and cancelled.

cancellation date is mid feb

will ring back for deals near months end as i do every year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I rang yesterday, was out of contract about 4 weeks ago but just got around to it. No wait on the phone, just rang 1908 and followed the prompts to talk to cancellation. I chose switching to a different provider as the reason, got put right though.

The person I got was very friendly, I mentioned a couple of small issues and price as the main reason. First offer €10 off, then €15 for a few months.

I said Vodafone and eir are just €30 and I’m not using the full 240Mb with Virgin so no major difference going to 100Mb.

He went off to call somebody (probably because WFH) and came back and offered 6 months half price. I said if he could push to 9 half price I’d stay and avoid the hassle of switching and he said yeah he could do that.

I rang and cancelled last year and signed up under a different name to get a better offer. So this was technically my first year with Virgin. Got the new customer offer last year so happy to get the 9 months this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭fungie

My cancellation came through finally, might be back next year as a new customer. Slightly off topic, for those who have cancelled, I've to return the equipment but they haven't provided boxes. What do people normally do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Mav11

fungie wrote: »
    My cancellation came through finally, might be back next year as a new customer. Slightly off topic, for those who have cancelled, I've to return the equipment but they haven't provided boxes. What do people normally do?

I still have a box (HUB?) sitting here for over a year, they never picked it up. Going to chuck it out shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

I rang them today to ''cancel''. I was out of contract last month. I'm on the 250mb plan which is €59.00 per month. I told them I need a good deal to stay with them as Eir and Vodafone are €30pm for 12 months. He talked about them not guaranteeing that speed malarkey. I said well I'll take my chances, so then he said the best he could do was half price for 6 months and full price for the remaining 6 months. I said if you can do 9 months half price I'll renew the contract today. He put me on hold to get authorisation and came back and agreed to that offer. So, 9 months half price and the remaining 3 months full price. It wasn't that hard to get it in the end so happy enough with that for another year anyway. :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Bosco26

Does anyone change the name on the account each year and enter as a new customer? Only downside I can see ids having to set up a new system each year?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

am i better to wait till after my contact ends? (1st of feb)?
    currently on 250 plan with tv for 55, it's going up to 92 next month.

Called and got offered 74 for 9months (same package)
    or
    76 for 12 months with 240mb

• Registered Users Posts: 11,899 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Bosco26 wrote: »
    Does anyone change the name on the account each year and enter as a new customer? Only downside I can see ids having to set up a new system each year?

Thinking of doing this. Recently married so possible now to get it in the Mrs name. Mentioned it last year doing the phone cancel chat at person I spoke to said id lose service for 30 days even if at the same address as previous account.

Has anybody done this and did you lose service ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭raclle

I could only get the 6 month half price offer. Rang twice this week but they wouldn't budge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

GBX wrote: »
    Thinking of doing this. Recently married so possible now to get it in the Mrs name. Mentioned it last year doing the phone cancel chat at person I spoke to said id lose service for 30 days even if at the same address as previous account.

They used to say 3 months break of service. I have no direct experience of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

am i better to wait till after my contact ends? (1st of feb)?
    currently on 250 plan with tv for 55, it's going up to 92 next month.

Called and got offered 74 for 9months (same package)
    or
    76 for 12 months with 240mb

Out of contract, you will be in a much better position to negotiate with them.
    Should be able to get 9 months half price going on other posters here but might be a slog.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I've done this for the last two years. Gotten the 'new' customer rate under OH's name two years ago and then mine last year. No loss of service for any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Got the 9 months half price (€32.50) for broadband on the third attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,899 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I've done this for the last two years. Gotten the 'new' customer rate under OH's name two years ago and then mine last year. No loss of service for any time.

Good to know Ben. Thanks I'll be ringing them on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭spuddy

Great to hear, pleasantly surprised to hear no loss of service. Did they send you a new router?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭bmc58

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Out of contract, you will be in a much better position to negotiate with them.
    Should be able to get 9 months half price going on other posters here but might be a slog.

Have got this offer from VM for the past three years (due to loyalty) no problem.No name change needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Thinking of doing this. Recently married so possible now to get it in the Mrs name.

Are you full of old fashioned principles that your missus didn’t live with you till you got married ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

spuddy wrote: »
    Great to hear, pleasantly surprised to hear no loss of service. Did they send you a new router?

Ya you get completely new equipment, which is ridiculous. Last year I had to bring the old stuff to the recycling centre as they didn't get it collected. Awful wasteful.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭smurfette2212

Called twice this weekend - first time was offered 6 months half price, and 9 months the second time. We are out of contract which may have helped. Nee customer deals elsewhere are cheaper for sure but I cannot face the hassle of changing (and potentially having to have a technician in to the house!) so staying put :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

I was just offered 6 months at €44, remainder at €59, for 250Mb broadband only. I said not good enough and they just initiated my cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Mav11

I was just offered 6 months at €44, remainder at €59, for 250Mb broadband only. I said not good enough and they just initiated my cancellation.

That’s kind of insulting really, average €52 pm for broadband only, for an existing customer. I left them going on 2 years ago and got an offer through the door on Friday €55 pm, broadband and tv included.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

On 500mb phone and basic channels and was paying €60 for this as new customer. I was with them years and had loyalty but if you move houses this gets wiped that's what they told me even tried to argue this

Anyway contract up soon and it's gone up to €83 with 360 or & €80 keeping horizon.

Tried to get better and will try again next week

How does this compare so I can use it as comparison when ringing them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Mav11 wrote: »
    That’s kind of insulting really, average €52 pm for broadband only, for an existing customer. I left them going on 2 years ago and got an offer through the door on Friday €55 pm, broadband and tv included.

They are actually punishing long term customers for inertia of not moving. So they are encouraging people to leave. Unfortunately most people don't dont shop around and leave. So they are free to just keep increasing prices.

There are other companies with cheaper options and would clean up if they bothered to improve their customer support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

beauf wrote: »
    They are actually punishing long term customers for inertia of not moving. So they are encouraging people to leave. Unfortunately most people don't dont shop around and leave. So they are free to just keep increasing prices.

There are other companies with cheaper options and would clean up if they bothered to improve their customer support.

It's not just that, if you can't get Siro most every other BB provider is phone line based .....I personally wouldn't go back to landline BB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,717 ✭✭✭CoBo55

sonofenoch wrote: »

It's not just that, if you can't get Siro most every other BB provider is phone line based .....I personally wouldn't go back to landline BB

Neither would I.

Advertisement