Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackbox

I cleaned and put away my Husqvarna a few weeks ago but I suspect that I might have to send him out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

Yeah, I just sent C3P-mow out yesterday and will let him chop away for a bit. He's been hibernating for the last, maybe, 6 weeks so there's been zero growth in some places but nearly 2 inches in others, but he'll get that I think.

When he's done now he'll get a full tear-down and clean before storage.

What kind of battery levels do you guys store your units at, or do you worry about that?

What kind of battery levels do you guys store your units at, or do you worry about that?

I haven't even set mine up but I read the manual (rob 1000).
    It says to store with a full battery.

Well I couldn't resist.
    All set up.
    Just realized the timer is the time you don't want him to cut (edit-thats not true,just badly worded in the manual).default set to cut all night.
    I started him manually around 6pm, looked out at 6:25 and he was stuck on a slight hill, went out and the grass had a heavy frost and Rob was covered in ice.
    All within 25mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Daithi_OO

I was wondering about what to do for the winter. It is not that long to be inside can we just carry it out to the outside station about once a month and charge it up. Based on this thread I will definitely unplug the out door station

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Daithi_OO

My mower is making quite a mess around the charging station where it backs out and then performs a 180 degree turn - it follows the same routine every time, It is an ambrogio L250. Any suggestions in programming or landscaping ? I plan on adding some sand to the area. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Daithi_OO wrote: »
    I was wondering about what to do for the winter. It is not that long to be inside can we just carry it out to the outside station about once a month and charge it up. Based on this thread I will definitely unplug the out door station

i brought in my stations as well. have the mower plugged in indoors and just turn on the socket every now and then to charge

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

We are thinking of buying this house
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-carrigrhu-house-cuskinny-cobh-co-cork/172657
    It has 5 acres of land with it but we don't have much time for gardening!
    Would anyone hear have any idea of how much it would cost to get someone in to maintain it and if there are any tips or tricks to keep maintenance to a minimum?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

nino1 wrote: »
    We are thinking of buying this house
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-carrigrhu-house-cuskinny-cobh-co-cork/172657
    It has 5 acres of land with it but we don't have much time for gardening!
    Would anyone hear have any idea of how much it would cost to get someone in to maintain it and if there are any tips or tricks to keep maintenance to a minimum?

It looks an awkward site if you don't have time for a garden. I would let the grassed area up the hill return to woodland and use a a couple of robot mowers for the garden around the house and the large area at the back of the house to maintain the view. The site does not look useful to offer a local farmer to graze part of it, that would maintain the grass so back to woodland would be easier and would occur naturally over the years

I originally had a 5 acre site, I reduced the garden to 1 acre and tried to establish a meadow and fruit garden for the rest thinking it would be easy to maintain but it actually takes a lot more than expected so I let it go wild and now 10 years later its a nice immature wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bedouin79

My mower is making quite a mess around the charging station where it backs out and then performs a 180 degree turn - it follows the same routine every time, It is an ambrogio L250. Any suggestions in programming or landscaping ? I plan on adding some sand to the area. Thanks[/quote

Have a ambrogio l250i elite s+ and mine did the same I split my areas 4 clockwise and 4 anti-clockwise. It helped a bit but the lawn around my charging station is still ripped up I put sand down as a temporary solution. Going to install that perforated garden slabs around in spring

https://images.app.goo.gl/FGJ4kVjBBhGHfp8XA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭NurseBridie

Bedouin79 wrote: »
    My mower is making quite a mess around the charging station where it backs out and then performs a 180 degree turn - it follows the same routine every time, It is an ambrogio L250. Any suggestions in programming or landscaping ? I plan on adding some sand to the area. Thanks[/quote

Have a ambrogio l250i elite s+ and mine did the same I split my areas 4 clockwise and 4 anti-clockwise. It helped a bit but the lawn around my charging station is still ripped up I put sand down as a temporary solution. Going to install that perforated garden slabs around in spring

https://images.app.goo.gl/FGJ4kVjBBhGHfp8XA

Brilliant, I have the same problem and was thinking of slabbing the area, how easy are these to install.

Bedouin79 wrote: »

Brilliant, I have the same problem and was thinking of slabbing the area, how easy are these to install.

Haven’t done it yet, hoping to get to it over the Christmas. Should be 2 maybe 4 of those plastic perforated slabs. I’m hoping it will be straightforward but will report back once done.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

krissovo wrote: »
    It looks an awkward site if you don't have time for a garden. I would let the grassed area up the hill return to woodland and use a a couple of robot mowers for the garden around the house and the large area at the back of the house to maintain the view. The site does not look useful to offer a local farmer to graze part of it, that would maintain the grass so back to woodland would be easier and would occur naturally over the years

I originally had a 5 acre site, I reduced the garden to 1 acre and tried to establish a meadow and fruit garden for the rest thinking it would be easy to maintain but it actually takes a lot more than expected so I let it go wild and now 10 years later its a nice immature wood.

Any Photos??

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭joebre

Lesson learned !

Had a guy doing some jobs and he broke the cable in several places. Blue flashing light.
    Had to buy a continuity tester and found each of the breaks.
    Now have a solid green light.
    Cable not fully buried again but wanted to do test cut.
    Error message saying "Outside working area"
    Has anybody had this error message before ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CowSniffer

Hi All,

Quick question. I'm looking at getting either the Husqvarna 315 or 315x. Both will easily cover my lawn but are the extra features of the X series worth the extra money? Nearly 500 yos of a diff.

joebre wrote: »
    Lesson learned !

Had a guy doing some jobs and he broke the cable in several places. Blue flashing light.
    Had to buy a continuity tester and found each of the breaks.
    Now have a solid green light.
    Cable not fully buried again but wanted to do test cut.
    Error message saying "Outside working area"
    Has anybody had this error message before ?

Sorted.
    Had the left and right wire crossed.
    Switched them and everything back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭hero25

fair dues!! BTW - what continuity tester did you buy? I reckon I'll need one at some stage....

hero25 wrote: »
    fair dues!! BTW - what continuity tester did you buy? I reckon I'll need one at some stage....

Bought this from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ADHQCIO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wire was broken in several places. Would never have found the breaks without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭grind gremlin

Looking for recommendations for a lawnmower for a garden that’s 2500 square meters.
    I’ve no idea where to start.....
    If someone could point me in the direction of a couple of models to consider I would be very appreciative.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CowSniffer

Looking for recommendations for a lawnmower for a garden that’s 2500 square meters.
    I’ve no idea where to start.....
    If someone could point me in the direction of a couple of models to consider I would be very appreciative.

Few questions:
    Is it flat or have slopes?
    Is it in one block or divided in a few sections? A quick drawing could be useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,574 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just an Update to my Rob R1000 Base Station issues.

November i was getting Loop Signal Issues on the mower screen. Having checked all the normal things i then removed the basestation opened it up and found the PCB board had been fried due to a Slug eating through the transmitter and frying a few things.

Tried replacing that part by removing the old and installing a new transmitter. no joy other stuff must have also fried and i wasnt bothered troubleshooting it.

The Rob 1000 shares a charging station with lots of models as its a Husqavarna charging station and PCB. So searched around for new PCB on the net most quotes coming in around 110 - 140 Euro.

Found a french supplier GreenTech who wont ship to Ireland at all. But using MailBoxDe i had it shipped to Germany and then to ireland. Expensive enough shipping but overall PCB was cheaper with shipping than other quotes. thing it came to around 90 all in.

Just swapped out PCB in the Base Station . plugged it all back in to check. Changed the Loop Signal in security settings on the Mower. Then tried to run, head scratch a few minutes was getting outside work zone on the mower. Realised i had crossed the loop signals over each other at the rear of the base station. straightened them out and reconnected. All done!

picked up station and cut the grass down, put down some weedkiller cloth and then spread some stones over the cloth. And reinstalled the base station. Hoping the Stones will ward off any future slugs from doing that again.

Long road 2 months but got there. luckily bad growing time for grass seasonally :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I have had to dig my robots out of the garage and set them off again today at the highest setting. I have had so much growth since November and the last couple of days the garden looks more like a hay field, in the sunny spot's the grass is so long I cannot see my dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Hi all, picked up an Ambrogio 4.0 elite over Christmas. Have a lot of work to do to get the garden ready for it but really looking forward to getting going with it! This has been a great thread to learn all about robot mowers but I’m sure I’ll be back with loads of questions over the next few months! Thanks!

neilc wrote: »
    Hi all, picked up an Ambrogio 4.0 elite over Christmas. Have a lot of work to do to get the garden ready for it but really looking forward to getting going with it! This has been a great thread to learn all about robot mowers but I’m sure I’ll be back with loads of questions over the next few months! Thanks!

Got mine in august, so eagerly looking forward to getting a full summer/years work out of it. Any questions shout

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dodgerooni

Has anyone put their robot mower back out on the lawn yet? I was thinking of putting mine out this weekend, but wondered do you guys reckon it's a bit early yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

dodgerooni wrote: »
    Has anyone put their robot mower back out on the lawn yet? I was thinking of putting mine out this weekend, but wondered do you guys reckon it's a bit early yet?

neighbor let his out for a stroll yesterday. Mine will be a bit yet as I had them out in Dec, will wait for a few dry days then let them off for a wander.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Mine never went in ! Shut it off of dec but out again this weekend

dodgerooni wrote: »

Had mine out until the the big freeze. Going to wait until February until to put it back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭staples7

Was seriously tempted to put it out sat. But with the really wet weather tomorrow followed by a cold spell I thought I better not. The uneven grass is really annoying me lol. Plus I spent so long cleaning the mower I’ll give it until February anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 4head

Great thread with real info. Well done all. I have finalised my auto mower plans largely due to this thread. Was looking at husky to get to 2 lawns seperated by drive. Too risky due to potential car impact therefore settled on 2 mowers, 1 for each lawn both under 300m2.

Decided i would look at other cheaper options such as worx, gardena, mcculloch etc.

Great bargains online at roboexpert.de and amazon.de. Husky 105 on roboexpert for €700 however, they wont allow me to enter irish address. Any work around anyone aware of?
    Roboexpert.co.uk has same deal but see 20% vat therefore it appears to be out of uk and im worried about customs/excise. Any advice appreciated.

Money burning a hole in pocket so looked at worx landroid on amazon.de but they wont deliver to my irish address. As far as i can figure this is due to battery delivery being problematic.

I have emailed all 3 mentioned lastnight but nothing yet. Damn brexit! Sorry for long post but any useful advice much appreciated.

Advertisement