Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who wants to help the newbie?

Options
  • 13-12-2020 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

New to this section of the forum and am looking for some general advice about tech used for filming and editing if you wouldn`t mind.

I`ve spent the last few months exploring an interest in video editing and have been producing some video edits lately with Filmora 9. So far, I have just been using old footage I captured over the years but now want to bring that to a more professional level, all be it an amateurs beginning to progressing to professional level but there are a ew things I cannot wrap my head around in relation to capturing footage, PC system requirements for editing and options for cameras that are going to be appropriate for me starting out going forward.

I was considering a GoPro but noticed that they primarily shoot in 4K res which my laptop will not support for editing being only Core i3. I am in the market for a new laptop as it stands anyway but there`s a lot to consider before purchasing anything. There is no way I am in a position at the moment to splurge 1000-1500 or more euros on a Core i7 laptop to support 4K editing and so I am wondering where this leaves me in terms of both what camera`s I should be looking at (1080p or lower res) for taking my projects forward and what spec laptop I should be looking at for editing that footage going forward. I could probably stretch my budget to a Core i5 but is it even worth going to a core i5 if I am not capturing footage that is 1080p or higher? Also, is there even any point in shooting in a lower res than 1080p or does it look like absolute dog s**t?

Something that has misled me lately also is that my phone (Galaxy A70) shoots in 4K UHD and I recently put a clip from it into Filmora and it edited it and played it back perfectly with no lag despite my laptop only being a Core i3??

Any advice in what the next logical step is for me in relation to bringing things forward for both a laptop, camera and editing would be massively appreciated.

Comments

you don't need to spend that much on a laptop (1000+)

laptops with amd cpus are actually better than the intels in the same price range due to having more cpu cores for the price

look for 4500u, 4700u or 4600h cpu-based laptops

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

glasso wrote: »
    you don't need to spend that much on a laptop (1000+)

laptops with amd cpus are actually better than the intels in the same price range due to having more cpu cores for the price

look for 4500u, 4700u or 4600h cpu-based laptops

Thank you this, And in relation to RAM and Graphics card, I assume I will need to aim or 8GB RAM at minimum? I have absolutely no experience with graphics cards either and how important this will be?

cpus are more important for video editing than gpus

allthough a gaming laptop will have a separate gpu card built in

but some gaming laptops have poor screens (colour accuracy is not great)

what is your budget?

look at the Lenovo legion laptops with the 144Hz screen as it's colour-accurate

you want to check the sRGB rating - should be at or above 100%

16gb is ideal for 4k editing but easy to add 8gb more ram in gaming laptops

most smaller latptops you can't add ram as it's soldered in these days

glasso wrote: »
    cpus are more important for video editing than gpus

allthough a gaming laptop will have a separate gpu card built in

but some gaming laptops have poor screens (colour accuracy is not great)

what is your budget?

look at the Lenovo legion laptops with the 144Hz screen as it's colour-accurate

you want to check the sRGB rating - should be at or above 100%

16gb is ideal for 4k editing but easy to add 8gb more ram in gaming laptops

most smaller latptops you can't add ram as it's soldered in these days

Much appreciated for the response again Glasso. Budget is maxed out at 750 euros and I fear I'll be hard pushed to get a rig that will edit 4K smoothly on that money but maybe I'm wrong. Currently have a Lenovo Core i3 for the last two years which is slowly on it's way out but have absolutely loved it up until now. One of the best laptops I've ever had.

Still can't get my head around how my current laptop is able to smoothly edit the footage from my Samsung Galaxy A70 considering it's only a Core i3 and the footage is UHD 4K. Any thoughts on this?

try out some intensive tasks on 4k like video rendering.

• Advertisement

Hi again,

Just looking to revisit this question again and check in whether a certain laptop I have been eyeing up would be sufficient for 4K editing...

It`s a Lenovo IdeaPad 3 14in Full HD Laptop - AMD Ryzen 7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD.

I would eventually be looking to edit 4K video with the Adobe Suite but wouldn`t be looking to do heavy editing of graphics or animation or anything such as this. Would literally be looking to cut and chop up some 4K footage and have it render smooth with voiceover commentary thrown on top of the video.

Please let me know if ye think this will do the trick.. Also whether the RAM on this is expandable to 16GB. Much Appreciated.

https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/lenovo-ideapad-3-14in-full-hd-laptop-amd-ryzen-7nbsp8gb-ramnbsp512gb-ssd-optional-microsoft-365-family-1-yearnbsp--grey/1600545669.prd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

You might consider,on the camera side, Panasonic Lumix mirror less two thirds.

The advantage with this range is that with cheap adaptors you can use high quantity second hand 35mm film still camera lenses.

There's also the advantage,that being 2/3 , a 50mm standard prime doubles its focal length to 100 mm.

I personally try as much as possible to edit as I go along,in the camera.Good luck.

Advertisement